Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
see if anyone who did a jackson racing/hi flo cat combo has a test pipe left over that they'd sell you for 20 bucks. I don't think any one test pipe is really going to perform better than another so long as the flow isn't obstructed.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Unforgettable is plug and play, with the O2 bungs built in. A great fit. pints99 is right though, doesn't really matter if it fits, and if the O2 sensors have some place to go.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
nlaing said:
Unforgettable is plug and play, with the O2 bungs built in. A great fit. pints99 is right though, doesn't really matter if it fits, and if the O2 sensors have some place to go.
I like my Unforgettable...very easy install and it all lines right up.:thumbsup:

·
///M
5,299 Posts
does it throw a cel? what comes with the trubos so that u dont throw a cel ? poop

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
aznbeayst said:
does it throw a cel? what comes with the trubos so that u dont throw a cel ? poop
Yes it surely does...IMHO the cel for the cat doesnt affect performace whatsoever, at least from what I can tell.

·
Registered
755 Posts
mastap, this is completely untrue. Removing the cat will "obscure" what the second O2 sensor is expecting. There are 2 O2 sensors, one before and one after the catalytic, so that the engine can change the air/fuel mixture based on the change in the a/f ratio pre and post cat. Removing the cat will cause the engine to run much more rich than it would normally. This WILL affect both your gas mileage and power. Some people call this running in "limp" mode. Do a search for this. There are plenty of people on this board that are MUCH more knowledgable than I am. So far, there is a huge debate about Casper's O2 sim, and whether or not it works. This O2 sim is supposed to change the reading from the 2nd O2 sensor to the ECU to something more like what the ECU is expecting. This will stop your engine from running too rich in limp mode. There is some debate as to whether or not this sim works. Check out the "an O2 sim that works" thread. It's usually in the 1st 25 threads or so, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

·
///M
5,299 Posts
mastap, have u considereds the casper o2sim?
it's only a rumor about the car going to limp mode
when it thros a cel.. no1 has actually proved it...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Well, I noticed that running with a CEL will drop my mileage from about 28 mpg to about 22 or 21. That's enough evidence for me.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
nlaing said:
mastap, this is completely untrue. Removing the cat will "obscure" what the second O2 sensor is expecting. There are 2 O2 sensors, one before and one after the catalytic, so that the engine can change the air/fuel mixture based on the change in the a/f ratio pre and post cat. Removing the cat will cause the engine to run much more rich than it would normally. This WILL affect both your gas mileage and power. Some people call this running in "limp" mode. Do a search for this. There are plenty of people on this board that are MUCH more knowledgable than I am. So far, there is a huge debate about Casper's O2 sim, and whether or not it works. This O2 sim is supposed to change the reading from the 2nd O2 sensor to the ECU to something more like what the ECU is expecting. This will stop your engine from running too rich in limp mode. There is some debate as to whether or not this sim works. Check out the "an O2 sim that works" thread. It's usually in the 1st 25 threads or so, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.
I am talking from personal experence...I do not notice a difference at all...in the idle or in gas mileage. Matter of a fact mileage seems to have improved. I have "read up" on all the threads about the O2 sim and about limp mode etc. Maybe im lucky...:dontknow:

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Golgo113 said:
i have a burnt front o2 sensor and when i throw the cel code the engine idles like shit
How long did it take before your idle went to "shit"? I have 3000mi on my test pipe.

Thanks...

I do want the O2 sim but so far IMO the jury is still out...

·
riiiiiiight
2,405 Posts
The RSX will NOT go into limp mode when it throws a CEL because of a missing cat, many people on the board have confirmed this....

Anyways...the second O2 sensors only job should be to monitor how efficiently the catalytic convertor is working...the first O2 sensor should be the one that the ECU relies upon for adjusting anything involving the combustion process...

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Ninety3octane said:
3000mi on my test pipe and no problems...all i noticed was a nice hp increase esp. on the top end
You and I are in the same boat...around 3K. Do you notice any idle problems, MPG decreases? I personally dont...:dontknow:

·
clutch burner
416 Posts
i did notice a small mpg decrease..no idle problems...car runs like it did before but i notice more gas used when im WOT alot

·
Registered
92 Posts
Jeffro-TypeS said:
I don't know too much about this, but i've been to this shop for some work, and they have this product...
http://www.defcon-racing.com/o2sim.html

if you look at the bottom of that web page you link to it clearly states and i quote. "O2 SIM APPLICATIONS
OBDII Honda ECU
Coming Soon: 7th Gen Civic and RSX applications" if they release it and it works i promise you can be my hero but until then just another link to watch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i just removed my cat and had a muffler shop build me a striaght pipe...besides my check engine light alwyas on i love it...but after reading this am i in trouble in the long run? Seriously this pipe added more than my intake. I love it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mastap said:
Yes it surely does...IMHO the cel for the cat doesnt affect performace whatsoever, at least from what I can tell.
One of my partners at Southwest Car Care programs obd-1&2&3 systems. I asked him this same question.. and he said that the secondary o2 signal has no effect on the performance of your engine. It is only there to notify when your cat is inefficient.

Also, he said the o2 simulators work somewhat ok but have 1 problem... the ecu is expecting the o2 signal to jump really high after getting off the throttle... for that split second your cel may come on then go off. The simulator will not let the signal reach that point.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts