Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I fight for the SYSTEM
12,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, heres my situation. I have an '02 RSX 5 speed, Desert Silver. Over the last few months, I have learned that this particular K20A3, with its 2 stage intake-cam-only VTEC system and lack of counter rotating balance shafts is the WORST K-Series engine period. Personally, i think it should have been put in the Civic Si (because they are ugly and only Honda's), but their engine has more potential than the luxury sports coupe RSX! Man does that ever piss me off. Anyways, my car was a graduation gift, so i could not openly complain that i could care less for the base, and that to me the only RSX was the Type S. So recently i got to thinking, hmm, maybe time for forced induction. Well, turbo is way too expensive, LOUD, and complicated, superchargers just don't exist for the base RSX, and N20 is rice in my opinion. So, what to do?
Ah HA! engine swap! perfect! ...only one problem, what to do about that obvious 6th gear that wasnt there to begin with? How do i explain that one away? I can't. i also can't just come home from college with a sixth gear and hope it isnt noticed by my parents, who absolutely LOVE my car. So heres my idiotic yet diabolically simple plan...LOCK OUT THE 6TH GEAR. How, you say? simple. I DIY manufacture a plate that only allows 1st through 5th gears to be engaged. this plate is then bolted over my shift linkage. i then cut away a small portion of the console that allows me to insert my key and move the lockout plate in and out of position. the lockout plate will be held in both positions by strong ceramic magnets. I have tested this out by locking out reverse with a thin steel plate and magnets, and not only will it fit, but it will work perfectly.
So what about the new odd position of reverse? Simple. My parents drive their 330Ci BMW more than my RSX, and its reverse is up and to the left of 1st gear, bavarian style. They have each only driven my car once or twice, and the odd placement of reverse will likely not be noticed. What about the shift knob? how about a Spoon Sports titanium piece with no engraved linkage map? But what about the red engine block? Even simpler. Neither of them has ever looked under my hood, and all i would have to do is install the stock manifold and spark plug covers and they'd never know. What about Honda/Acura dealerships? Who cares, all i want is more power and a REAL VTEC system damn it. By fall of this year i will have the resources to pull it off no problem. Also considering the JRSC with the money i get from selling the K20A3 and tranny.....
So, what do you guys think of my Master Plan?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Man are you a crazy assed son of a bitch. If your parents found out they'd kill you. I must admit i like the idea as long as you go for the K20A (Type R) engine. Hey, did you install your HKS ground kit yet? Mine came yesterday and i figured we could do ours together.

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
um... "because they are ugly and only Honda's" the RSX's are Honda's too.:dontknow: An RSX is far from being "luxury", base or typeS it doesnt even come close. The supercharger exists, Jackson Racing has one thats coming out or maybe its already out, do a search.

you have way too much time, how long did it take you to think of all that

·
I fight for the SYSTEM
12,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know RSX's are Honda's, but i HATE the EP3 Civic Si's with a passion. I like the Acura warranty better for obvious reasons (haha they were stupid enough to replace my engine after i dropped a bolt into it by accident) and most people feel that an Acura is superior to a Honda or SRT-4 any day, especially women. Oh, BTW i read the thread about the new Base JRSC and now im seriously torn Im leaning towards JRSC now that theres going to be one because i really dont want to void my engine warranty with an engine swap...As for how long it took me to think it up, hell, ive already done it to TakimotoRacing's 1983 RX-7. it used to be a 4 speed, then got a tranny swap to a 5 speed cause we couldnt find a 4 speed in decent condition after we blew the tranny to pieces. Turns out a 9000RPM launch isnt a good idea after all, even with a rotary. His dad STILL doesnt know there's an extra gear there...

·
Registered
479 Posts
his parents will probably kill him for doing that too. If you do the swap, your parents may not notice the extra gear. If you want...I'll trade you my 5 speed tranny for yours (6 gears).

I'll probably get in trouble when my father comes back from Afghanistan. When he left, it was completely stock and now look at it. I was thinking about jrsc, but decided I'll go with cn stage 1 with flywheel & clutch upgrade. Probably end up doing it in the beginning of Nov...father comes back in mid Dec. Think he'll notice? LOL.

·
I fight for the SYSTEM
12,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Basically i love the LOOK of the car, and TakimotoRacing is a bad influence on me. every time im satisfied with something he questions my integrity and i usually end up doing it. As far as
i didnt know most women knew anything about cars
women usually dont, but generally i have found that RSX's go over better than Neon's any day not only for looks but because its an Acura and most likely their best friend has a POS Neon if they themselves don't.

·
-------------------------
2,151 Posts
6th gear lockout eh?

LOL that's f'kin clever!!! hahahahah

HOWEVER, won't it be wierd, when you're mom is drivin your car, and she's in 5th, and it's cruising at 5000RPM? :D :D :D

What about the tach, are you gonna get type R gauges? New redline, etc.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah RarisRSX did a great job on my dad's RX-7 with the Last-Gear Lockout, but its a functional four speed (TECHNICALLY a five speed with a higher final drive and 5th gear locked out). we've been speculating that it may be possible to angle the linkage slightly so that with a short shifter kit it feels straighter than it is. however, the placement of said 6th gear with regards to reverse still worries me, as his parents have driven it 2 or 3 times before and have has several Hondas since i have known them. Then again hes all hyped about the Jackson Racing base 5 speed supercharger coming out, so maybe he'll can this idea. the four to five speed swap was pretty easy to hide, especially since we swapped out the 4.44 final drive with that of a 2nd gen GXL RX-7 5 speed so 4th gear RPM's were relatively low. Were both crazy bastards though, between the two of us we've had nearly a dozen older sports cars that our parents never knew about just to screw around with.

·
Need Sleep
745 Posts
RarisRSX said:
Ok, heres my situation. I have an '02 RSX 5 speed, Desert Silver. Over the last few months, I have learned that this particular K20A3, with its 2 stage intake-cam-only VTEC system and lack of counter rotating balance shafts is the WORST K-Series engine period. Personally, i think it should have been put in the Civic Si (because they are ugly and only Honda's), but their engine has more potential than the luxury sports coupe RSX! Man does that ever piss me off. Anyways, my car was a graduation gift, so i could not openly complain that i could care less for the base, and that to me the only RSX was the Type S. So recently i got to thinking, hmm, maybe time for forced induction. Well, turbo is way too expensive, LOUD, and complicated, superchargers just don't exist for the base RSX, and N20 is rice in my opinion. So, what to do?
Ah HA! engine swap! perfect! ...only one problem, what to do about that obvious 6th gear that wasnt there to begin with? How do i explain that one away? I can't. i also can't just come home from college with a sixth gear and hope it isnt noticed by my parents, who absolutely LOVE my car. So heres my idiotic yet diabolically simple plan...LOCK OUT THE 6TH GEAR. How, you say? simple. I DIY manufacture a plate that only allows 1st through 5th gears to be engaged. this plate is then bolted over my shift linkage. i then cut away a small portion of the console that allows me to insert my key and move the lockout plate in and out of position. the lockout plate will be held in both positions by strong ceramic magnets. I have tested this out by locking out reverse with a thin steel plate and magnets, and not only will it fit, but it will work perfectly.
So what about the new odd position of reverse? Simple. My parents drive their 330Ci BMW more than my RSX, and its reverse is up and to the left of 1st gear, bavarian style. They have each only driven my car once or twice, and the odd placement of reverse will likely not be noticed. What about the shift knob? how about a Spoon Sports titanium piece with no engraved linkage map? But what about the red engine block? Even simpler. Neither of them has ever looked under my hood, and all i would have to do is install the stock manifold and spark plug covers and they'd never know. What about Honda/Acura dealerships? Who cares, all i want is more power and a REAL VTEC system damn it. By fall of this year i will have the resources to pull it off no problem. Also considering the JRSC with the money i get from selling the K20A3 and tranny.....
So, what do you guys think of my Master Plan?
I think your parents will know something's up when they shift into 5th and they're not in overdrive.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey man, talk to your dad about supercharging it-he was cool with the Dinan Turbo kit for the Beamer, maybe they wont care if your honest with them. screw the tranny, thats not gonna be like the RX-7's, its too tight in there comparing the 6 speed to the 5 speed gearbox. you'll have to rip out the whole center console and cut a shitload to fit that adapter plate in- i couldnt fit it around my shifter, and i doubt a short shifter kit will fix that. Oh yeah let me know if your coming with us to HIN Philly, dave can get us in for free.

·
Registered
180 Posts
my parents gave me a Dodge Ram D250 full size conversion van 2 years ago.

I traded it in for an RSX

fuck em if they cant take a joke :p

·
Registered
7,670 Posts
ChadB said:
That would be funny watching them try to back out of the driveway in sixth gear :laughing:
i did that with my friend's typeS (i have a base 5spd). I put it into 6th and thought i was going reverse but i stalled =( I was backing out his typeS and he was backing out his parent's van. my bad :(

·
B Like Mike
9,330 Posts
That sounds like a good plan...go with it, by the time they notice it'll be too late ...the supercharger will also void ur warranty...and the K20a is potential watiing to be unlocked, 8400redline ~215hp at the flywheel... The ITR tranny also has an LSD!...but if u decide not to swap...go turbo (CYbernatioN)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.