Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

181 - 189 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Yup, all the front brake parts are different for the base/type S, that's what I was saying, but, the question is, why? Is the type S heavier in front? or does it have better brakes, in which case you could upgrade, but to keep the bias/handling you'd have to change out everything, including the power booster, which those in the other thread have not.
Because the assumption is that the type S is going to be used to go faster/see track time and will require more consistent stopping power.

That said I changed my booster too, I got one here for $50 but they're like $50 on eBay as well.

·
2002 EBP RSX 5m w/Leather
288 Posts
well, I need to replace a rotor, but, I think I'm going to skip the upgrade at this time, too much $ to change out everything :/ when all I need is new front rotors & pads. Maybe when I have some spare $ I will do the upgrade.

I appreciate the info. in this thread, very helpful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Recommendations for rear brakes

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for this sticky, it was very helpful.

I'm new to the site. I just purchased a 2004 Type S and so far I'm thrilled with it. It has 165k miles, but so far it drives great.

I just took the car to a shop to have the whole thing evaluated for potential problems and have a bunch of maintenance stuff done.

The biggest thing the mechanics found is that the rear brakes are going, and I'll need new pads, rotors, and calipers. The shop wanted to use rebuilt calipers from Napa or some other manufacturer, but I decided to use this as an opportunity to investigate better alternatives.

Based on your post, I'm not in the market for a big break kit or slotted/drilled rotors. I'd like something high quality that will maintain the front/rear balance you mentioned. Also, I'd like to know if anyone has an opinion on whether I should just replace all four breaks now since I'm going to do the back ones anyway. Are there potential issues with only doing the back brakes? I'm not looking for anything flashy or crazy, but I do want to maintain the aesthetic of the car.

Can anyone recommend a good rear brake solution and/or venture their opinion on just rear vs. all four?

Thanks so much for any guidance you can offer :)

·
Past Driver’s Ed
499 Posts
Nothing wrong doing the back brakes first and latter the front just as long as you service them in sets. I have used refurbished brake calipers without any issues – stick to a reputable brand name. Checkout StopTech’s stage 2 slotted brake upgrade kit. The kit comes with slotted rotors, pads, and braided stainless steel brake lines. Good quality, good performance, for a descent price for a daily driver that is occasionally driven competitively on the weekends.

·
Registered
4 Posts
stop techs

This is exactly what I need. Thank you, DC.

I think that kit will work perfectly. I think I'm going to buy that, and I may just buy cheap calipers for the time being and get an upgrade when I finish paying down the repairs, maintenance, and brake kit.

I'm super excited about this car. I bought it Thursday and drove it 250 miles to VT on Friday, then back yesterday. Really good to test it out. I'm running into some of the shifting issues I've read about, particularly for 3rd gear.

Today I had the shop do the following:

- Oil change with Mobil 1, lube
- Flush coolant system, new collant
- Flush and replace transmission fluid
- Replace cabin filters
- Check electrical system and suspension
- Replace rear tires

I got a good deal on the car and I think after these repairs/maintenance and the brakes I'll be in good shape, but if you have any other recommendations, I'm all ears. I've been reading the boards for the last few days so already have lots of great info.

Attached some pics. It's mostly stock. Even though I want to keep it relatively tame, there are so many possibilities :). Thanks again for the recommendation. I'll let you know how it works out.

Attachments

·
Past Driver’s Ed
499 Posts
This is exactly what I need. Thank you, DC.

I think that kit will work perfectly. I think I'm going to buy that, and I may just buy cheap calipers for the time being and get an upgrade when I finish paying down the repairs, maintenance, and brake kit.

I'm super excited about this car. I bought it Thursday and drove it 250 miles to VT on Friday, then back yesterday. Really good to test it out. I'm running into some of the shifting issues I've read about, particularly for 3rd gear.

Today I had the shop do the following:

- Oil change with Mobil 1, lube
- Flush coolant system, new collant
- Flush and replace transmission fluid
- Replace cabin filters
- Check electrical system and suspension
- Replace rear tires

I got a good deal on the car and I think after these repairs/maintenance and the brakes I'll be in good shape, but if you have any other recommendations, I'm all ears. I've been reading the boards for the last few days so already have lots of great info.

Attached some pics. It's mostly stock. Even though I want to keep it relatively tame, there are so many possibilities :). Thanks again for the recommendation. I'll let you know how it works out.
Looks clean! Reviewing your list of repairs I’d say you are off to a good start. Check the condition of your serpentine belt and spark plugs. If your not road course racing I agree with you brake plan. Check out the mod details on my garage site for some ideas. My build theme was a fast sleeper. You don’t have to go with forced induction to have fun with your RSX.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks. I couldn't be happier with it.

I see what you mean by "sleeper!" That car looks sweet. I don't think I'll be doing anything that intense, but I won't rule out going for more HP in the future. Right now I just want to put good parts on the car so it stays healthy.

Got it back from the shop yesterday. I didn't have them do the brakes because they're saying the rebuilt calipers they want to use would be $135 for each side. I think I've found them a lot cheaper online. Does anyone have any guidance on how much front and rear calipers should cost for the Type S (assuming something close to OEM)? Or, can you recommend a good online resource where I can buy them? I've found a bunch of sites and manufacturers/resellers, but I don't know who to trust. Community recommendations and guidance make me feel better!

I'm definitely going to pick up the Stop Tech slotted rotor kit upgrade as soon as I figure out the caliper part of the equation.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Thanks. I couldn't be happier with it.

I see what you mean by "sleeper!" That car looks sweet. I don't think I'll be doing anything that intense, but I won't rule out going for more HP in the future. Right now I just want to put good parts on the car so it stays healthy.

Got it back from the shop yesterday. I didn't have them do the brakes because they're saying the rebuilt calipers they want to use would be $135 for each side. I think I've found them a lot cheaper online. Does anyone have any guidance on how much front and rear calipers should cost for the Type S (assuming something close to OEM)? Or, can you recommend a good online resource where I can buy them? I've found a bunch of sites and manufacturers/resellers, but I don't know who to trust. Community recommendations and guidance make me feel better!

I'm definitely going to pick up the Stop Tech slotted rotor kit upgrade as soon as I figure out the caliper part of the equation.
Not sure if your shop checked, but it wouldn't hurt to take a look at the motor mounts either. Maybe check your radiator end tanks and lower hose (I know I wish I looked at mine sooner). Congrats on your purchase.

181 - 189 of 189 Posts