Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys your help would be mucho appreciated.

Its a Turbo Talon, AWD, 100% stock, and has 60,000 original owner miles...oh and its a manual :blah: . Check this...the owners were 60 years old and bought it because they thought it looked "cute". They traded it in for a new convertible Eclipse lol. No dings no dents totally straight and clean. The mechanic said he has never seen one come in with so few miles and in such good condition. He said, "it just never happens". Oh I got a 36000 mi full warrantee too.

My question for you guys is what sites are the best IYO for the 2G DSM's. Any of you guys familiar with 2G DSM's...what would you recommend for some first cheap and easy power gains? What is typically the weakest link on the car? Ive heard that crank walk could be a problem under high boost.

I don’t want insane boost but I would like to make her as fast or faster (in the high end) as my RSX (had I/H/E Hondata).

Thanks...Pauly

·
Registered
335 Posts
dsmtuners.com

everything is there I'm sure you'll be doin the intake, exhaust , blow off and maybe an s-afc2 and boost controller.
A co-worker here has one and we did the same and the car pulls pretty good. :D

good find btw

·
Nice!
1,824 Posts
mastap said:
Hey guys your help would be mucho appreciated.

Its a Turbo Talon, AWD, 100% stock, and has 60,000 original owner miles...oh and its a manual :blah: . Check this...the owners were 60 years old and bought it because they thought it looked "cute". They traded it in for a new convertible Eclipse lol. No dings no dents totally straight and clean. The mechanic said he has never seen one come in with so few miles and in such good condition. He said, "it just never happens". Oh I got a 36000 mi full warrantee too.

My question for you guys is what sites are the best IYO for the 2G DSM's. Any of you guys familiar with 2G DSM's...what would you recommend for some first cheap and easy power gains? What is typically the weakest link on the car? Ive heard that crank walk could be a problem under high boost.

I don’t want insane boost but I would like to make her as fast or faster (in the high end) as my RSX (had I/H/E Hondata).

Thanks...Pauly

Try Club DSM.
Cheap power gains would be a boost controller, exhaust, bigger downpipe, airfilter, and afc. That'll get you into the pretty far into 13's with an awd dsm. It's not exactly cheap, but not too much more than I/H/E hondata.

·
Registered
289 Posts
03RSeXyasscar said:
yes sir it does, which is why my car went on the hoist 2 days after driven off the lot. :D

Like the good old days!!! My DSM was a superb fast car!!! Now the RSx is a good commuter car!.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Your gonna want a new BOV, boost controller, then redo the exhaust from the manifold back. Port your manifold, get rid of the cat and get a bigger exhaust. Also you will want to upgrade your fuel system. Thats gonna put you in to the 13s all day. If you want to go any more then that your gonna have to beef up the tranny. Trust me on that one. If you have any other questions let me know.

The Wicked MOnkey

·
Registered
865 Posts
if i'm not misstaken, many of the owners that have a 97 gs-t or gsx had crankwalk problems, and i'm sure but not positive that the talon has the same engine which would have the same problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would get an intake, 3in cat-back, 3in o2 elim dp, aftermarket bov or crushed 1g bov, fmic, afc, bc, ported 2g mani or evo exh mani, 1g tb & intake mani :)

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wickdmonkey said:
Your gonna want a new BOV, boost controller, then redo the exhaust from the manifold back. Port your manifold, get rid of the cat and get a bigger exhaust. Also you will want to upgrade your fuel system. Thats gonna put you in to the 13s all day. If you want to go any more then that your gonna have to beef up the tranny. Trust me on that one. If you have any other questions let me know.

The Wicked MOnkey
Thanks everyone!

http://www.jumptronix.com/2g_go_faster/Faqs/WasteGateSolenoidRestrictionFAQ.htm

Hey Wicked...does removing the WGS restrictor net any gains? Do I have to have a new BOV before I add a boost controler (or any other requisite mods besides a gauge)?

Thanks, I tried getting a membership with dsmturners.com but I didnt get an e-mail bounce back. :dontknow:

·
Registered
335 Posts
mastap said:
Thanks everyone!

http://www.jumptronix.com/2g_go_faster/Faqs/WasteGateSolenoidRestrictionFAQ.htm

Hey Wicked...does removing the WGS restrictor net any gains? Do I have to have a new BOV before I add a boost controler (or any other requisite mods besides a gauge)?

Thanks, I tried getting a membership with dsmturners.com but I didnt get an e-mail bounce back. :dontknow:

there's no blowoff on the factory set up, it's a bypass valve just reroutes the air back to the intake :D

tuning an s-afc is a good time with a blow off valve cuz with fact tuning you'll gum the cat faster.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
03RSeXyasscar said:
tuning an s-afc is a good time with a blow off valve cuz with fact tuning you'll gum the cat faster.
:confused: Ill admit...I am new to the 2G and im kinda lost as to what you mean. I thought that it does have a BOV but it doesnt vent to atmosphere. Why would you gum the cat faster? :confused:

·
Registered
335 Posts
the ecu sends fuel pulses and doesnt' take into consideration the blown off air, when the butterfly is closed the pressure is still high through the bypass valve, (look under the hood and see the intake before the TB has a large hose which reroutes to just after the airbox) without that air you run rich momentarily which means more fuel less air, less burnt fuel you gum the cat(can't catalyze that) and the heat in the exhaust you pollute more, oxides of nitrogen hydrocarbons etc.

with an s-afc2 you can tune a/f ratio every 200 rpm?? I think, not sure. and be careful to tighten the plug from the bypass enough cuz once the valve is on the intake that hole comes with a plug and the pressure will blow it out and it'll never be found. the hks ssq is pretty good, the plug is machined aluminum and holds well or you could just replace the intake runs.

also be careful with the exhaust, most guys do a 3" deal but with that comes less backpressure and more vacuum in the intake (beyond volumetric efficiency) it's called scavenging and you'll draw charge air into the exhaust and you could burn the ex. valves and the same cat issues along with detonation issues if not tuned. There is also boost creep along the same issues although it's not an isssue with good fuel tuning :D . Tuning is a good thing with these cars.

btw..Crankwalk isn't an issue with the 95 talons (but don't quote me) I'm sure that clearance issue was taken car of for 95-96. but look it up to be sure.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Removing the WGS will get you some small gains nothing significant, but you may want to. You will want to get an aftermarket BOV before you get a controller, and you will want to get a good gauge too at the same time. After that I would concentrate on the exhaust system because I saw some noticable gains when I did my exhaust. Plus if you want to upgrade the turbo a new exhaust system is going to be a must.

The Wicked MOnkey

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wickdmonkey said:
You will want to get an aftermarket BOV before you get a controller, and you will want to get a good gauge too at the same time.

The Wicked MOnkey
Thanks again.

I found a 1G BOV on e-bay for a pretty good price. I read that it is a good stock replacement for the 2G. Aside from that what aftermarket BOV's would you recommend/like. I like loud but not piss off the neighbors loud. ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
dsmtalk.com
dsmtrader.com for classifieds
dsmtuners.com for tech help

or just im me on aol @awdgod

i know a good amount about these cars cause my race gsx in 1 month away from completion after 8 months of getting parts.

-kieran

1 - 20 of 38 Posts