Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: See new posts, as I'll be posting more updates on different mods.
5/03 Acura A-spec suspension installed
5/18 Sent out for hondata reflash

This thing is great! It's much quieter than the stock box when I want it to be (under 5000 rpm) and way throatier on full throttle at high rpm. Vtec sounds amazing now.

Ever since installing the Hasport 60a motor mount the car developed an annoyingly loud resonance in the cabin at around 4000 rpm making DD and Highway driving uncomfortable. Thankfully this intake has completely eliminated the noise.

My main concern is the radiator hose makes contact with the intake which I believe is transferring heat into the aluminum intake piping. I am considering wrapping the intake with some kind of heat resistant wrap, maybe fiberglass to protect against conductive heat. If you have any suggestions on that front, I would much appreciate it!

I also saw that there's a specialty radiator hose for just this problem, so I might go for that: https://www.kseriesparts.com/GTE-21229-A.html

Here's the money shot of the engine bay https://i.imgur.com/gSJpV02.jpg

·
I can get that for you
781 Posts
This thing is great! It's much quieter than the stock box when I want it to be (under 5000 rpm) and way throatier on full throttle at high rpm. Vtec sounds amazing now.

Ever since installing the Hasport 60a motor mount the car developed an annoyingly loud resonance in the cabin at around 4000 rpm making DD and Highway driving uncomfortable. Thankfully this intake has completely eliminated the noise.

My main concern is the radiator hose makes contact with the intake which I believe is transferring heat into the aluminum intake piping. I am considering wrapping the intake with some kind of heat resistant wrap, maybe fiberglass to protect against conductive heat. If you have any suggestions on that front, I would much appreciate it!

I also saw that there's a specialty radiator hose for just this problem, so I might go for that: https://www.kseriesparts.com/GTE-21229-A.html

That’s hot :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ordered some fiberglass wrap and a radiator hose, will keep this thread updated on the temps Ive recorded via OBD2 port:

pre coolant hose, pre fiber wrap:
A/c Off, multiple hard pulls to 8000 rpm for 10 minutes:
Ambient temp: 14* C
Temps max out at:
Intake: 28*C
Coolant: 78*C

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Okay a few things
1) The air does not stay in the intake pipe long enough to even be affected by the radiator hose touching it, the pipe may be hot but that air is moving at the speed of light thru it lol.

2) If you're worried about heat (which by the way that shield is doing absolutely nothing to prevent) you should have gotten a CAI, that wrap is doing nothing for you.

I learned this after going thru the same steps you did years ago. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the wrap isn't doing much- maybe taking a few more minutes before it heatsoaks. I'm going to install a Hondata IMG soon.
How do you like the KT end user? Have you used any other reflash/tunes before that?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Yeah the wrap isn't doing much- maybe taking a few more minutes before it heatsoaks. I'm going to install a Hondata IMG soon.
How do you like the KT end user? Have you used any other reflash/tunes before that?
I love the Ktuner end user, had it tuned by javituned here in south Fl. I had the Hondata regular reflash before, made 202 with that, then got the RH reflash, made 209 then now the Ktuner end user with RBC and made 220. Car drives so much smoother than the reflashes and still gets 30mpg highway. Another benefit of the Ktuner on the 05 -06 is that it uses the stock computer, no need for a 02-04 ecu.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed the A-spec strut/coilover kit a few weeks ago. Got it for $600 shipped at OEMacuraparts.com and installed it myself in about 5 hours. If I had to do it again I could cut that time in half. Anyways the ride is so much better, it feels like a brand new car. It has even better handling characteristics, less roll, and less steering input required. I haven't gotten an alignment yet but that should improve it even more so.

Last week I fixed the issue with the intermittent a/c engagement. I measured the gap between the pulley and the clutch and it measured .04" which is out of spec by .026" . I solved the issue by removing the clutch plate - which is held on by 1 12mm center bolt - and removed one of the shims thus reducing the gap to within spec. . The clutch ($60 kit includes new bearing and coil) will still need to be replaced but I probably bought myself a year.

This week I sent the ECU away for a Hondata reflash and I'm anticipating it back by Friday- very excited for this.

I'm thinking about Hondata IMG next along with a starter rebuild.

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,195 Posts
Nice pick-ups, dude! :fistbump: I did the same things. You will like the reflash over stock for sure, but you may catch the mod bug for more... And props on the A/C engagement resolution, wow.

If you do the IMG, you should consider getting a PRC intake mani (or maybe an RBC, but then you'd need a different tune/reflash...). Just saying/mentioning this because it's a lot of work (if you ask me) just to put in that IMG, so if you were thinking about swapping in another intake manifold someday, that's the time to do it. PRC shouldn't mandate a tune like the RBC will, but would still benefit from one obviously

·
Registered
842 Posts
I did that. and after a few months the wrapped upper hose desintegrated when i was removing the intake and i had to replace it.

Edit: See new posts, as I'll be posting more updates on different mods.
5/03 Acura A-spec suspension installed
5/18 Sent out for hondata reflash

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hondata Reflash has come back, and all I can say is WOW. I should have done this 10 years ago! I think I need better brakes now. lmao at how fun this car is now with more power, better suspension and motor mounts.

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,195 Posts
It might be arguably perfect now, if you can be satisfied with it :thumbsup:. You have done the mods with the greatest returns for your money (unless someone argues a turbo is), but anyways, the comments by mindsmirror on this video are relatable:
https://youtu.be/00ZKPpqZJPk
A header and tune for it another good bump up too, but there are downsides

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It might be arguably perfect now, if you can be satisfied with it :thumbsup:. You have done the mods with the greatest returns for your money (unless someone argues a turbo is), but anyways, the comments by mindsmirror on this video are relatable:
https://youtu.be/00ZKPpqZJPk
A header and tune for it another good bump up too, but there are downsides
Haha that's the problem isn't it? Are we ever satisfied? Anymore power and I foresee this car having serious traction issues. Besides a stiffer rear sway-bar I think I can move on from the performance aspect to the aesthetics now. The clear coat is peeling and the paint shows it's age - almost 14 years un-garaged in the SoCal sun. I'll be attempting a DIY bumper repaint before anything else - and if that does not go well I'll try it again, then I'll take it to a professional. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
948 Posts
I think in CA basic bolt-ons and the Hondata Reflash is good enough to me. It has enough pick up for daily and you can still smog the car. Anything more, its too much to deal with smog and you'll start breaking parts on an older car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts