Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far it looks like BP had shown extreme negligence which led to the current gulf disaster. I was wondering if there was any BP Boycotts currently happening that anyone knows about?

Best list I could come up so far was on wiki of their products:

BP petroleum and derived products
BP service stations
Air BP Aviation Fuels
Castrol motor oil
ARCO gas stations
am/pm convenience stores
Aral service stations solar panels

I used to use Castrol High Mileage in my Subaru but I think I will be changing now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can stop using their products, but it wont make the spill go away. Seems kind of useless...
Company A doesn't do the right thing and causes a serious catastrophe. The masses stop buying their products so eventually they are unable to sustain their gigantic budget and the company fails or downsizes considerably. If you hurt them seriously financially they won't put seawater instead of drilling mud into the pipes to save money and/or time, etc etc..

Companies B - Z see this and don't want to end up being like Company A.

With your logic we should continue to give our dogs Chinese dog food that poisons our animals and giving their lead toys to our children.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No more tax breaks for oil companies:woot: yeah unless you count the 5$ price tag at the pump!!
When oil was $147 a barrel the oil companies made out like bandits. They do not need subsidies to get by and never will... They are just cash hoarding scoundrels.

The combined big oil companies (BP, Chevron, Conoco Phillips, ExxonMobil, and Shell) made $656,000,000,000 PROFIT during the Bush administration and invested only 4% combined in clean energy.

If they invested more into clean/renewable energy then subsidies wouldn't ever be necessary because once the infrastructure is built.. The energy is FREE. (Yes.. it costs $ to maintain it... but that's what you pay the electric company your $ for.)

Nothing is steering the energy ship but greed... Don't believe the bullshit these companies spew.

From a website in reference to 2008 said:
"While oil prices steeply declined in the fourth quarter last year, all but one of the Big Five saw net profits in excess of $20 billion. These enormous profits were primarily due to record prices at the pump, which squeezed the budgets of everyday Americans. The big oil companies were worried about the impact of these huge profits on their images while Americans were bearing the burden of record prices. So to soften the public’s perception, these companies launched a green public relations offensive to convince the public that they were part of the energy solution, instead of part of the energy problem.

Media tracking group TNS Media Intelligence reported that $52.5 million was spent by the oil industry on greenwashing advertisements—advertisements boasting about investments in wind and solar power or efficiency while the companies did very little—in the first quarter of 2008 alone. However, a CAP analysis of actual company investments in renewable energy and energy efficiency indicates that the PR campaigns are little more than empty rhetoric.

For example, ExxonMobil spent $100 million on advertising in 2007, (its 2008 advertising totals are unavailable). Some of its ads catalogue ExxonMobil’s “efforts” to combat global warming, with messages that include “saving energy and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.” This ad ignores the millions of dollars Exxon pumped into funding organizations that questioned the existence of global warming. Exxon’s television ads similarly talk about global warming, efficiency, and alternative energy sources, concerns not reflected in investments.

Chevron has its own advertising campaign to tout its green credentials. The company is spending millions to disseminate its “I Will” message on newspapers, television, and even on the sides of buses. But Chevron made a total of $23.9 billion in profits in 2008 while investing only 5 percent of its total profits in renewable and alternative energy ventures.

Other companies have also engaged in major greenwashing advertising campaigns in an attempt to protect their images during record gasoline prices and profits. BP has a whole series of cheerful animated commercials, and the BP logo itself is a green and yellow sunburst-like flower. BP’s profits for 2008 were $21.2 billion, yet it invested only seven cents in its alternative energy unit for every dollar of profit."

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
You are comparing not buying a failed/dangerous product to not buying a product because you don't like a companies perceived ethical standards. That's a huge difference in my opinion.
I don't know where you can see a difference here..

BP knew the risks of cutting corners and still went ahead with it to make MORE $ so they caused a disaster that hurt people and animals..

Chinese companies know the risks of cutting corners to make a cheaper product so they can make MORE $ so they hurt people and animals..

2 different situations.. but one very key comparison... GREED.

The fact remains, that a boycott will not help the current situation at all.
I would agree with this... It won't help anything right now but the future can change because of proactive people... as opposed to the majority of Americans who are too fat to go outside or too coddled to move out of their parent's house..

Talking about how fat they are or how lazy American young adults are isn't going to fix the problem RIGHT NOW... But if public perception changes enough then these things will be fixed in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.