Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first off let me say I hate the look of a bra on the RSX. But for a long trip where I could get alot of road chips I think it might be a good idea to get one. I have never owned one so I don't know how easy it is to take on and off? Also is there a place to get a good one cheap somewhere on the web??
Thx

·
Speedy
1,171 Posts
i use mine for the same thing...

~$100 for an OEM full nose mask. i got mine from a local acura dealer that was selling for a discount on ebay. here's a link of one that's going for $95 plus $8 for s&h some there are lot of dealerships that will give you a good price just check around or just ask for a discount from any dealer...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=2479779153&category=33640&sspagename=WD1V

·
_
167 Posts
Yeah you should definitely invest in a full nosemask for long trips. I drove a long trip, 400 miles, a couple of times without the mask when I first got the car in 02 and now I have a bunch of little rock chips on my bumper. :( Not too happy about that.

As for looks, I have a NBP so it doesn't look as bad imo.

The first time you put it on takes the longest since the nosemask isn't stretched yet at all. It might be easier to have a friend help you the first time. But now it only takes me about 3-4 mins to get the entire nosemask on the car. I use it everyday when I drive my car to and from work (other days my carpooler drives his car) since I have to drive 90 miles total each day. I would highly recommend one; it's worth the $100.

·
ADVAN'S FTMFW!!!
1,392 Posts
One point to remember is that if you have a bra on your car make sure to clean under it OFTEN. You will get dirt and dust under there between the bra and your car. When you drive it will act like sandpaper against your paint. So just make sure to clean under there often if you are on long trips or it might look worse than a couple rock chips. I may be wrong and someone with experience can definately correct me. I have just heard this and see the truth behind it. Peace

·
_
167 Posts
That is true. You need to keep the felt side of the nosemask clean. I usually have 2 coats of wax on the car anyway for added protection against exactly this (and water spots from the occasional hidden sprinkler). If you get little marks under the mask from dirt rubbing against it, there are products you can use to take it out.

·
Speedy
1,171 Posts
oh by the way how about those seminoles...... glad to see bobby finally let his son win..

·
Registered
262 Posts
Those bras do more damage to the paint then there worth, if you looked at your paint with a magnifined glass you would see tons of scratched from dirt/sand/crap getting lodged under the bra and getting beat around in the wind. However it does do a good job at getting small stones/rocks from butting big chips in your paint. I have a few friends that have M3's and use 3M clear plastic protector on there front bumper and hood. It's a 3M thin clear plastic adheasive that you strech and stick to the front bumper and hood which when done right is nearly invisible unless you know it's there or it's getting old and the sides are starting to slighting be seen. Does an awesome job, keeping your car looking like new, and getting protection from something that doesn't look like it's there. Also not having to put a hidious big black bra covering the the whole front of the car. I would look in to that if you are concerned about chips and dings, and do a lot of cross country driving. The cost I think is around 100 - 300ish. And I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself, have a prefessional shop put it on, because you have to strech it as you put it on, and if you don't do it just right is will look like shit and you can tell you have something on your bumper/hood.

·
_
167 Posts
Well about the scratches and stuff, it shouldn't be a problem with a correct layer of wax so it won't get "into" the paint. And there's always claybar, scratch-x, etc. I mean, you're going to get dirt and crap on your car and into your clearcoat anyway from regular driving. Your occasional claybar will do the trick.

The clear bra is really going to be more expensive than the nosemask but I doubt it's in the 1000's range.

·
Registered
262 Posts
blurp said:
Well about the scratches and stuff, it shouldn't be a problem with a correct layer of wax so it won't get "into" the paint. And there's always claybar, scratch-x, etc. I mean, you're going to get dirt and crap on your car and into your clearcoat anyway from regular driving. Your occasional claybar will do the trick.

The clear bra is really going to be more expensive than the nosemask but I doubt it's in the 1000's range.
If you get some nice size pieces of dirt/sand/rocks under your bra, the bra will beat against the front of the car a few times a second on the highway. And a claybar, scatch-x won't get rid of the won't take away the damage thats been done. I've seen many people take off their bra after being on there car for a few months up to a few years. And the only way to bring back the finish of that car is to wet sand and shoot with paint. But I mean if you throw it on for a cross country drive and then take it off you will get very little if any damage. But if you keep it on and drive around you'll start to get some noticible damage.

·
Registered
354 Posts
you can do it the ghetto way.
my roommate took blue painter's tape and taped his front bumper and side doors on his abp type-s, for a 6 hour trip. I wish i had a camera to take pictures of it.
I must say, it was really funny looking...but i have yet to ask him if he has any rock dings on his front bumper.

·
Mambo King
105 Posts
I can say tha I had a bra on my Civic Si and didn't like what it did on the paint if you left it for too long, like I noticed that just after you wax and it's windy the wax works like a magnet for dust and the dust falls under the bra and alike one said a few responses above, it acts like sand paper.....not to mention that washing the bra is a drag...BTW anyone know an 2000Si owner I will sell it for $50 shipped to their door...( Canada not included....sorry)
here is a picture of my 2KSI back before I sold it...

·
Mambo King
105 Posts
bhu96 said:
so just for my 6 hour trip to school and back would you guys recommend the bra? I'm only going to have it on during the trip. When I get there I will immediately take it off.

yes I recommend it...but for show 4get about it....that's what I did and now after selling my SI , I still have the bra that no one else seems to want........ :crying: ...

·
i ❤ macro.
2,252 Posts
Bras are bad news. I wouldn't use one on my car. I do have a million and one specks and chips from the road on my hood, and mostly my front bumper/lip...it's terrible since I've only had the car for a little over a year. But I still wouldn't use a bra. My car is blue so all those white dots are noticeable. I already worked on it with touch up paint but over the course of two months, I got a lot more chips.

If your car could sit in the showroom all day it would never happen, but that's not reality. Reality is your car is exposed to the elements just by sitting outside. C'est la Vie. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.