Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well, if there's one thing I do know it's bike racks! I've been an avid cyclist for the last 15 years and for the last 7 or so I've been schlepping bikes around in Integra GS-R. (It's my 'Ute substitute now that I have the new RSX)

The best solution, especially if you're only taking your bike, is to take off the wheel and put it inside. You get better gas mileage, better security, and a decent rack setup will cost you $400 minimum. I've had 3 bikes in the back of the Integra, but I'm betting you can only do 2 in the RSX as it's a little shorter/narrower.

The real downside with this approach is that you must be prepared for the interior plastic to get scraped up and the occasional accident when loading and unloading which will yield small dings in the metal around your hatch.

If you're going to go with a rack, I would do the roof version. Downside? Your gas mileage will go to shit. In my Integra GS-R I get like 32mpg with no rack, 28 or so with the rack and no bikes, and 22-24 if there are bikes up.

If you decide on the roof rack, get Yakima or Thule bars and towers after looking carefully at both and deciding which one has the best fitment for our cars. This means how it attaches. Because our cars have a short roofline, on my Integra Yakima's solution was awful. I had to use these extender bar things, my sunroof wouldn't open. All kinds of hassle. I don't know whether Thule is any better. This information is NOT easy to come by either. It is best to get on a bike forum and find someone who has one brand or the other on an RSX and ask them about it.

But, once you decide on the bars and towers I have very strong opinion about the bike attachments. You need to get this:

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=594

It's called the SideArm now, but Thule bought this technology from a company called Sportworks. This guy fits both Yak and Thule bars and is easily the fastest way to get your bike on and off of a car. You don't have to remove the wheel, it doesn't clamp to the frame like Yak's silly thing. I get to the ride and I'm usually standing around waiting for every one else because it took me 5 seconds to get my bike off and be ready to ride. Both my girlfriend and I have these on Yakima bars for our respective cars.

Downsides? The internal locking mechanism is a joke. Don't use it! I've thought about writing Thule and telling them to remove the feature or redesign it because I know I could get a locked bike off in under 10 seconds. The Sportworks version never had a lock and so people didn't get a false sense of security. Just carry a U-Lock and a cable.

Hedge: If you were willing to put a trailer hitch on your RSX, I'd do this:

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=916

It's what I recommend to everyone who owns a sport ute. Why? It has 2 SideArm guys on it and slides into the receiver. Super, super easy to use. This would solve your gas mileage problem and you'd never run the risk of hitting something low with your bikes up. But a hitch on an RSX? Gag me.

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
Well, if there's one thing I do know it's bike racks! I've been an avid cyclist for the last 15 years and for the last 7 or so I've been schlepping bikes around in Integra GS-R. (It's my 'Ute substitute now that I have the new RSX)

The best solution, especially if you're only taking your bike, is to take off the wheel and put it inside. You get better gas mileage, better security, and a decent rack setup will cost you $400 minimum. I've had 3 bikes in the back of the Integra, but I'm betting you can only do 2 in the RSX as it's a little shorter/narrower.

The real downside with this approach is that you must be prepared for the interior plastic to get scraped up and the occasional accident when loading and unloading which will yield small dings in the metal around your hatch.

If you're going to go with a rack, I would do the roof version. Downside? Your gas mileage will go to shit. In my Integra GS-R I get like 32mpg with no rack, 28 or so with the rack and no bikes, and 22-24 if there are bikes up.

If you decide on the roof rack, get Yakima or Thule bars and towers after looking carefully at both and deciding which one has the best fitment for our cars. This means how it attaches. Because our cars have a short roofline, on my Integra Yakima's solution was awful. I had to use these extender bar things, my sunroof wouldn't open. All kinds of hassle. I don't know whether Thule is any better. This information is NOT easy to come by either. It is best to get on a bike forum and find someone who has one brand or the other on an RSX and ask them about it.

But, once you decide on the bars and towers I have very strong opinion about the bike attachments. You need to get this:

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=594

It's called the SideArm now, but Thule bought this technology from a company called Sportworks. This guy fits both Yak and Thule bars and is easily the fastest way to get your bike on and off of a car. You don't have to remove the wheel, it doesn't clamp to the frame like Yak's silly thing. I get to the ride and I'm usually standing around waiting for every one else because it took me 5 seconds to get my bike off and be ready to ride. Both my girlfriend and I have these on Yakima bars for our respective cars.

Downsides? The internal locking mechanism is a joke. Don't use it! I've thought about writing Thule and telling them to remove the feature or redesign it because I know I could get a locked bike off in under 10 seconds. The Sportworks version never had a lock and so people didn't get a false sense of security. Just carry a U-Lock and a cable.

Hedge: If you were willing to put a trailer hitch on your RSX, I'd do this:

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=916

It's what I recommend to everyone who owns a sport ute. Why? It has 2 SideArm guys on it and slides into the receiver. Super, super easy to use. This would solve your gas mileage problem and you'd never run the risk of hitting something low with your bikes up. But a hitch on an RSX? Gag me.
Dang. +rep for the bike guru

·
Registered
330 Posts
i always wanted a roof rack i love going kayaking but i just walk it down to the deleware, but i cant take it anywhere else im worried about dumb family members trying to use it and messing up my car.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have a really nice Yakima roof rack w/ attachents for 2 bikes, that i no longer need (won't fit my Porsche). If anyone is interested, lemme know. It works great and imo is the easiest way to transport ur bike. It also never scratched the paint. SOLD

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Asking $200, but I have a guy coming over this afternoon that says he wants it.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Rack is sold. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bike Rack Question. If you use the trunk-mounted/bumper mounted type of bike rack on the RSX, there will be two straps which have to attach to the top of the hatch's glass. As i look at that glass, it seems to overhang the metal to which it attaches. That would mean that the two straps will put the load on the glass itself, not to any metal frame. Question: is that glass strong enough, and it the glass mounted strongly enough to support a bike rack loaded with two bikes? Anyone have any knowledge or experience? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
As I look at it, I think it would mess with the gasket. There is metal under the glass, but it needs to seal there. Not sure if it would hook there either as it's hard to see how it would fit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I’m debating on building myself a tow hitch and building a rack for slicks when i go to the track lmao that way i don’t need to trailer my shit to the track. And maybe build a baby slammed trailer to pull my drag bike also. Haha just can’t figure out how I’d mount it on the car and how I’d hide it

21 - 35 of 35 Posts