Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Don't do LED. LED's will only point light in the direction the diode is facing. Your lights won't be focused on the road and you'll have less visibility than you have with halogen bulbs. If you get the HID's make sure you aim them at the road properly to minimize glare.

Dopeyrsx is right, retrofits are the correct way to do it. If you can't do the labor yourself, these guys will. You have to pay to play.

http://www.rsxretrofits.com/
Should I go with 35w or 55w for headlight HIDs?
Also, does anyone know if Opt7 is a good brand for HIDs? I checked retro-solutions and they are twice a price compared to OPT7. I've heard that OPT7 is good but I'm not sure.

Thank you.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I don't think it matters. I went with 35w only because I saw mention of aftermarket HID's somehow melting the headlight housing. Stock bulbs are 55w.

Never heard of Opt7, but I wouldn't base your purchase off of price alone. Half the price is great, but you don't know what quality you're getting. Retro-solutions seems to be a favorite on the forum, and it's already a very affordable price. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I don't think it matters. I went with 35w only because I saw mention of aftermarket HID's somehow melting the headlight housing. Stock bulbs are 55w.

Never heard of Opt7, but I wouldn't base your purchase off of price alone. Half the price is great, but you don't know what quality you're getting. Retro-solutions seems to be a favorite on the forum, and it's already a very affordable price. You get what you pay for.
Okay, I'll go with the proved one - retro.
Is that the one you have? http://retro-solutions.net/product-info.php?35W_DIGITAL_HID_KIT-pid663.html

Did you get a bulb capping? Do we need it in RSX? At the bottom of the page there is a bulb capping choice. :dontknow:
And our low beam is H1 type right?

·
Registered
829 Posts
That's the one. I didn't get the bulb capped because the reflector housing already has a cap built in. It may help reduce glare, but I can't say for sure. 99% sure it's an H1, but you may want to double check.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That's the one. I didn't get the bulb capped because the reflector housing already has a cap built in. It may help reduce glare, but I can't say for sure. 99% sure it's an H1, but you may want to double check.
As I'm gonna fit them in my stock housing, I'll probably need the capping.
Thank you very much man. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I'm not sure which fog light kit would be best, I got my car with the factory set. They're about $300, and the lenses like to crack on the freeway due to rocks/gravel. The forums will have info on the aftermarket brands like Spyder and Spec D.

If you plan on using the fog lights as a cosmetic item, LED's are fine. If you actually want to use them for safety while driving in weather that compromises your visibility, I don't recommend it. Just get a nice set of halogen bulbs. I got PIAA Ion yellow, and they work/look great.
Ordered HID kit from retro-solutions for my headlights.
Could you tell me what is the exact bulb you have for fog lights? Model/wattage/size?
Also, is your housing yellow with a yellow bulb or it's clear with a yellow bulb?
And one more thing. If I buy an aftermarket Spyder fog lights, do I just need to buy a bulb or something else? I don't have fogs at the moment under my bumper, but there is already a space for them to put in.

Thank you.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have PIAA Ion Yellow H11's, I believe they're 55 watt.
I didn't modify the housing or lenses, just did the bulbs. I would imagine that most (if not all) fog light kits would come with bulbs, a harness, and anything else necessary for installment. If it doesn't say on their website, just ask them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have PIAA Ion Yellow H11's, I believe they're 55 watt.
I didn't modify the housing or lenses, just did the bulbs. I would imagine that most (if not all) fog light kits would come with bulbs, a harness, and anything else necessary for installment. If it doesn't say on their website, just ask them.
Thank you!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ok. I'll need a new advise on this please.

The retro-solutions appeared to be a very bad shop. The customer service is there is no customer service. They would not give a refund, they would not replace the kit. I will never buy anything from them again. After you pay they don't give a **** about anything.

Now, I'm looking for a different plug&play HID kit.
I would really appreciate you guys if you recommend me an HID kit that will not blind oncoming traffic and that is a simple plug and play kit.
I'm sure there should be one like this.

Thank you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
What happened to the one you had? Just took a shit all of a sudden?
When I bought the kit my mechanic told me that he could not install it because it required a lot of wiring. It was not plug&play.
I emailed the shop and asked for a return and a refund. But they told me to find some place where I can install it. I told that I don't want to that it's expensive to do that. Car shops will install it for $300. That is insane.
Anyways, the retro-solutions shop would not accept the product back and they stopped responding to my emails.
I recently found an auto shop and asked them to install the kit. They've tested the kit and it was not working at all.

That's what happened.

·
Registered
829 Posts
That's strange... Mine came with a relayed harness. My guess is the second shop you went to didn't know what they were doing.

Try Diode Dynamics (same company I mentioned on your other thread) they're one of the vendors on here. They have a limited 3 year warranty.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That's strange... Mine came with a relayed harness. My guess is the second shop you went to didn't know what they were doing.

Try Diode Dynamics (same company I mentioned on your other thread) they're one of the vendors on here. They have a limited 3 year warranty.
Okay, thank you.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello all!

I searched for this issue, but didn’t find anything. If I missed it, my apologies.

My 03 RSX-s is getting some new hids and leds to bring the lighting into the newest time frame!

I bought hids 5500k for the low beams and leds for the high beams.

My question is, what is the best bulb orientation for the high beam leds? Up/down or side to side?

What about the low beam hids? There is a white bar on the his bulb. Does the bar face the bottom or the top? (12 or 6 o’clock position).

Thank you in advance!

I tried asking the manufacturer, no response yet.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Hello all!

I searched for this issue, but didn’t find anything. If I missed it, my apologies.

My 03 RSX-s is getting some new hids and leds to bring the lighting into the newest time frame!

I bought hids 5500k for the low beams and leds for the high beams.

My question is, what is the best bulb orientation for the high beam leds? Up/down or side to side?

What about the low beam hids? There is a white bar on the his bulb. Does the bar face the bottom or the top? (12 or 6 o’clock position).

Thank you in advance!

I tried asking the manufacturer, no response yet.
The best orientation for the LED’s is face down, in the trash. You’re going to shoot light in random directions and cause an accident. If you choose to use them anyways, you’re an asshole.

The HID’s should have dimples on the base of the bulb that line up with your reflector housing. There’s only one position for them to mount in. You have to adjust the height of the reflector bowl to aim the beam pattern because once again, you will cause an accident.

Realistically, you should be running projectors. I run HID’s in my 05 and the beam pattern is relatively uniform, but it’s not the proper way to do it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts