Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

Can you guys help me with choosing the best option for my 2005 Acura RSX base.
I'm thinking of replacing my stock bulbs for LED or HID. I'm not sure which one is better and also shall I go with 6000k or 8000k brightness?

I would really appreciate is you could advise what to go for. I've read a lot on the internet. Some say that LEDs do not last long or they don't fill the road good. Some say that LEDs do last long.
Some say that HIDs do not last long etc.

I hope you guys know which one is the best option for RSX as you are the real owners of the car.

Please, also advise on the brand and the model you would suggest. I just want something which is long lasting, bright and fill the road properly. And of course, not very expensive.

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
948 Posts
You should do projector retrofit but for budget reasons you can get HID 6000K. You will blind on coming traffic. 8000K is too blue and isn't as bright. LEDs are relatively new so the quality might vary.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should do projector retrofit but for budget reasons you can get HID 6000K. You will blind on coming traffic. 8000K is too blue and isn't as bright. LEDs are relatively new so the quality might vary.
Sorry for probably a silly question, but I'm new into all this. What is a retrofit projector and how is it different/better?

Thank you.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Our headlight housing uses a reflector housing so when you put an HID or LED bulb, it will blind on coming traffic. If you put a projector HID which has a cutoff this doesn't blind on coming traffic.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our headlight housing uses a reflector housing so when you put an HID or LED bulb, it will blind on coming traffic. If you put a projector HID which has a cutoff this doesn't blind on coming traffic.
I see. Thank you for the info. Just checked the prices. I'm not prepared to pay that much at the moment :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any way other than a projector headlights? I cannot afford such an expense at the moment. Is there anyone here who got LED/HID bulbs on stock headlights?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have retro-solutions 35 watt digital HID kit in 6000k and it's definitely better than the halogens in terms of brightness and distance. I aimed the reflector bowls downward a few turns just to be safe. I'm not sure how much it blinds incoming traffic, but I haven't been pulled over the few times I've passed/driven behind cops. Paid $110 or $120 I believe.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have retro-solutions 35 watt digital HID kit in 6000k and it's definitely better than the halogens in terms of brightness and distance. I aimed the reflector bowls downward a few turns just to be safe. I'm not sure how much it blinds incoming traffic, but I haven't been pulled over the few times I've passed/driven behind cops. Paid $110 or $120 I believe.
You have been pulled over or have not? The paid $110 for HID kit or a ticket? I'm confused :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Well aftermarket HIDs are for off-road use only, but no one really police this. It's blinding for on coming traffic. The best way to do HIDs is to retrofit a projector HID in the housing. It's not that hard to do, but takes a lot of time to do it right.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well aftermarket HIDs are for off-road use only, but no one really police this. It's blinding for on coming traffic. The best way to do HIDs is to retrofit a projector HID in the housing. It's not that hard to do, but takes a lot of time to do it right.
How to retrofit the housing? I'm a complete noob. Thx.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Don't do LED. LED's will only point light in the direction the diode is facing. Your lights won't be focused on the road and you'll have less visibility than you have with halogen bulbs. If you get the HID's make sure you aim them at the road properly to minimize glare.

Dopeyrsx is right, retrofits are the correct way to do it. If you can't do the labor yourself, these guys will. You have to pay to play.

http://www.rsxretrofits.com/

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't do LED. LED's will only point light in the direction the diode is facing. Your lights won't be focused on the road and you'll have less visibility than you have with halogen bulbs. If you get the HID's make sure you aim them at the road properly to minimize glare.

Dopeyrsx is right, retrofits are the correct way to do it. If you can't do the labor yourself, these guys will. You have to pay to play.

http://www.rsxretrofits.com/
The retrofits are quite pricey, I'll get HIDs instead of LEDs then and will try to point them in the correct way.
Thank you for the advice. :vtec:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would also like to install fog lights in the under the bumper place. Could you advise which ones to get? LEDs are any good there?

Thank you.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm not sure which fog light kit would be best, I got my car with the factory set. They're about $300, and the lenses like to crack on the freeway due to rocks/gravel. The forums will have info on the aftermarket brands like Spyder and Spec D.

If you plan on using the fog lights as a cosmetic item, LED's are fine. If you actually want to use them for safety while driving in weather that compromises your visibility, I don't recommend it. Just get a nice set of halogen bulbs. I got PIAA Ion yellow, and they work/look great.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not sure which fog light kit would be best, I got my car with the factory set. They're about $300, and the lenses like to crack on the freeway due to rocks/gravel. The forums will have info on the aftermarket brands like Spyder and Spec D.

If you plan on using the fog lights as a cosmetic item, LED's are fine. If you actually want to use them for safety while driving in weather that compromises your visibility, I don't recommend it. Just get a nice set of halogen bulbs. I got PIAA Ion yellow, and they work/look great.
Oh, thank you. I'll research the forum. Hopefully, I'll find something.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts