Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Out on bail
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, my buddy and i decided to do black housing headlights. we got everything painted and ready to put back on, but when we went to reheat and add more silicone, he put the clear housing in the oven. when he took it out, i noticed that the corner of the light was melted white, and the whole shape was deformed. luckily though, we got some direction on the second light to start with the main housing, so that one turned out ok and is installed. now i just have to leave my car at his house bumperless and lightless till i get a new one....

will acura sell me the clear housing or will i have to buy a whole new headlight? im guessing i might have to dish out $200-300 for the light =(.

· Out on bail
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my friend had the temp set, he had it set to the same temp we used to get it off and to reseal the silicone at the end. ill have to ask him, but i think we left it in there for a little too long.

· 2 Shea
1,080 Posts
XxThInKxX said:
my friend had the temp set, he had it set to the same temp we used to get it off and to reseal the silicone at the end. ill have to ask him, but i think we left it in there for a little too long.
or maybe part of the clear housing was touching the grill part of the oven which would melt it...
and if the dealer charges alot just go buy the real jdms

· yawn..
7,285 Posts
Mind as well get the JDM halo's or whatever.. you're going to be paying more now

· Huh?
858 Posts
Down_Shift said:
Mind as well get the JDM halo's or whatever.. you're going to be paying more now
There is no such thing as JDM Halo's for a dc5, called black out style halos.. I feel sorry for your headlight, I don't understand how it would just completely melt up.. I've seen a lil on one but not entire thing? :nervous:

· Out on bail
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
SiFuSpEc said:
There is no such thing as JDM Halo's for a dc5, called black out style halos.. I feel sorry for your headlight, I don't understand how it would just completely melt up.. I've seen a lil on one but not entire thing? :nervous:

Well not completely on the entire thing. On the pointed edge of the lens i would say there is about a square inch of white melted plastic, and the whole thing kinda flattened itself out. There would be no way that it would fit back on, and even if it did, i wouldnt want to leave that melted plastic to be seen.

I looked on ebay and found some JDM replicas for 205 and the real JDM for 450. I dont really wanna chance it with ebay stuff right now, and i really need my car back asap, so im going down now to get a new one from acura. the only crappy part is one OEM light will cost me $347. I know i should get the JDM ones, but i really need my car back on the road so i have to settle for acuras pricing. Now I just have to bake that one and either repaint it, or use the housing from the melted one that is already painted. Ill let you know when all is said and done.

· ...gOt boOst
1,210 Posts
I have a set of the clear lens if ur interested?

· 700p LTR TWS .308
6,408 Posts
check the for sale forum or the regional forums to see if anyone is selling. Or just post in for sale that you want THAT headlight only. Going price for used OEM headlights is $150. For just one I'd say $70-75 is fair price.

· Huh?
858 Posts
XxThInKxX said:
Well not completely on the entire thing. On the pointed edge of the lens i would say there is about a square inch of white melted plastic, and the whole thing kinda flattened itself out. There would be no way that it would fit back on, and even if it did, i wouldnt want to leave that melted plastic to be seen.
I know what you mean!! Someone I know had that happen to his light, ugh, horrid sight to be seen.. Although at fault it was leaving the headlight in the oven too long and too close to the sides which caused it.. Let us know how it goes, pictures too hah..

· 700p LTR TWS .308
6,408 Posts
we did 3 pairs during our mod meet last month. Mine was the first pair to get done. LOL Came out real nice. But after me being the guinea pig, the rest of them were easy as hell. The key is to be patient and monitor the oven (without opening the door). The only thing though is after installation, I noticed a very tiny piece of paper towel inside (I used windex to clean the inside glass to get rid of fingerprints). I'll probably take a clothes hanger with some gum, and stick it through the headlight bulb hole to get it out.

· Out on bail
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
muevelonyc said:
check the for sale forum or the regional forums to see if anyone is selling. Or just post in for sale that you want THAT headlight only. Going price for used OEM headlights is $150. For just one I'd say $70-75 is fair price.
This is very helpful as well as RSX4U2NV. The only problem is I need my car fixed asap, and im not sure if i have time to wait for the shipping and stuff. I called acura and they said they have one for me, but if they lied, i might talk to you RSX4U2NV. =) thnx guys for the help.

· Out on bail
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok... so i got the new headlight and completed the job. they look great and overall im happy now that i did it. too bad the $10 mod turned into a $400 mod. advice to people planning to DIY the headlights; make sure you follow directions and time the heating process to exact times. im sure this is just common sense, but i managed to skip those things =(.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.