Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, i thought about doing this mod but afraid the paint wouldnt last. and yes i have searched and i found out how to do it, how to mask, take 'em apart, etc. but not really much (or any) info on how long the color last. i know most ppl used the high temp paint. but ya, how long is the life on the paint? thanks!

-van-

·
<3 Convertibles
1,727 Posts
I did mine about 1 and a half years ago, and tho duller, there are only a few chips. If I have the time I'm going to repaint them.

·
PEBCAK
547 Posts
Its not difficult to paint them. use high temp paint. This is what I used on my civic:

here's how it looked painted:

Just make sure that you clean them properly first.

8,021 Posts
staticfree said:
Its not difficult to paint them. use high temp paint. This is what I used:
I didnt mask mine off. What I did was use a small paint brush or a lot of Q-Tips and just brushed it on. So far my rear has no chips or isnt fading.

·
BOOST
1,606 Posts
When I did my civic, when I changed my pads I just took the full caliper off and the drums in the back and painted the whole thing.

I've thought about doing this for my RSX but I don't know if I want Red or not. White Car, Bronze Rims, Red calipers.... Look good?

I think I will photoshop it.

EDIT: Here... Hmm....

·
yawn..
22,903 Posts
Just cover up the rest of the area other than the rotor. I did mine in july, they still are pretty red except one of them is a little faded. When I have time this summer, i'll just take my wheels off and add a few new coats. [after you clean them off s othere's no particles in the way of the paint that is]

·
CRSX Father of Two
4,874 Posts
Don't paint the rotors. That would look silly.
As for taking off the calipers, that's a piece of cake with basic tools. Just take your time and mask off everything you don't want painted. Click the link in my sig for the details and pics of my project

·
BOOST
1,606 Posts
kwork said:
Don't paint the rotors. That would look silly.
As for taking off the calipers, that's a piece of cake with basic tools. Just take your time and mask off everything you don't want painted. Click the link in my sig for the details and pics of my project
If you painted the rotor wouldn't it just come off the first time you used your brake?

·
Must...stop...modding!!
3,953 Posts
I might paint mine either red or black in the coming weeks. Should i just use the high temp spray paint or the paint specifically for calipers? And is there some kind of gloss or clearcoat I can put over the painted caliper to help prevent (or hopefully but less than likely eliminate) any kind of fading?

·
Registered
11,745 Posts
Just use a high heat engine enamel. The paint I used was only 500 degrees and have had no problems besides chiping, and they were done like 2yrs ago.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what about upgrades? like to the bremo (is that spelled right?) breamo? :dontknow: brake pads? how much would that cost?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts