Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know how to sleeve a block, but how are the block gaurds installed?? Is the shop going to need to pull my engine to do this, or can they do this when they swap out my head??? I'm only going to be pushing 10 PSI so I don't need new sleeves, but I would like to get the blockgaurd for piece of mind.

Steve

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have seen a block gaurd installed, and it's very easy. Once the head is off, the BG is an easy fit. It fits right around the cylenders. I saw them use a rubber mallet to tap it in. But install took less than a minute.

You should get the head gasket too while you're at it.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The head gasket is the main reason why I'm doing the head swap. Somebody suggested the block gaurd while the head was off. I didn't think I was going to push enough boost for it, but every little bit helps I guess and for $180, the peace of mind is worth it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oh... why are you getting a whole new head?

·
Registered
438 Posts
do you have upgraded pistons and rods? cause at 10 psi ur block is gonna be fine...i'd worry bout the pistons and rods at that kind of boost

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
spcL K said:
Oh... why are you getting a whole new head?
Ported and polished, larger valves, new springs and retainers(all titanium). Just the simple stuff you know, nothing fancy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Steve Lloyd said:
Ported and polished, larger valves, new springs and retainers(all titanium). Just the simple stuff you know, nothing fancy.
Ahhh, the simple stuff. nice :thumbsup: . What brand valves, springs, retainers are you using? I wonder how much of a gain you'll see from the built head at 10 psi. Any estimates?

Are you going to upgrade your bottom end one day? Possibly when a pully upgrade is available?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but your money would have been better spent on the rods and pistons instead of all the head work. If the pistons go, then all the money you have just spent on the head may go too.
You are already going to have the head off thats the hard part. Drop the pan and the girdle and repalce the pistons and rods and your done. Peace

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm running a SC, not turbo, so I'm not as concerned about the bottom end right now, besides, I would have to pull the enginge to do the pistons the right way.

As for a pulley upgrade, that's how I'm getting to 10 lbs. of boost.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ahh, my bad. I thought the pully upgrade would yeild more boost than that, I was think'n more along the lines of 15psi or so. So, is that all the boost you'll be able to run on the JRSC? I'm not hating at all, I'm just curious.

About the head, what brand valves, springs, and retainers are you using? Thanks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Custom Ferrea valves, springs, and retainers. They don't currently make any for our cars, so I had to have them custom made.

The JRSC is only good up to 13 psi anyway, but the Hondata computer right now will only support 10psi due to our stock map sensor. After tuning I should be 300WHP and 225FTLBS. That's enough for me since I will be auto-xing the car and not drag racing.

·
parts selling freak
1,409 Posts
lets see here now mr lloyd,,, 10 psi pulley (i didnt even know that was out) custom ferrea valves springs...etc (thats not availble yet) and a complete head job..
damn dude, where do work and wheres your connections!!!!!!!!
:thumbsup:
no but if you dont mind could you share your hook ups??

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Valves and Springs, easy........... send one of each to Ferrea and they will rob you(I mean mkae them for you). As for the pulley, simple, go to Acura and order the crank pulley for the TSX, then measure the JRSC belt, add 1/2" and call Gates up and order the appropriate belt. As for where I work, I defend your freedom in the US Navy(E-5 with 12 years in)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
CMDR Steve Lloyd Right? :) Anyways, I was wondering, the TSX crank pulley goes right on the SC? I assume you already did this, and have a custom Hondata flash for the extra boost? I know they are releasing the programmable flash, but is what you have different?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The TSX pulley goes on the CRANK(that's why it's called a crank pulley) I don't have any of this on my car yet(tested the crank pulley for boost level on 2 dyno runs, VERY lean) because I am waiting for the Hondata to come out. You think I would do all this without telling people?? I was the first one with the JRSC in the country and you guys found out before my car club...........

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Steve Lloyd said:
The TSX pulley goes on the CRANK(that's why it's called a crank pulley) I don't have any of this on my car yet(tested the crank pulley for boost level on 2 dyno runs, VERY lean) because I am waiting for the Hondata to come out. You think I would do all this without telling people?? I was the first one with the JRSC in the country and you guys found out before my car club...........
Well I understand where the Crank pulley goes, but I was confused about swapping the crank to gain more boost. In all the SC applications ive seen or messed with, to increase boost you usually just get a smaller diameter sc pulley, not a crank pulley. I guess in theory it would work too, but I just thought that it would be more ideal to make the sc spin faster and not the crank.

Anyways, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On any Jackson Racing SC if you swap the pulley on the charger you VOID your warranty. All of their boost upgrades are crank pullies.

·
I see what you did there
12,635 Posts
since i plan to go with a turbo setup with 10psi or less will i need the block guard? i think the turbo headgasket would be nice... but are either necessary?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Is the tsx crank pulley smaller than a rsx crank pulley ? (E-5 AC US navy) what ship are you stationed of of?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts