Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at pages and pages of discussions of NA RSX tuning, but the majority of them involve mods that are not legal in STS. In STS, no internal engine mods are allowed (no cams, etc) and you must keep the stock cat (no race headers). Anything else is free. Are there any Solo 2 competitors who can chime in on this subject?

Intake
Engine Management
Header
Exhaust

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'm running in STS this season... See my sig... I'll know in a a couple weeks how competitive this setup is. I may do more, but I'm gonna try to stick with what I have a just get in some seat time. At the Porsche Club school I did a couple weeks ago, I was beating most of the Porsches, all the Miatas, all the S2000s (some of these guys were beginners obviously). In the timed autoX, on the 1st day an STI and a mooded M3 were the only cars (I think) that bested me.

You do have to pay attention though, with your mods to stay in class...

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Amused said:
I've been looking at pages and pages of discussions of NA RSX tuning, but the majority of them involve mods that are not legal in STS. In STS, no internal engine mods are allowed (no cams, etc) and you must keep the stock cat (no race headers). Anything else is free. Are there any Solo 2 competitors who can chime in on this subject?

Intake
Engine Management
Header
Exhaust
First off, as for the best throttle response in racing such as what you speak of, an icebox type intake is better. Personally, I would go first with the Mugen. You also have the choice of the Comptech Icebox and the 5 Zigen intake.

As for the shorty header, you will not see much gain. Also, most of these are very similar when it comes to design, power gains, etc. If I were in the market I would go with the Comptech for the sheer fact that it is honored by most Acura warranties.

On the exhaust side, in my personal opinion you can't beat the sound and quality of the Mugen Sports exhaust. It is a high quality piece that offers gains that you will notice as soon as you put it on as well as a low end rumble that is very subtle at low engine speeds.

I don't know what the STS specs are for what type of ECU you can use. You can't go wrong with any of Hondata's products. Since you cannot run anything other than factory internals, the #4 is most likely the best route for standard reflashes. If you can run an ECU that is programmable, then go with the K_Pro and have it dyno-tuned to match your setup.

I hope this helps. I would like to come to some of the events they have at Turner Field, but I am sure I have too many mods to compete in any of the lesser classes. It would still be fun to come watch though.

·
walks softly
127 Posts
With the limited modification of STS I personally wouldn't try too hard for more power. I would look at products that made more torque, especially at a lower RPM and were lighter weight than stock parts. I haven't run STS in a few years and I am not sure what kind of ECU tuning is allowed now. The K-Pro would be the way to go if its legal, I would call Howard or Tasha before asking anyone here. (no offense)

I would focus more effort and money into suspension and making good use of the power the car has now.

STS secret... S2000 spec Bridgestone S02's are marked 225. They measure out more like a 245. They have less void area than a regular S02 or even S03 and they are super sticky. Run some light 16x7.5 with those tires and there is your advantage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts