Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
06 TypeS
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i am about to order all of my bearings and i noticed that 9 of the main bearings are red and the middle top bearing is green? Does this sound right? 9 red main bearings and 1 green main bearing? So a red and a green bearing would be on the same journal...

Also i just looked on acuraoemparts and it looks like they only have pink main bearings so i guess its pink :shady:

My rods and pistons are at the machine shop right now so i will hae to wait until tomorrow to get them back to tell what color they are but it shows that there is a pink and a red rod bearing. I just hope they are really red or really pink since i thought the pink mains were red.

I also found this on alldata so i guess they do mis match colors...Idk what you would use 2 diff color bearings for or what instance the are used in.

All in all i will plasti guage the crank to make sure everything is on point. That one lonely color was just getting to me. :laughing:

Use the crank bore codes and crank journal codes to select the appropriate replacement bearings from the table. NOTE:
Color code is on the edge of the bearing.
When using bearing halves of different colors, it does not matter which color is used in the top or bottom.

·
06 TypeS
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the right way is to measure and then get the proper bearing based upon that measurement. You can't guess or take short cuts or you will screw up the crank.
Ya I dont think i should have a problem if i stick to the same colors of the bearings i have in since everything looked perfect when i tore it apart but i will double check the bearings with plasti guage before i order the new bearings. Picking up the block from the machine shop today.

·
06 TypeS
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Does the plastiguage from crsx cover the specs from alldata?

Crankshaft Main Bearing Replacement

Main Bearing Clearance Inspection

To check main bearing-to-journal oil clearance, remove the lower block and bearing half.
Clean each main journal and bearing half with a clean shop towel.
Place one strip of plastigage across each main journal.
Reinstall the bearing half and lower block, then torque the bolts to 29 Nm (3.0 kgf-m, 22 ft. lbs.) + 56° . NOTE: Do not rotate the crankshaft during inspection.

·
Alky fed rat.
1,637 Posts
Ya I dont think i should have a problem if i stick to the same colors of the bearings i have in since everything looked perfect when i tore it apart but i will double check the bearings with plasti guage before i order the new bearings. Picking up the block from the machine shop today.
I think it is best to order the new bearings and then check your tolerances using the new set. If anything looks off order the appropriate new bearing size.
Measuring with the old bearings isn't going to show the actual tolerances the crank sees when the new bearings are installed.

Good luck with your build!!:thumbsup:

·
06 TypeS
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it is best to order the new bearings and then check your tolerances using the new set. If anything looks off order the appropriate new bearing size.
Measuring with the old bearings isn't going to show the actual tolerances the crank sees when the new bearings are installed.

Good luck with your build!!:thumbsup:
Ya thats what im going to do. Finally got my rods back from the machine shop. Now i cant tell if the rods are red or pink because i thought the crank was red but only comes in pink. LOL Why do they make colors so close together. I will post pics in a couple hours to get any advice or what anyone else thinks

Ill post pics compared to the pink crank bearings.:thumbsup:

·
06 TypeS
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are all pretty shitty pics especially close up shots. But here are some pics of the rod bearing compared to the crank bearing.

The crank bearings only come in pink but the rod bearings come in red or pink which is quite retarded to me because the pink looks so muchlike red... Let me know what you think.

·
06 TypeS
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can anyone else tell if these are both pink or if the rod bearing is red lol...

Is there any other way to tell what color the bearing is? It was gay that they have 2 colors that are that similar.

If anyone has a pic of a red rod bearing that i could compare it to please post lol

·
Internet Crack Dealer
34,438 Posts
they are red, the pink is pretty pink and I am not sure if I have ever seen it used in a motor. I have a set for measuring and those are the only ones that I have ever seen in real life. :)

·
06 TypeS
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
they are red, the pink is pretty pink and I am not sure if I have ever seen it used in a motor. I have a set for measuring and those are the only ones that I have ever seen in real life. :)
Ya The one on the right is the crank bearing and it only comes in pink no red. And the one on the left is the rod bearing but it comes in red or pink but it looks so much like the crank bearing that i think it might be pink?

Im not sure what i could use to compare it to a red one because i cant find any pics of any red bearings.:dontknow:

The only thing i have to compare to is the crank bearing thats pink...

·
06 TypeS
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
they all look red to me
I know thats what i thought too and then i looked on acuraoemparts and they only make a pink main bearing and pink or red rod bearing. So atleast the main has to be pink.

·
armchair engine builder
2,484 Posts
I know thats what i thought too and then i looked on acuraoemparts and they only make a pink main bearing and pink or red rod bearing. So atleast the main has to be pink.
could it be brown? They make red shells in b-series but not k. The pink has a distinctively pink colour to it...and that doesn't look very pink.

·
06 TypeS
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
could it be brown? They make red shells in b-series but not k. The pink has a distinctively pink colour to it...and that doesn't look very pink.
Now that i looked up the code on the block crank and rods i figured out most of the bearings. The mains are CCCCC and 44344 which were brown-brown-brown/green-brown-brown. Thosematched up the same as the stock ones i took out...

Then on to the rod bearings. I got 2,3,3,3 off the rods and DBCD off the crank.
From the chart it should be brown green brown black.

The stock ones that i took out were cyl 1 -brown/brown cyl 2 -brown/ green cyl 3 -brown/green and cyl 4 the color was gone so i couldnt see it. I dont know what i should do if i should order the same as the motor looks brn/brn gr/brn gr/brn br/br? or should i use black on cyl 4. As soon as i figure this out i can get it ordered and on with the build.:thumbsup:

·
06 TypeS
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the block has never been changed, you can count on the numbers on the block and the bearing color
So i should go with the black for cyl 4. Its just weird how all the other ones are brown and green and then the end one is black.

What do you think about the new rod? Use the same size bearings that were in the old rod?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts