Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the plan is to build my 03 RSX Type-S. I just want to add a few basic bolt-ons. Injen CAI is first on the list, next will be a Megan shorty header and finally I want to get either the Borla cat-back or HKS Hi Power cat-back. The only thing that I'm unsure of is whether the header and exhaust will bolt right together or not. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, It's good to know that they should bolt up. So, is there any advantage that the HKS exhaust has over the Borla or vice versa? I don't have my heart set on either. I really just want a free flowing exhaust that's quiet.

·
Registered
651 Posts
OK, It's good to know that they should bolt up. So, is there any advantage that the HKS exhaust has over the Borla or vice versa? I don't have my heart set on either. I really just want a free flowing exhaust that's quiet.
I believe the borla is known as a quieter option, whereas the HKS is the most popular exhaust for the RSX, and will probably grant you (negligibly) larger gains. If you are looking for both free flowing and quiet, the most popular exhaust in that category is the Invidia Q300.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Red. Have you heard anything about Megan Racing OE-RS catback exhaust. The description says it's factory-like with larger diameter tubing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I just noticed that the Megan header is 4-1... that's out. Now I'm thinking DC Sports 4-2-1 ceramic shorty header. I think I may indeed go with the invidia q300 exhaust as well. I am going to stick to my guns on the Injen CAI. Does anyone know of a comparable and less costly header than the DC 4-2-1 shorty? Once again I appreciate everyone's input.

·
A Little Dirt Never Hurt
998 Posts
I believe the borla is known as a quieter option, whereas the HKS is the most popular exhaust for the RSX, and will probably grant you (negligibly) larger gains. If you are looking for both free flowing and quiet, the most popular exhaust in that category is the Invidia Q300.
^This, had a borla for a few years, great exhaust if you want something quiet, replacing it with a q300 i have sitting in the box whenever chibera is over

·
0 Posts
I would skip the shorty header and get a race header. If you do go with a shorty any exhaust would be fine since you won't gain much with the shorty or exhaust.
If noise level is a concern, I would definitely not consider a long-tube header.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would skip the shorty header and get a race header. If you do go with a shorty any exhaust would be fine since you won't gain much with the shorty or exhaust.
The idea is not necessarily to get the biggest gains. It's just a mild build to make a sporty car be a little more sporty without doing something that will exceed the limits of the factory drive train and suspension because factory=reliable. I just want to go a little faster and change the power band to include some respectable mid-range. I like the i-vTech but it's really reminiscent of the turbo lag of yore. I do appreciate your input and any other advice and tidbits are more than welcome.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, and by the way, does a polished header offer any advantage over a ceramic header or is the difference purely aesthetic?

·
Banned
295 Posts
Don't waste your money on a shorty header as the stock type s exahust mani is nearly identical to any aftermarket shorty header. As for polished or not I assume you mean stainless steel or ceramic coated in which case the ceramic would be a better choice because it is suppose to reduce radiant heat from the mani. And get the invidia q300 if you want more power without it being loud.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
So, I just noticed that the Megan header is 4-1... that's out. Now I'm thinking DC Sports 4-2-1 ceramic shorty header. I think I may indeed go with the invidia q300 exhaust as well. I am going to stick to my guns on the Injen CAI. Does anyone know of a comparable and less costly header than the DC 4-2-1 shorty? Once again I appreciate everyone's input.
As others said, if you aren't going with a race header, save your money and spend it on something else.

If you are concerned about passing emissions, you might consider the K-Tuned header. It is a two part header, and they are due to come out with a version that has a cat in the "test pipe" section of the header. It is fairly similar to the DCRH, except the K-Tuned has the correct pairing of cylinders (DCRH does not). They also have an interesting 3" exhaust, but it is rather loud. Anyway, I believe the cat version of the header is supposed to be out this spring.

See this thread:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=920993

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't want a header for the p overall power increase so much as I want to alter the power band to include more low and mid range power. This is just what I was hoping for. I don't know how well it will work or if a header even has that much influence on the power band. As for emissions, I'm not too worried, no one around here uses a sniffer anyway. Maybe a race header is the way to go. Like I say, I'm always open to recommendations and suggestions.

·
Banned
526 Posts
obxr v2 comptech replica stop thinking and just buy it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
obxr v2 comptech replica stop thinking and just buy it
The thing about that is that I really want to make the right decision as to which parts I buy so that I'll be happy with the finished product as opposed to having buyer's remorse or buying and re-buying different versions of the same thing until I end up with what I want. Do feel free to chime in should you come up with something more conducive to my thread or more helpful to me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts