Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
they're a lot better than my auto rsx, i'll tell u that. i've driven both, and the si is much more responsive and powerful, especially in the upper rpms. shifter's nice too. never driven a base manual rsx tho

· Registered
1,923 Posts
if both cars were equally modded i would say it would always be close unless one driver really sucked! i think it could go either way!

D

· Registered
429 Posts
I think that the SI would win by a little bit because they have the different intake manifold like the S does and they also are a little lighter if im not mistaken. It would still be very close but I think stock vs stock the si would win by a little bit

· Registered
479 Posts
if driver was the same, I also say si would win...not by much though. Due to the fact they are lighter and their redline is higher (to my surprise). I think I read some where that it was around 7500. I don't quite remember. I didn't know about them having different IM either. Either way...it would be a hell of a race stock to stock.

· Registered
259 Posts
Stock for stock the Si will win by a small margin (Maybe half a car to a car). BUT, the base RSX is lighter than the Si. The Si has a few things that the base RSX doesn't. The Si has the same intake manifold as the Type S and it also has a 4.764 final drive (Same as Type R and TSX) that the base RSX does not have. The Si has the same redline as the base RSX...however with the Type S intake manifold it will continue to make power all the way to 7700 RPMs, so with a simple ECU reflash it will really wake up the car (kinda like it wakes up the Type S too).

In the really real world; stock to stock, it's a driver's race between the two ;)

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
out of the poeple who have driven a civic SI or who own one, does the shifter up on the center counsel ever get annoying or tire your arm out, or is it just flat out better?

· Registered
29 Posts
good try I have a si. The car, not driver is quicker than a base rsx. Not slower. As far as the shifter goes i have my si and a 89 240sx. The shifter doesnt get tiring or anything. It would take someone about 30-45 minutes to fully get used to. I actually like it alot more than traditional placement. However if you drive a car with the traditional placement then get back into the si it feels like your reaching really far to get the shifter.

· Registered
40 Posts
I really like the dash mounted shifter. I drove a TSX and found it kind of annoying to have to reach down towards the floor to shift! Also, I put a K20A2 in my Si, so I have the best of both worlds - Si utility and style (yes, I like it) with Type S performance.

· VS. Godzilla
782 Posts
I never raced one to my surprise... Not much SI in my area. What 1/4 time do the SI run in stock form. I think the SI wins the race because of 15in wheels? given same engine but minor differences in stock form? So SI will win I guess... Someone did an analysis for Klutch b4. 5lbs to each wheel will lose .2secs, so that's about 1/2 car?? Why am I saying a SI is faster? Dunno... But who cares when my car don't look like a GTI... Hee...

· Registered
29 Posts
s800racer said:
I really like the dash mounted shifter. I drove a TSX and found it kind of annoying to have to reach down towards the floor to shift! Also, I put a K20A2 in my Si, so I have the best of both worlds - Si utility and style (yes, I like it) with Type S performance.
Do we really have to put in the whole k20a2? I didnt think so but im not sure. I thought we could just swap heads and itd be the same cause we have the same block correct or incorrect?

· Registered
40 Posts
soon2besr20 said:
Do we really have to put in the whole k20a2? I didnt think so but im not sure. I thought we could just swap heads and itd be the same cause we have the same block correct or incorrect?
Swapping heads will give you the "real" vtec system and all the rpm capability of the type-S but the K20A3 has less compression than the A2 so it will not be the same as swapping the complete motor. Frankly, swapping the complete motor is not difficult & probably easier than swapping heads. :driving:

· Registered
186 Posts
The base Base RSX model in Canada weighs 115 lb less than the Civic SIR, so I imagine that would give it an edge. The RSX also has 9 lb/ft more torque at 4000 rpm vs at 5000 rmp.

· Registered
668 Posts
i beat civic si's left and right... old 99-00 and the 02+ up. base rsx wins with equal mods and stock for stock IMO. i have seen very very many civic si's run low 16's. like 16.1's some are in the high 15's though.

good luck
Nick

1 - 20 of 166 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.