Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what type of spray paint should i get? does normal spray paint work or do i have to get the high heat 1200 degree farenheit ones? because normal spray paint says not to use on surfaces that exceed 200 degrees and i'm not sure how hot the light blubs get... especially since when i reseal it i will be putting it in the oven and temperatures hotter than that.

also, what would look best? flat black, semi gloss, gloss, or high gloss?

also, what material is the headlight area i will be blacking out made of? i need to know what kind of primer to buy because they have plastic primer, metal primer, and wood primer (obviously not the wood one) and i don't know what to buy. thanks.

·
Smoking a massive chooch
12,301 Posts
Well.....I used regular primer from wal-mart I do believe, and I used flat black spraypaint also from wally world. The area your going to be blacking out is made of plastic. It's got the chrome look to it.

I scuffed mine up before I primered it to make sure it would stick. I havent' seen any problems with using regular spraypaint thus far and it's been nearly a year since I've had it done. If you plan on getting HID's or something, then I don't know for sure.

If you do have a problem...just take them out and throw some projectors in there...at least thats what I'm going to do!

·
Registered
124 Posts
i'm also interested in this. what did you do to scuff down that shiny surface? sand paper? and is it necessary to do that or is it just a precaution you took (who here who has blacked out there lights did that)? thanks.

·
Smoking a massive chooch
12,301 Posts
No problem.

I used a scotch brite pad just make sure it's not one that is going to really dig into the plastic and leave tiny scratches... Although you could use sandpaper as well the scotch brite is easier to get into crevices. If you decide to use sandpaper, do it wet and use a high grit sandpaper such as 1000,1200,1500etc

I would say it's necessary to do it if you want to get good adhesion. When we paint cars at work, it's a rule that ANYTHING that is shiny and being painted has to be scuffed up or else the paint won't stick AS WELL. I don't know if this would apply to the inside of the headlights or not since they don't really get weathered, but why take the chance when you can just do it the right way and have peace of mind?!

Also...have fun during those 6 hours prying those bastards apart

·
2 Shea
3,465 Posts
I did mine a week ago and i didnt sand mine down, it worked out fine though. I used Plastikote Grey Primer, Plastikote Ultra Umanel Satin Black (semi gloss) and plasticote clear coat.

·
...gOt boOst
1,645 Posts
If u want the "JDM" color like, I know the "secret" color spray can! haha.... it has the gold flake like with a semi gloss which don't make the houseing too shinny! And this is just from 1 can of paint which only cost u $6 bucks!!!!

·
Tyler
1,620 Posts
My DIY's fogged and my HID's got pwned:( A local RSX'er (AZrsx, west forums moderator) gave me his stocks until I get real JDM's. I'm ordering those beeatches this weekend!

·
Registered
159 Posts
talyler said:
My DIY's fogged and my HID's got pwned:( A local RSX'er (AZrsx, west forums moderator) gave me his stocks until I get real JDM's. I'm ordering those beeatches this weekend!
so should I even bother with diy?
cuz whats the probability of it fogging up
should i just get jdms from the start?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
RSX4U2NV said:
If u want the "JDM" color like, I know the "secret" color spray can! haha.... it has the gold flake like with a semi gloss which don't make the houseing too shinny! And this is just from 1 can of paint which only cost u $6 bucks!!!!
what kind of paint

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
ChInEsE_BoI28 said:
DIY suck cock :thumbsdow

·
...gOt boOst
1,645 Posts
It just suck cuss ppl don't take their time and effort!! I'll take sum pics of my DIY with that JDM look paint and show u how it's done!!!

·
13.43 @ 105.43
10,188 Posts
ChInEsE_BoI28 said:
\

just get the genuine jdms...escape from messing up spray painting your oem ones....i just got a pair myself..for $450 shipped and i could still sell my oem ones for atleast 2 bills since they're new...so thats only 250 you spend...WHAT A DEAL!!!

·
...gOt boOst
1,645 Posts

:iamwiths: And no one here is gonna pay $200 for oem one's. They rather put $50 more and get the projectors!

·
...gOt boOst
1,645 Posts
I got a nearly brand new OEM headlamp for $125 btw from an member.

·
Tyler
1,620 Posts
DIY suck cock
:iamwiths:

I had DIY's before and they didn't fog. This time we put the JDM HID backhousing and JDM HID's on there. The JDM HID backhousing has holes in it (for wiring from the ballast to the bulb) and a cap that covers where your normal OEM headlight normally plugs in. The guy I bought them from cut that back piece off and my headlights fogged immediatley after I washed my car. Now my stocks are completley pwned b/c the person who did the swap with me is using my stock backhousing. Thanks to AzRSX, I have OEM's until I order real JDM's.

You can tell the difference between DIY's and real JDM's. Real JDM's have a gold shine up close in certain light, and they look ALOT better IMO. Just buy real JDM's.

·
Registered
159 Posts
yea the reason i was thinking about diy is because its much cheaper and it light doesn't go to the left like the jdm ones
can that be corrected if i got the jdm ones though? (so i don't blind cars coming towards me)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts