Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
9,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Drag Advice for Baytown speedway

Ok guys,
This weekend im probably going to go the the track for the first time ever! Im really excited cause ive never owned a car track worthy until now.
So i need some advice on what i should do to help with my 1/4 mi runs.

I have 3/4 bald tires in the front, and 1/2 worn down tires in the back. Should i leave the balder tires in the front or not? Should i lower the tire pressure to around 23 psi in front?

Also, ive been reading, it seems like a good rpm to dump the clutch at is at 3-3.5rpm.
Would yall advise me to do this if this is my first time at the track? Im not worried about handling the car, just want to reduce wheel spin as much as possible.

Oh and i have a drop in k&n filter(i know nothing big) and i am located in humid as hell houston texas. Any predictions on what i may achieve with my time slip?
thanks guys for the help

·
Former Mod-Still a God
209,105 Posts
Deff put the less bald tires on the front it will help with traction. Lower tire pressure to around 22 psi. DO NOT DUMP THE CLUTCH!!! This is how you will get wheel spin. Yes You should launch at about 3-3.5k rpms but feather the clutch on the start so you will get minimal wheel spin. In terms of the tree do not wait for the green light to come on to go, when the last of the 3 yellow lights lights up go, by the time the car moves past the beams it will be green and your reaction time till be pretty good. Good luck

·
9,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow thanks, thats really good information to know!
thanks again

·
Former Mod-Still a God
209,105 Posts
no problem it all just takes practice ive been going to the track for a while and it took me a bunch of times to get everything right so dont get discouraged if you get a few bad runs. oh and as far as your times go with just a drop in filter and humid weather and being your first time im saying prob low to mid 15's. Let me know how you do. :thumbsup:

·
9,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh, and also, when you mean feather the clutch, do you mean do not push the clutch all the way down? Im sorry but this is my first manual tranny car ive ever owned....

·
9,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nvm, i figured it out lol

·
Former Mod-Still a God
209,105 Posts
oh, and also, when you mean feather the clutch, do you mean do not push the clutch all the way down? Im sorry but this is my first manual tranny car ive ever owned....
its cool i had plenty of questions my first time too. Feather the clutch mean instead of dumping it you dont let the clutch out all the way on the start. When you start give it 1/2- 3/4 on the throttle and somewhat slowly let out the clucth and keep giving it more gas at the same time until you feel the car has decent traction then let out the clutch all the way. Do not ride the clutch for more than a second or two otherwise you will burn it out or blow it. It takes finesses so i suggest just getting a feel for the car before you try since its your first manual

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.