Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share the results of my basic maintenance at 67K miles. I decided to get my valves adjusted and my spark plugs replaced at a local shop in Houston last week. I wasn't expecting much change in driveability, but the car runs noticeably smoother now throughout the powerband.

The car used to hestitate (sometimes feeling like the engine was hicupping) when I'd downshift during deceleration. The car would also run kind of erraticly when I'd release the gas and keep it in gear while cruising at higher rpms. But now the engine runs smooth all the way through the rev range, especially while decelerating. It was money well spent that I'd recommend all owners take advantage of at 60K miles. Personally, I wouldnt recommend paying a dealership $250 to run through their laundry list of BS work. I did the tranny fluid change on my own and the rest of the stuff on the list is mostly crap. I just didnt trust myself to adjust the valves and the shop offered to change my spark plugs for almost nothing.

Hope this helps anyone deliberating on whether to get maintenance at 60K miles.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
wat exactly did you do for the 60k maint... I have 85,000, what do you recommend me doin to time as far as gas mileage is concern?

·
Hi there
696 Posts
Honda doesnt recommend valve adjustments on our vehicles til 105k miles, and they only recommend it if they are noisy. I wouldnt suggest getting it done before 105k then unless your valves are starting to get noisy

·
7,611 Posts
Honda doesnt recommend valve adjustments on our vehicles til 105k miles, and they only recommend it if they are noisy. I wouldnt suggest getting it done before 105k then unless your valves are starting to get noisy
Doesn't hurt to check - lol - if you know what you're doing, of course. Pretty simple job to check them; a little trickier to adjust.

Honda doesn't recommend replacing the spark plugs until 100 or 110, but I'm sure glad I replaced mine at 55K. They looked like crap.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The shop I used in Houston is called ASAA Racing - it's off Longpoint and Blalock on the west side of Houston. They gave me a much cheaper rate than a stealership. Tell them Chris with the RSX sent yah.

As for waiting until 105K miles for spark plugs and valve adjustments, it all depends on your driving style, whether you can hear them tapping, and how your car is running. I thought my engine was running a little rough and it really is much smoother now. I'm sure this also restores a tiny amount of power, but it's worth it just for peace of mind as far as I'm concerned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.