Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Grawr!
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I'm posting this for thoughts and advice to how and what I should do next for my blown k20z. Short story is I believe it blew a rod through the shortblock as a result of a careless mechanic from acura.

- keynotes (instead of reading my f'd up paragraph)
- bought rsx with a cylinder in low compression
- had it diagnosed several times at acura, during one time my car had no cooling hose connected and resulted in my rsx overheating all the way to red just causing my engine to shut off.
- had blueprint valvetrain installed
- problem fixed
- rod randomly breaks at 4ooorpm punching a hole through the shortblock
- wondering if cause could be denso ik22 causing preignition, or if the overheat could've caused the rod failure, or the valvetrain failed somehow (which all valves are accounted for and none dropped into cylinder)
- should i just rebuild the bottom using the current head i have or change everything?

Here's the longass story. I have an 06 rsx s I bought used with only 11k miles. I always felt the car was abused after I bought it as evidence by a worn out clutch at 15k miles AND to top it all off it had low compression on cylinder 4. I ran the compression tests myself and concluded I had a bent valve after cancelling everything else out so i brought it to an acura dealer to have it looked at. They couldnt anything wrong with it cuz it wasnt poppin' a CEL code but I knew something was a miss with engine cuz it wasnt pulling as hard as my friends.

Somewhere along the lines of tearing the engine left and right finding the problem the mechanic forgets to reconnect the breather hose to cool the engine and my engine overheated to red and just plain out died on me. I pop the hood and see it just hanging there so i reconnect it. Before I did all that I had changed the plugs denso to ik22 iridium just to cancel out plug failure, so i had suggested to my mechanic to compression test. so to make this quicker, they sent a technician from acura corporate to rebuild my valvetrain which i paid for, i figured i would put in a blueprint valvetrain kit in there. anyways my story is so f'd up cuz so much stuff happened and here i am with a broken rod with me never mis shifting. This freakin rod broke on me on 4th or 5th gear while getting up to highway speed at probably 4ooo rpm. that is some bs. I know im rambling but ive concluded that somewhere along the line something f'd up my engine and now im trying to buy a shortblock to rebuild my k20z.

I was just wondering if maybe my head was still useable? or maybe could have been the cause for the rod failure? maybe the ik22s ran too hot to cause preignition causing strain on the rod? I don't know too much but understand the basics of how engines work. I know all my valves are intact and still on my head because i made sure that none dropped as a result of my mechanic failing to do a good job.

So i guess im asking if its a good idea to use the same head from my old k20z1 to put on this new block im buying from another user here on a k20z3. or should i just go ahead and just buy a whole new longblock?

help me!? lol yes my sentences are fucked up i know

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Did you end up doin a k24 block or what I have a k20z1 also and want to do a k24 block for the tq looking for some info on what block and mods to the head/block I would have to do. didn't see any info on the k20z1 just The k20a2 and k20a

·
Anointed
4,571 Posts
Same rules apply to the k20z1. If you slap the k20z1 head on a k24a2 or k24a1 block you do not need to change anything. If you buy a k24a4 block you will have to change pistons to avoid Piston to Valve contact. I have buit a k20/k24 hybrid so if you have any questions let me know.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Same rules apply to the k20z1. If you slap the k20z1 head on a k24a2 or k24a1 block you do not need to change anything. If you buy a k24a4 block you will have to change pistons to avoid Piston to Valve contact. I have buit a k20/k24 hybrid so if you have any questions let me know.
Thanks, I didn't know if the z1 bolted up diff then the a2.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did you end up doin a k24 block or what I have a k20z1 also and want to do a k24 block for the tq looking for some info on what block and mods to the head/block I would have to do. didn't see any info on the k20z1 just The k20a2 and k20a
I'm rebuilding my 06 RSX type s with a K20z1 and what I'm looking for is someone to help me figure out what sort of Pistons to cam and valve springs I have to have in it to get an extra 50 60 horsepower out of my 06.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts