Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching, but I only found Type-S threads.

Just curious if any base owners (5 speed) are running with CAI, Race Header (JRRH), Exhaust w/ Hondata? I already have an Injen CAI (will install Sun), Race Header (JRRH), and Full Catback Exhaust (Greddy Evo) and was curious if it's really worth getting Hondata ECU? That's my last performance piece I plan on purchasing and was curious if I should get it (is it worth it) or should I just leave it at I/H/E. I just wanted to add a little something just in case a tiburon, eclipse, civic, or other rsx owners rev on me.

Main question/topic: Is it really worth getting Hondata with I/RH/E for a base RSX (5 speed)?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
You won't be faster than a Type S in the quarter mile, still. You'll wip them to 60 mph but they'll pull you back in and take you by 1320 feet.

It's worth it if you simply want the satisfaction of making your car more fun. If you're expecting to be faster than some other specific car then no, it's not worth it, because there will always be a faster car out there.

9,696 Posts
No way? I would expect a little more...
I could be way off but doesn't hondata alone give you a decent 7-10 whp? Doesn't a cai almost gain the same?

·
Registered
792 Posts
i VieTEC said:
it's not worth it, might as well get boost
yeah with all that money going into bolt ons, might as well go FI.

CAI= 200 +
Header= 1000 +
Exhaust= 700 +
Hondata= 600 +

2500.. for about 30 whp.. and that's being generous.

for abot 6000 you could get a CN stage 1, you could probably push around 230 WHP (i dunno)

actually, neither.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
I have to admit that I was Type S envy before. But honestly a base with i/rh/e+hondata will only hang with a stock or slightly modded Type S.

The K20A2 is superior to the K20A3 in everyway even after boosted. Everyone can say that the base has lower compression and can boost more. To me that's bullshit because the base internals and less flowing head will never match up to the Type S when modded. If you want a fast base the only way to go is BOOST but don't expect to beat a Type S with the same level of boost.

Antiturban :wavey: did you go to that hunington beach meet?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well... thanks for some friends and other base owners that supported me there. I do plan on getting hondata and will dyno, run, and race type-s, just to see what I accomplished. This is how I figure it, Base $19,000 (I payed 18200) compared to $23000 for type-s. I spent $500 for exhaust, $525 for race headers, and $230 for cai...and looking to pay about $600 for hondata. That equals to a total of $1855. Installation was included and in doing it myself. Still cheaper than a type-s, hopefully faster than stock type-s, and pay much lower insurance than a type-s. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a type-s over a base RSX, but since I don't pay for my car or insurance, I had to get what my father gave me (a base RSX) since insurance was cheaper along with the price of the car and then putting me behind the wheels of a type-s will only promote me to racing and speeding more. I just wanted to add a little extra ponies to the base, no harm in that right? Lucky for me, I actually have a shop about an hour and a half away that is an official hondata dealer and tuner. Hopefully all goes well and I will have hondata in about 2-4 weeks.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
shoktongvtec, I believe you're wrong about the 15-18 hp with this setup. I don't really remember who, but I remember some base member posting up dyno with CAI/shorty header/Exhaust and jet ecu (which is actually proven that it does nothing for performance now) to gain a little over 15 hp. He dynoed around 152 hp on some 18" wheels, given that a stock base rsx has 135 whp (average). There's a pretty descent difference from shorty headers to race headers and hondata to jet ecu.

·
doing stuff
3,595 Posts
chongga02 said:
shoktongvtec, I believe you're wrong about the 15-18 hp with this setup. I don't really remember who, but I remember some base member posting up dyno with CAI/shorty header/Exhaust and jet ecu (which is actually proven that it does nothing for performance now) to gain a little over 15 hp. He dynoed around 152 hp on some 18" wheels, given that a stock base rsx has 135 whp (average). There's a pretty descent difference from shorty headers to race headers and hondata to jet ecu.
You are absolutely right dude. There is more potential in the base than 15-18 hp and with that set-up you will maximize that potential (outside FI). I'm thinkin you'll be real close to stock type s horsepower and the beauty of that is that it will come on earlier in the rpm range. With the Hondata you'll still have better low end torque than type s. There aint nothin wrong with a base. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have some Yoko ES100. They're probably not as good as toyo proxes, but still hell of a lot better than stock. Well, this coming Friday, I plan on taking out the immobilizer and ecu to send it out and finally get hondata. Hopefully it will all be worth it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You won't be faster than a Type S in the quarter mile, still. You'll wip them to 60 m

i got this set up...and it true..you will take an S off the line...but after about 75 ...type S gona fly by you.....i race my freind S the other night he got comptech ice box...off the line i took him by 2 car in 3rd gear he just walk by me.. :jigglemad ...but Hondata is a very good mod make your car more fun

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ooi3igToO, hey I remember you mentioning you were able to turn off the CEL. Do you mind telling me how you accomplished that?

Oh and thanks for the info about connecting the o2 sensor wire, it got it to work finally.

·
Banned
3,328 Posts
Ooi3igToO said:
i got this set up...and it true..you will take an S off the line...but after about 75 ...type S gona fly by you.....i race my freind S the other night he got comptech ice box...off the line i took him by 2 car in 3rd gear he just walk by me.. :jigglemad ...but Hondata is a very good mod make your car more fun
Your friend with the S must be a shitty driver. I've owned both a base and a S, and I can tell you my modded base could never come close to my stock S. Aside from the HP advantage the S is also geared for performace, while the base has longer gears for fuel economy.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, if you only put an exhaust or intake on a base, of course it won't come close a Type-s. I think with this setup (CAI/RH/Exhaust and Hondata), you might have a chance of winning a race against a stock Type-s or at least hang with it. Look at Klutch's RSX (base), he's running in the mid 14's w/o a race header...is that not faster than a stock type-s.

*Before I get flamed, I'm not putting a type-s down since I would love to have a type-s over my base, but you're politically incorrect about a modded base not comparing to a STOCK type-s.*

·
Banned
3,328 Posts
chongga02 said:
Well, if you only put an exhaust or intake on a base, of course it won't come close a Type-s. I think with this setup (CAI/RH/Exhaust and Hondata), you might have a chance of winning a race against a stock Type-s or at least hang with it. Look at Klutch's RSX (base), he's running in the mid 14's w/o a race header...is that not faster than a stock type-s.

*Before I get flamed, I'm not putting a type-s down since I would love to have a type-s over my base, but you're politically incorrect about a modded base not comparing to a STOCK type-s.*
You aren't taking driver into account when you talk about klutch. He's only putting down 150whp the reason he's running 14.6 is because he's a great driver. Put equal drivers in a modded base (150-160whp) and a stock S (170whp), better gearing for the S. Unless the driver of the base is a much better driver his chances of coming out on top are pretty bad.

Quickest ET N/A Base
01. 14.663 @ 94.38 - Klutch RSX
02. 14.999 @ 93.19 - corso28
03. 15.410 @ 89.96 - AcuraGuy
04. 15.551 @ 88.50 - MTO RSX
05. 15.643 @ 88.92 - K20Aracer
06. 15.653 @ 88.16 - ZVitas
07. 15.660 @ 86.03 - d2coupe
08. 15.936 @ 85.11 - Another LeveL DJS
09. 15.973 @ 87.35 - basersx03
10. 15.994 @ 88.74 - pigpen

using klutch as an example isn't a great idea since he's the only base driver on record to be hitting those times, thats less then 1% of all bases.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts