Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 02 Rsx and working towards switching the headlights to LEDs does anyone have a recommendation on the best bulbs to get that are WHITE and not blue, I don’t want any blue hue.
thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Unless you are retrofitting projectors, you don’t. Your lights will look bright, and you won’t have a beam pattern. All you’re doing is spreading light in random directions and it can cause an accident either for you because you can’t see or oncoming traffic because they can’t see. You clearly have no knowledge about headlights, I suggest you start reading. If you put LED’s in your halogen headlight housing anyways, I hope you crash and blow up your car.
If you do decide to retrofit, get a bulb no higher than 5000k. 6000k is right in between white and blue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got LED on my 02 type s I can see just fine. I went on amazon and found a set for About 60 bucks but you need to get the adapter to mount in the housing properly. I can see as far as regular halogen bulbs but it’s brighter.

·
WILDCARD!
1,229 Posts
Unless you are retrofitting projectors, you don’t. Your lights will look bright, and you won’t have a beam pattern. All you’re doing is spreading light in random directions and it can cause an accident either for you because you can’t see or oncoming traffic because they can’t see. You clearly have no knowledge about headlights, I suggest you start reading. If you put LED’s in your halogen headlight housing anyways, I hope you crash and blow up your car.
If you do decide to retrofit, get a bulb no higher than 5000k. 6000k is right in between white and blue.
Does this apply to all LED headlight bulbs, though? The more expensive ones that are specifically designated as headlight bulbs are usually built to mimic halogen dispersal patterns. Halogen headlight bulbs do emit light in all directions, but they emit the most light to the sides of the filament. Something like this is meant to mimic a dual-filament bulb:

You've got the low-beam LEDs in the front with that piece above that partially blocks the light from reflecting in the upper portion of the housing, and then the second, unrestricted set of LEDs is for the high beams.

I've used these types of bulbs in the past and I always checked and adjusted the aim first thing and I never had anyone flash their brights or get mad at me (well, that I know of).

But yeah, if you put something like this

in a headlight housing, it's going to be a clusterfuck of light that will blind and enrage everyone. Do NOT put something like this in a headlight...ever.

The other thing with LED headlights is that they tend to have excellent up-close output, but halogens will sometimes be better at projecting light further down the road. Probably best to either retrofit projectors in to the stock headlights, pick up aftermarket projectors or just go with a premium halogen bulb.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Does this apply to all LED headlight bulbs, though? The more expensive ones that are specifically designated as headlight bulbs are usually built to mimic halogen dispersal patterns. Halogen headlight bulbs do emit light in all directions, but they emit the most light to the sides of the filament. Something like this is meant to mimic a dual-filament bulb:
View attachment 567028

You've got the low-beam LEDs in the front with that piece above that partially blocks the light from reflecting in the upper portion of the housing, and then the second, unrestricted set of LEDs is for the high beams.

I've used these types of bulbs in the past and I always checked and adjusted the aim first thing and I never had anyone flash their brights or get mad at me (well, that I know of).

But yeah, if you put something like this
View attachment 567029
in a headlight housing, it's going to be a clusterfuck of light that will blind and enrage everyone. Do NOT put something like this in a headlight...ever.

The other thing with LED headlights is that they tend to have excellent up-close output, but halogens will sometimes be better at projecting light further down the road. Probably best to either retrofit projectors in to the stock headlights, pick up aftermarket projectors or just go with a premium halogen bulb.
I've heard that these newer bulbs can and will work properly in most housings, but no one will provide examples of the light output. Until there is actual proof that they function properly, I wouldn't use them for anything other than aesthetics. Even though some bulbs are described as capable of providing the proper beam pattern, the diodes are still directional and I'm skeptical that they will work well. The only exception I'd make here is if the manufacturer designed the bulb for our particular headlight.

I'm a firm believer in HID's, even though we have reflector bowls.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok dude have a mental breakdown, all I did was ask and you Cleary are assuming something else. I know what bulbs not to use like the other guy mentioned. I'm not just throwing some random LED bulb in there. I know which ones to get with a real light pattern. All I'm asking is does anyone have a recommendation on a specific bulb brand that emits a white hue and not the ricer blue hue? I know 5000k-6000k is tuypically white but sometimes they still emit a blue hue.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Ok dude have a mental breakdown, all I did was ask and you Cleary are assuming something else. I know what bulbs not to use like the other guy mentioned. I'm not just throwing some random LED bulb in there. I know which ones to get with a real light pattern. All I'm asking is does anyone have a recommendation on a specific bulb brand that emits a white hue and not the ricer blue hue? I know 5000k-6000k is tuypically white but sometimes they still emit a blue hue.
Bruh, it's a joke. Dad obviously got it ^ I know it's difficult to tell over an internet forum, but that's no reason to be butthurt. I didn't assume anything, I'm telling you that it's not recommended for the reasons I mentioned above, even the ones that are supposedly designed "properly". The diodes are still directional no matter how you look at it, and reflector bowls are not all the same. It might work well in say an 05 Silverado, but that doesn't mean it will work well in our cars. As for your color temp question, I answered that. A true 5000k will not have any trace of blue in it, the 6000k will.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bruh, it's a joke. Dad obviously got it ^ I know it's difficult to tell over an internet forum, but that's no reason to be butthurt. I didn't assume anything, I'm telling you that it's not recommended for the reasons I mentioned above, even the ones that are supposedly designed "properly". The diodes are still directional no matter how you look at it, and reflector bowls are not all the same. It might work well in say an 05 Silverado, but that doesn't mean it will work well in our cars. As for your color temp question, I answered that. A true 5000k will not have any trace of blue in it, the 6000k will.
Ok thanks for clarifying that. I really thought you were pissed off about my question lol. So lets say I don't do LED and go with a regular bulb halogen, say a PIAA bulb, would you recomened that? I see someone else recomended it but what it be better looking than a a basic halogen. They have supposed white bulbs

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Ok thanks for clarifying that. I really thought you were pissed off about my question lol. So lets say I don't do LED and go with a regular bulb halogen, say a PIAA bulb, would you recomened that? I see someone else recomended it but what it be better looking than a a basic halogen. They have supposed white bulbs
Haven't used their white before, but I have their hyper yellow H11's in my fog lights and they are phenomenal. Being that they have always produced high quality products, I would definitely recommend them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
6000K has the blue hue. Stick with 5000K for white.

Don't get LEDs or HIDs if you have the stock housing. Highly recommend these since they look stock and have the Projector lens.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
6000K has the blue hue. Stick with 5000K for white.

Don't get LEDs or HIDs if you have the stock housing. Highly recommend these since they look stock and have the Projector lens.

good info, damn I wish I knew about those housings sooner. I have already just bought new housings and they’re just the regular ones but black like that instead of chrome. They are also clear instead of the orange. I also went ahead and just bought a LED H1 from Amazon that was on sale. Worse case I can just return it if it’s over kill and settle for some PiAA halogens but I keep reading bad reviews and people saying it doesn’t look white. So that’s why I stuck with the LED.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts