Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Retired OG
147,491,197 Posts
aluminum for weight savings... and non corrosive

stainless steels is expensive and a waste to do intercooler piping

if you do steel do it with mild and coat or paint it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
my opinion on the matter, most manufactures that i know of use aluminum. stainless would weight a little more but it in itself is more of an insulative (if thats a word) metal. power gains would prob be negligable. i would just use what i have around my shop.

·
GT30R > Traction
3,830 Posts
ss will transfer less heat but that's more an issue with the manifild then the IC piping.

·
Bmore211
3,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well fellas, I decided to go with Stainless Steel. No special reason. As stated, each has a plus. Im not so concerned about weight, I only have a greddy turbo. Now the reason I am switching piping is because the last shop to do my install did not anodize the piping they used so it began to rust. I had to make a fast move to something that would not rust. Thanks for the information guys, Its much appreciated and I am a little more educated

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts
Copper, Better thermal conductivity then aluminum. And Titanium over that....

·
RSX fanboy supreme
2,606 Posts
In a driver, it's always been a debate.
The weight is the only sure advantage when you are talking underhood.
The aluminum will absorb ambient heat alot faster and pass it onto the air in the charge pipes.
Stainless will take longer to heat up. I know a few guys that swear by stainless for undehood temp control.
I'm no scientist, but the argument is not without reason. I do whatever the customer wants. The BOV flange they buy usually determines the material.

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts
for piping? I though we were talking about the heat exchanger....

·
Retired OG
147,491,197 Posts
lol i'm just curious where in the hell do you find copper tubing in atleast 2 inch diameter?

·
GT30R > Traction
3,830 Posts
I would diffidently use aluminum. For weight and for the fact that it should let more heat out of the charge pipes, which is what you want. Not to mention that It will probably be cheaper.
why would you want more heat in your engine bay ??? It will then go back into your turbo cousing it to work harder to produce the same amount of boost cousing more heat and further hurting your performance. the IC should be what reduces the temp of your charged air not your piping.

·
Registered
882 Posts
copper? he does not sound to bright. i can see no advantages, its expensive as hell, copper needs to be brazed, its heavy. by the way, aluminum does not rust per say. it will oxidize and change to a darker dull color and tend to get a white powder look to it. brown rust is a iron thing or what ever has iron in it, such as steel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts