Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is the best catch can for RSX and does anything special have to be done for a supercharged application? :confused:

·
6,734 Posts
I am using the Greddy catch can. Works for me. Just put something inside for a filter. No sponges, no steel wool. Green scrub pad is working good for me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wdsonny said:
I am using the Greddy catch can. Works for me. Just put something inside for a filter. No sponges, no steel wool. Green scrub pad is working good for me.
What size do I need, 9 or 15mm? What kind of scrub pad, Scotchbrite or what?
Thanks!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wdsonny said:
I have the 15mm type. Yeah, any type of green scrub pad. Cut it and and make like baffles inside the can.
I see by your profile you are using a 3" Thermal exhaust. How did you hook up to motor? I've been considering two ways.
1. Kamikaze header to RSX-S downpipe to custom Carsound cat to Thermal ex. I just don't know dia of stock downpipe where it enters cat.
2.Stock Type-R header with Spoon or similar 2-1 downpipe cut off at Y and cat welded in. From what I've read, low end would suffer with this setup.
Also do I need a cat with midbed O2 port, or would one with ports at either end be O.K.?

·
6,734 Posts
I have the 3inch Thermal cat back. Hooks up to the cat. The RSX has no low end. You won't lose anything by using 3inch.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
wdsonny said:
I have the 15mm type. Yeah, any type of green scrub pad. Cut it and and make like baffles inside the can.
Dammit wdsonny, I asked cuz I didn't want to spend $'s for something that didn't fit. Got my catch can today and realized it doesn't fit. :jigglemad
Now I had spent some time looking at posts,(and looking at the Helms pg 11-40)and you are absolutely right. The catch can should go in the PCV line, not the breather pipe. For everyone's info, air is drawn in from the filter box and is drawn into the valve cover. This allows blow-by (oily)vapor to exit crankcase thru PCV and be drawn by engine vacuum into IM.
You knew this, so why the advice on getting the 15mm catch can and not 9mm? The PCV line is 9mm, the breather line is 15mm. Now I gotta buy more shit to fix it. :firemad: Oh well, "free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it".
By the way everyone, it seems a lot of instructions that come with catch cans say to put it in the breather line, I think there is also a check valve in that line so all it does is flow filtered air in from airbox. That means if you put a catch can there it does...nothing. :eek:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Whats a catch can?

·
Old San Diego Member
4,063 Posts
Since this was in the boost section. I have the JRSC. The PCV from JR is 15mm. My bad about your 9mm. All you really need to do is get a coupler from 9mm to 15mm and you can use the catch can. Not that big of a deal. Didn't know I needed to write a 400 page guide to Catch Can's Made Easy.

This is wdsonny by the way.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Deaconf19 said:
Since this was in the boost section. I have the JRSC. The PCV from JR is 15mm. My bad about your 9mm. All you really need to do is get a coupler from 9mm to 15mm and you can use the catch can. Not that big of a deal. Didn't know I needed to write a 400 page guide to Catch Can's Made Easy.

This is wdsonny by the way.
Yeah I know it's you and know you have a JRSC. So do I and there is not a 15mm PCV in the Jackson kit, there is a length of 3/8"(9mm) hose to extend the PCV line to the inlet manifold of the SC. And the reason I asked you what fit the car is I didn't want to jury-rig a catch can with some ricey :eek: B.S. I wanted something that fit. Didn't need a 400 word guide either, You coulda said "I don't know" or "I shoulda got a 9mm, I had to reduce the hose" or "I'll ask the guy I payed to install it" (sorry, I'm a bit of a smartass and K20A Bubba needed a laugh :laughing: ).
The great thing about these forums is that they are a big database for all. I work in research & development and we learn more from mistakes and failures than we do from sucesses but only if the info is shared among peers. Gladiators like you who have done it are an invaluable source of info on this forum and "we who are about to boost salute you!"

·
Registered
471 Posts
Texas-R said:
Dammit wdsonny, I asked cuz I didn't want to spend $'s for something that didn't fit. Got my catch can today and realized it doesn't fit. :jigglemad
Now I had spent some time looking at posts,(and looking at the Helms pg 11-40)and you are absolutely right. The catch can should go in the PCV line, not the breather pipe. For everyone's info, air is drawn in from the filter box and is drawn into the valve cover. This allows blow-by (oily)vapor to exit crankcase thru PCV and be drawn by engine vacuum into IM.
You knew this, so why the advice on getting the 15mm catch can and not 9mm? The PCV line is 9mm, the breather line is 15mm. Now I gotta buy more shit to fix it. :firemad: Oh well, "free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it".
By the way everyone, it seems a lot of instructions that come with catch cans say to put it in the breather line, I think there is also a check valve in that line so all it does is flow filtered air in from airbox. That means if you put a catch can there it does...nothing. :eek:
woah there, sorry it didn't fit, but wdsonny didn't tell you to buy anything, he simply answered your question of which one he was running, not which one you should buy. calm down a bit.

·
no longer moderate
5,145 Posts
try mine! VW fuel filter! 1.99usd!!!! cut the hose replace when med-soiled!!!
...mateo

·
6,734 Posts
Alright. The Greddy catch can that I bought said it was 15mm. But, I just found out the that the PCV is 9mm. And I am guessing that the catch can is 9mm. I am using high temp, high pressure 3/8inch hoses to connect from the PCV to catch can then from catch can to the inlet manifold. The box that my Greddy catch can said 15mm. I never questioned or second guessed the box and just installed it with hoses other than the ones that were supplied. I got a piece of aluminum and bent it around my tower strut bar with some weatherstripping to prevent rubbing. Then, I just forgot about it. My bad that I gave out bum information, but that was the information that I was given and never questioned it. I will put a picture of my catch can on here.

·
twoplustwo
3,172 Posts
wdsonny said:
Alright. The Greddy catch can that I bought said it was 15mm. But, I just found out the that the PCV is 9mm. And I am guessing that the catch can is 9mm. I am using high temp, high pressure 3/8inch hoses to connect from the PCV to catch can then from catch can to the inlet manifold. The box that my Greddy catch can said 15mm. I never questioned or second guessed the box and just installed it with hoses other than the ones that were supplied. I got a piece of aluminum and bent it around my tower strut bar with some weatherstripping to prevent rubbing. Then, I just forgot about it. My bad that I gave out bum information, but that was the information that I was given and never questioned it. I will put a picture of my catch can on here.
For The Newb That Just Ordered The Race Kit:

I want to purchase this mod......

I'm assuming that the correct one to buy is 9mm and I also need to buy a green scub pad to act as a filter. Correct?

Also what hoses did you use to relace the ones it came with?

·
6,734 Posts
Check out the pics in the link. They show it better than I can explain. 9mm I am guessing is the one I have. Although, the box says 15mm. Go with 9mm because the 3/8 inches is 9.5mm.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts