Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read my signature beore you read my question please.....

For my auto 5 speed base rsx, should I get new brake calipers and bigger brake discs? Or are the normal ones good?

If the normal ones are good im just gonna get the calipers painted red. Is that ok to do?

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Well a Bigger Rotor hasn't harmed anyone. I want the AEM Big Rotor Set and some new calipers. But that's expensive stuff. Ours are good if ur just doin minimal racing and driving. Painting the calipers is fine. It won't harm or damage the braking unit. Welcome to clubrsx, we were all in ur spot once so we know what its like. Some people have no patience and thik they r better then others. I myself am a Proud owner of a 2SlowAutoRSX but I love it. Ad the boards helped me out a lot aswell.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AcuraRacesRSX said:
Well a Bigger Rotor hasn't harmed anyone. I want the AEM Big Rotor Set and some new calipers. But that's expensive stuff. Ours are good if ur just doin minimal racing and driving. Painting the calipers is fine. It won't harm or damage the braking unit. Welcome to clubrsx, we were all in ur spot once so we know what its like. Some people have no patience and thik they r better then others. I myself am a Proud owner of a 2SlowAutoRSX but I love it. Ad the boards helped me out a lot aswell.
Thanks. So you think the normal brake calipers are good then? Thats good news. Do you think they will look good painted? Do people actually do that? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
yeah i painted mine. just got some brake calliper paint from Pep Boys for like 6 bucks. just mask off the rotors and spray away, plus it dries quick, if any gets on the rotor it will eventually come off due to high heat from callipers. they may not be the best callipers but are okay with our car as a base, if it was an EVO and had this brakes id cry, lol. so just apint urs for now then buy some nice rotors and calipers later on down the line.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AcuraRacesRSX said:
yeah i painted mine. just got some brake calliper paint from Pep Boys for like 6 bucks. just mask off the rotors and spray away, plus it dries quick, if any gets on the rotor it will eventually come off due to high heat from callipers. they may not be the best callipers but are okay with our car as a base, if it was an EVO and had this brakes id cry, lol. so just apint urs for now then buy some nice rotors and calipers later on down the line.
Thanks. ;) Will do. Also, you know when you look at your wheel, the brake caliper is on the right (back) of the wheel? Is it easy to move it to the front of the wheel (closer to the head lights) for a different look? Or should I not even bother? Im just obsessive, thats all. :D

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
It would take alot of fabricating to move the caliper to the front of the rotor (at around 2:00 on the rotor) and I do not think anyone has or ever will come out with any kit for it, basically because people don't care much and it doesn't have any real positive affects on braking. You can try looking into getting Powerslot rotors (preferably slotted over cross drilling) or the AEM Big Rotor upgrade kit along with some better brake pads. The stock calipers are decent enough for daily driving and occassional canyon sprints.

Also when you go to paint your calipers, make sure you use extreme high temp resistant paint (like 900 degrees+) or something. Brakes can almost get as hot as your header if you work em good enough :p

Btw just a warning, when you paint your calipers, it's going to look awkard months down the road due to the brake dust buildup, and possible paint chipping etc. etc. So if you don't mind the hassle of continually cleaning/touching up the paint, then by all means go ahead.

With the AEM Big Rotor Upgrade(base) kit you are not required to have 17"+ wheels to make it fit.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sousuke said:
It would take alot of fabricating to move the caliper to the front of the rotor (at around 2:00 on the rotor) and I do not think anyone has or ever will come out with any kit for it, basically because people don't care much and it doesn't have any real positive affects on braking. You can try looking into getting Powerslot rotors (preferably slotted over cross drilling) or the AEM Big Rotor upgrade kit along with some better brake pads. The stock calipers are decent enough for daily driving and occassional canyon sprints.

Also when you go to paint your calipers, make sure you use extreme high temp resistant paint (like 900 degrees+) or something. Brakes can almost get as hot as your header if you work em good enough :p

Btw just a warning, when you paint your calipers, it's going to look awkard months down the road due to the brake dust buildup, and possible paint chipping etc. etc. So if you don't mind the hassle of continually cleaning/touching up the paint, then by all means go ahead.

With the AEM Big Rotor Upgrade(base) kit you are not required to have 17"+ wheels to make it fit.

Some sites I know of sell paint called "caliper paint". Do you think you will still have to always fix up the paint chips if I use that?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Yeah. touch ups will always be needed. I have Caliper Only paint but like the other man said, brake dust and chipping is normal. it doesnt take long to remove ur wheel and do a quick touch up. Have fun with it. I say paint em Pink! youll have lots of people looking at ya,lol j/k. But have fun with it man.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AcuraRacesRSX said:
Yeah. touch ups will always be needed. I have Caliper Only paint but like the other man said, brake dust and chipping is normal. it doesnt take long to remove ur wheel and do a quick touch up. Have fun with it. I say paint em Pink! youll have lots of people looking at ya,lol j/k. But have fun with it man.
Will do. :thumbsup: :D

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Just FYI if you didn't already know, it's better to spray multiple (3-5) thin layers and let them dry in between each layer, than to just spray and cover the caliper as best you can. The thinner the better, but spray cans can only go so thin. I believe air brushes would do a much better job if you could get a hold of one, they sell them for like $70, but that's alot of money to paint some calipers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts