Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

best intake manifold gasket for turbo setup

9K views 24 replies 4 participants last post by  procdaddy 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so its that time when im doing all the little stuff to get my newly boosted rsx back on the road. Im making sure there is no leaks in my boosted motor and im in the process of getting new gaskets. I have had a hondata intake manifold gasket for the last year and have reused it on many projects with my rsx including a intake manifold install, head swap, and recently a complete motor build. now im doing the turbo and my tuner says to go back to a stock intake manifold gasket to prevent leaks under 25lbs of boost. I have read many good reviews on the hondata gasket and its hard for me to buy the oem with all the positive info out there on this gasket.
so... I need suggestions for the right gasket to use this time around. Im throwing away my old im gasket cause it has done its job imo and going all new on this turbo build. should I go OEM gasket or hondata gasket.
lmk which one you used for your build and how it worked preventing leaks ect.
I appreciate the feedback in advanced ClubRSX!!!!!:thumbsup:

#5 ·
Ok i should have looked closer lol
I need A real tight seal for the boost pressure of 25lbs. My tuner just told me to get oem cause its metal and should hold tighter under boost. I just know people stand by hondata gaskets real well and was curious to how it holds up under boost. My tuner says it will be better to have the metal instead of the thick plastic in this case.

#7 ·
Thanks for the reply. I totally trust my tuner, he is a good friend of mine. I just wanted to fully understand this gasket situation. I hope the oem metal gasket works. I'll post results soon

#14 · (Edited)
ok so here is the deal. used the OEM Felpro gasket and Im boosting 20lbs and is holding fine!!!
BUT this is what I found to be better....... I got the Skunk2 pro series im and the oem rsx gasket only covers the 4 inlet holes not the 2 small holes on the side... so I used some hondabond to make the part of the gasket I needed to fix the water leak it caused. let the bond seal over night and it worked!!. The best gasket for me in this case would be the one for the 06 civic si cause the gasket covers the entire Intake manifold area and I would therefore not have to use the bond around the coolant areas. Hope this makes since!!! lol

Still the Car runs great and had no leaks and boosting like a BOSS!!
In the future I will get the 06 civic si gasket instead so I will have a full metal gasket that I truly need.

#15 ·
UPDATE: Had to replace alternator after it just went out all of a sudden. Ordered the 06 civic si gasket and tried it today. Turns out the si gasket wont work with the k20a2 head but will work with the skunk2 intake mani. So....i used the oem rsx type-s gasket AGAIN with the hondabond.
So.... I was wrong about the si gasket on the a2 head. Im still trying to find a gasket that will work with my setup. Lmk what you can find. Thanks

#17 ·
Hacking it off just wont work in my opinion. It seals fine with the Honda bond but is a pain in the ass to let sit overnight when im ready to drive today lol. I'm just surprised the gasket makers have failed to realize this simple issue.

G
#21 ·
OK, it's a PRB head, which is what I thought you meant.

You can use any 4-hole intake manifold and then just use the Type-S water neck. Just like a cut RBC manifold.

Whether or not to cut your Skunk manifold is obviously your choice but if it were my car, I would cut the manifold and just keep the OEM water neck, which uses a far superior rubber O-ring type gasket and will never leak, need sealant, or anything like that. Just my 2-cents.

#24 ·
I got the car back on the road today using the OEM prb gasket/hondabond. No leaks but not saying they won't come later on. I understand now How the coolant side of the head works and its difference from base model. Thanks alot for the info. :) i may consider this method of intake manifold hacking in the future

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.