Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know how good an early 90s Benz 300CE is. On wikipedia it says DOHC, but I think the owner said SOHC, so it might be late 80s. RWD. Its built on the w124 chassis. Straight 6. I THINK 3.0. Automatic with stall converter.

I need a project car, this guy I know owns this car. We're working on it this summer, I might try to buy it from him, but I need to know the potential of this thing.

Please help if you know anything. This car seems to be a rarity, I can't find much of anything online for good performance upgrades, or even an engine swap, new tranny, or suspension stuff.

My main competition is my buddies' twin turbo 300ZX.

(btw I was also considering getting a 300ZX, but I could probably get the 300CE for cheaper IF I can convince the owner to sell it to me, but I need INFO 1st.)

·
Registered
102,512 Posts
lol, i just saw one on the road today. those things are badass old school. but for performance...i wouldn't spend that much money on one since parts for those a re a bit pricey. mercedes are usually heavy because of it's frame but only do it if you have $$$. but whatever your goal is , goodluck to you :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My goal is to get a project car (smaller than the generic muscle car, RWD, lots of potential), and basically soup it up, if not rebuild it, to make it pretty fast. 4-bangers are cool, but I think I want the power of a 6, especially one I can TT, but if I can't, it's okay.

This Benz is sick. I just don't know how it would match up against a TT 300ZX with a few other upgrades.

It's almost summer. i just got a job at a parts store. I've been learning so much about cars, and engines in the past month. I'm dying to get a project car for this summer.

·
Registered
102,512 Posts
Thanks. My goal is to get a project car (smaller than the generic muscle car, RWD, lots of potential), and basically soup it up, if not rebuild it, to make it pretty fast. 4-bangers are cool, but I think I want the power of a 6, especially one I can TT, but if I can't, it's okay.

This Benz is sick. I just don't know how it would match up against a TT 300ZX with a few other upgrades.

It's almost summer. i just got a job at a parts store. I've been learning so much about cars, and engines in the past month. I'm dying to get a project car for this summer.
a well done 300ZX TT is not that easy to beat, since those engines have a heavey aftermarket support. believe me i use to own a Z :) if you want a car that can whoop a 300ZX TT you're gonna need something light and high potential motor and imo the benz just has the pimp factor not enough performance. i would try and get a 5.0 mustang since the price is good and the engine has mad potential

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm interesting. haha pimp factor, thats awesome.

Why not just another 300ZX? I saw a mustang, the 90s one before they tried to bring back the old looks. It has newer, cleaner looking head and tail lights, looked mint. But you really think its a match for a Z?

I originally wanted a pre '75 (no emissions) C3 Corvette.
Then a Miata...
Then I thought the best way is to match it up, plus he'd help me if I needed it.
But then I started thinking about the Benz.

The ZX is kind of heavy too. And the w124 chassis can support a V8, which was used on later models. Both cars were around about the same time. I read that the Benz acctually had one of the lowest drag coefficients of its time.

·
Registered
102,512 Posts
hmmm interesting. haha pimp factor, thats awesome.

Why not just another 300ZX? I saw a mustang, the 90s one before they tried to bring back the old looks. It has newer, cleaner looking head and tail lights, looked mint. But you really think its a match for a Z?

I originally wanted a pre '75 (no emissions) C3 Corvette.
Then a Miata...
Then I thought the best way is to match it up, plus he'd help me if I needed it.
But then I started thinking about the Benz.

The ZX is kind of heavy too. And the w124 chassis can support a V8, which was used on later models. Both cars were around about the same time. I read that the Benz acctually had one of the lowest drag coefficients of its time.
i would think back on the miata....thsoe things can be made as beasts. those are some awesome autoX cars. i've seen some turbo miatas making 300+ rwhp which is great for it's weight. a light RWD car with great handling is the best sport car imo. and don't forget to choose a car with great aftermarket support.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's why I fell in love with it. Then I found out Mazda is THE most expensive car. Like for parts and what not, even more than Audi, BMW, etc. Like for parts and what not. My friend told me, his dad has a Mazda, great cars, but when they break down, you're fucked.

A Miata is cool, don't get me wrong. I love the conv't. Especially when its summer, you're at the beach, and single. But as I thought more into it.... A lot of people mod Civics and what not, aftermarket shit is cheaper than for most cars. But no RWD. So the Miata, well, its kind of expensive. Compared to a ZX, the Miata would need more mods to keep up. You can spend the same amount on both and get a lot more with the Z. At least that's what I think.

What would you do? Your rival is TTing his 300ZX this summer, also adding a racing clutch and lightened flywheel. Maybe some other stuff, and you know he's got plans for bigger turbos in the future.

·
Registered
102,512 Posts
That's why I fell in love with it. Then I found out Mazda is THE most expensive car. Like for parts and what not, even more than Audi, BMW, etc. Like for parts and what not. My friend told me, his dad has a Mazda, great cars, but when they break down, you're fucked.

A Miata is cool, don't get me wrong. I love the conv't. Especially when its summer, you're at the beach, and single. But as I thought more into it.... A lot of people mod Civics and what not, aftermarket shit is cheaper than for most cars. But no RWD. So the Miata, well, its kind of expensive. Compared to a ZX, the Miata would need more mods to keep up. You can spend the same amount on both and get a lot more with the Z. At least that's what I think.

What would you do? Your rival is TTing his 300ZX this summer, also adding a racing clutch and lightened flywheel. Maybe some other stuff, and you know he's got plans for bigger turbos in the future.
this is tough since i've seen some 300zx that have 500-600+rwhp, but i doubt your friend will drop that much money.

i would go with a S13 or S14+ sr20det...those have great potential as well

and lightweight rwd ftw

·
Registered
503 Posts
I need to know how good an early 90s Benz 300CE is. On wikipedia it says DOHC, but I think the owner said SOHC, so it might be late 80s. RWD. Its built on the w124 chassis. Straight 6. I THINK 3.0. Automatic with stall converter.

I need a project car, this guy I know owns this car. We're working on it this summer, I might try to buy it from him, but I need to know the potential of this thing.

Please help if you know anything. This car seems to be a rarity, I can't find much of anything online for good performance upgrades, or even an engine swap, new tranny, or suspension stuff.

My main competition is my buddies' twin turbo 300ZX.

(btw I was also considering getting a 300ZX, but I could probably get the 300CE for cheaper IF I can convince the owner to sell it to me, but I need INFO 1st.)
If you are really good with cars, then i guess benz is Ok. I don't really know how you can beat a 300ZX with an automatic late 80's Benz, even with some aftermarket stuff in it, since they are really heavy, but to each their own. I used to drive a late 80's benz...they aren't really sports cars although they handle really well.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damn, this is really too bad. I don't know anything about MBZ and I really thought this car was my new hope. Shit.

I don't think the 240sx has the potential the zx does. Plus if I was going to fight Nissan with Nissan, I'd go for the 300zx, and if not, the 240z - you can put V8s in those bad boys.

But it looks like my best bet is to get a 300zx. I guess that's not so bad. Save up $2k, buy a front clip, get some additional money for tranny upgrades when I pull the motor for the swap.
But then again... you can put a V8 in a 240z...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts