Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story, 2002 Acura RSX:

OEM battery died sometime last year(05-06), had it replaced with a duralast battery from autozone, as it was the only thing within walking distance. Then my tags expired and I had the car sitting in my driveway for about 3 months, started it up every now and then just to let it run but never actually drove it anywhere. Then the duralast battery needed a jumpstart and it worked fine as long as I drove my car everyday, but if I don't drive my car for one day it needs another jumpstart. Now it's to the point where even if I drive the car, the battery will be dead overnight. Is the battery just bad from the time I let it sit for 3 months, or could there be any other problems? I recently did a k20a2 swap and got a new alternator with it, so I don't think that could be it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If you can, put a charger on the battery for at least overnight and see if it holds a charge. If not, you've either wrecked the battery by leaving it undercharged for so long, or you've got some parasitic drain on it. (like a hatch light that is not shutting off, some miswiring somewhere, etc.)

·
www.magtuning.com
15,007 Posts
You need to drive you car

Starting a car is a huge strain on the battery, and sitting idle for a small period of time will not recharge the battery enough, or effectively..

If you let your car sit, then just disconnect the battery completely, otherwise it will slowly drain because your car constantly uses power for memory, such as power windows, radio, alarm..

Get a new battery, a well known battery at that, and atleast drive it once a day...

I had a truck along time ago where the battery was dead, but would stay alive after it was jumped but couldnt start the engine after it sat..

even after a 20 minute drive, i pulled over, turned it off and tried to turn it back on, nothing.

so Get a new one..

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After jumpstarting the car I would generally drive it for a good hour or so on the freeway, and coming back and letting the car sit for about an hour or two it would still start right up. After sitting for about 5 hours+ i could tell it was slightly straining to start up, but it would start up fine, and sitting overnight it would try to start but then just clickclickclick.

I'm hoping it's just a trashed battery rather than any type of parasitic drain :( because I have no idea what would be draining the battery.

I'm getting a really bad metal on metal grinding noise coming from the P/S pump / Alternator area of the engine area so I'm hoping it's not the alternator, but the fact that the battery will charge and hold a charge after driving tells me that the alternator can't be completely bad could it?

·
www.magtuning.com
15,007 Posts
After jumpstarting the car I would generally drive it for a good hour or so on the freeway, and coming back and letting the car sit for about an hour or two it would still start right up. After sitting for about 5 hours+ i could tell it was slightly straining to start up, but it would start up fine, and sitting overnight it would try to start but then just clickclickclick.

I'm hoping it's just a trashed battery rather than any type of parasitic drain :( because I have no idea what would be draining the battery.

I'm getting a really bad metal on metal grinding noise coming from the P/S pump / Alternator area of the engine area so I'm hoping it's not the alternator, but the fact that the battery will charge and hold a charge after driving tells me that the alternator can't be completely bad could it?
if the alternator is bad, the battery light would come on, your radio would eventually die, if you have an automatic, it would eventually drop to neutral, and then your car would kill over...

i would know, happened to me while driving back from philadelphia in my dads van

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if the alternator is bad, the battery light would come on, your radio would eventually die, if you have an automatic, it would eventually drop to neutral, and then your car would kill over...

i would know, happened to me while driving back from philadelphia in my dads van
Guess I'll try shelling out money for a new battery then, cross my fingers and try to find out where this metal on metal grinding is coming from, lucky me I have an extra power steering pump laying around.

Sucks I'm getting laid off this week so I'm tight on money. :mad:

Thanks for the reassurance.

·
www.magtuning.com
15,007 Posts
Guess I'll try shelling out money for a new battery then, cross my fingers and try to find out where this metal on metal grinding is coming from, lucky me I have an extra power steering pump laying around.

Sucks I'm getting laid off this week so I'm tight on money. :mad:

Thanks for the reassurance.
Yes sir.. sucks to "know" your getting fired.. ehhe... batteries are only like what? 50 bucks for a decent one? not that expensive.. take out a loan :rolleyes: :laughing:

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
...u do know that duralast batteries are warranteed for at least 5 years right?

·
61 ci now
3,336 Posts
yeah take it back to get it warrantied. Have them test that and your alternator for you too. It is free.

·
www.magtuning.com
15,007 Posts
yeah take it back to get it warrantied. Have them test that and your alternator for you too. It is free.
no, its gay, they remove it from the car, and test it for hours.. fuck that.

besides, we already know the alternator is good.

·
Com
2,120 Posts
Starting it now and then and have it at idle will not charge the battery long enough. you can get a automatic battery trickle charger that dosent overcharge, or you can get a solor one if you park it outside. it will maintain your battery so it won't die

1 - 12 of 12 Posts