Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if by any chance ANYONE in this forum would know if you know where i could get my blackhousing done on my headlights professionally. For anyone that lives near the LA area or Pasadena area in California. Even though it may be a DIY project, i dont wana risk it cuz im too newb to do it on my own. Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha but u live in missouri, i need an area where i can take my car to watch someone do it, not that i dont trust u i guess

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
75 for everything...70 if you help out...75 if you ship them to me

·
Registered
618 Posts
meryln..You sound like a professional..but I have too much pride and I want to experience this so I decided to do it myself. Only thing is..I dont know where to get my supplies at..do you have any suggestions?? a retail store? online link?? Plus, I want to get all the supplies from one place so it wouldn't be much of a hassle. thanks.

·
CO-Driver below
675 Posts
Do it yourself. Its no big deal man. And dont waste your time useing a heat gun. Just use the oven. I had mine apart in like 15 mins, no problems!

·
CO-Driver below
675 Posts
Looks really good, did you leave your LEDS on? I put white ones on my car shortly after i got mine two years ago, and everyone thinks they look great. They really look like they belong, and for all the haters... hell with ya.
I'll put a pic of mine up later today.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I bought all my materials today at ace hardware..gray primer, gloss black paint, clear coat, everything. Ok, I'm supposed to sand the chrome off first, then spray primer, and then the paint right? Or Do i spray primer, then sand? and after the primer is sprayed, how long should I wait until I use the paint??/ help needed.

·
CO-Driver below
675 Posts
I just did the primer with no sanding. It was kinda windy out so, its a little rough looking. Sand and stuff blowing onto paint. Ah, i put on like 7 coats of black. VERY SLOW!!! Make many very light coats. When you are taking apart the houseing you are going to get very pissed. What i found to make this easy was put it in the oven on a cookie sheet @ warm (less then 200) for about 15min. Wearing gloves, take the houseing out from the heat and right away put a flathead screwdriver in the small corner of the houseing. As soon as you can get your fingers in between the two layers, they will just pull apart. You will have to use some force. If you cant get them, you need more time in the oven. Keep an eye on them! And of course do one at a time.

·
Registered
618 Posts
nice preddog!! I like it. Did you use masking tape and put it where the reflectors are before you painted it?? and how long did you wait in between coats?? like 20 minutes?? and what about at the end, how long did you wait till they dryed?

·
Registered
618 Posts
im doing this friday..can't wait..wish me luck!! I'l take pictures later to show you if it was a success or a failure...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hey is anyone near the pasadena area of california that does it professionally? give me a price and info for blackhousing my lights.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
you could always pry them apart and take them to a shop if you want good qaulity paint. it would preobally be less then 50$ for them yo jsut paint them. then you could glue em up again!

·
Team S.C.A.P.
414 Posts
I dropped mine off my complete housings off with the shop who did them with some directions I got from this site and it ran me $300 for the whole shot. Plus I had them put in the frosted turn signal lenses.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Can you take out the two amber reflectors when the lights are apart?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts