Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ECU Tuner
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grampys among you may remember Billy Crystal's "Fernando" character on Saturday Night Life. One of his famous lines was "It's better to look good than to feel good."

Well, I like to look good (myself and my car) as much as the next guy, but there are limits. So I spent a load on the Mugen SS, something that can't be seen other than the slight drop but that makes me feel really good (and safe). But I spent very little on an eBay knock-off Type R wing that looks terrific.

Now it appears that, just like in highschool where certain stuff is mandatory, one needs to have red-out on the taillights and black JDM DC5 headlights. No problem with the red-out. Six bucks from decalgirl.

But the black headlights are a different issue. It simply wouldn't feel good driving down a dark road with el-cheapo headlights with improper reflector optics or mucho-bucks real DC5 headlights designed for a right-hand drive car.

I went through most of the black-out headlight posts, but am still not sure what to do. I read Chris's DIY and don't think I want to pry apart my expensive stock lights. Definitely no right-hand drive units for me. So what's the expert word on the el-cheapo eBay black lights? Will they do the job (like other rather competent knock-offs) or not? I know they're flat-black instead of the sexy coat in the JDMs, but I am more concerned about optics and overall build.

If the ultimate expert opinion is already posted, apologies, and perhaps someone can guide me to it. If not, I'd appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
572 Posts
It isnt too tough, the main thing is time. I love looking back and knowing I paid 5 bucks for my blackout headlights(paint). Just do it with someone else that has experience with cars and follow the guide. It took most of the day for mine, but i am very happy with them

·
#BAMF
21,617 Posts
ooh sorry if this is ot but what color did u ask for when ordering the viny from decalgirl for the tail lights..i want the right transparent red..not solid red..lol

thanx in advance!

·
ECU Tuner
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+Rav3n+ said:
ooh sorry if this is ot but what color did u ask for when ordering the viny from decalgirl for the tail lights..i want the right transparent red..not solid red..lol

thanx in advance!
They only have one kind, translucent red. I've seen them on a car and they look great. Actually, you can't even see them as they just blend in with the red taillights.

Anyway, so no one has actual experience with the quality and optics of those eBay knock-offs? In that case I might as well do my own. I'd love for someone to do it as I don't feel comfortable with this particular job, but that'd probably cost almost as much as a set of the knock-offs.

·
Fix it 'til it's broken
12,041 Posts
To try and answer your question, I've heard the Ebay knock-offs are pretty shitty. The DIY headlamps really aren't that hard ar all. It's just like anything else.......you have to develop the nerve to get started on it. Once you get going, it is just a matter of time and patience.

If it means anything, I hacked into my fenders this weekend and installed my JDM sidemarkers that had been sitting in my garage for the past 3 weeks. When I first bought my car, I would have never dreamed of drilling holes in my fenders and then taking a rotary tool to them.

Repeat after me bro:

"Mind over matter"....and you will be fine in doing the DIY lamps :thumbsup:

_Brandon

·
Back in Black
2,573 Posts
if you want the real deal but want them to point corerectly

switchout your old headlights and put the USDM reflector layer in your JDM headlights... proper headlights and the real deal feeling.

·
ECU Tuner
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TypeRaisin said:
talk to type s jay about doing your headlamps. hes done probably over a dozen now for the norcal guys.
35,000 posts! Busy, man! So how do I find Jay and where does he do his handywork?

·
beep! beep!
68 Posts
i have real JDM headlights, and yes, they are angled towards oncoming traffic but its not like you can't see anything on your passenger side. i have no problems with the RHD setup, and no one has flashed me coming the other way to indicate that the slight angle on their side of the road is bothersome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts