Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Brake modifications

649 views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Zzyzx 
#1 · (Edited)
With a number of races under my belt, and a true feel of how autocrossing works, I'm looking at a catalogue of brake modifications and starting to consider small add-ons to my car other than the change of tires and K&N drop-in filter I put in. Nothing crazy, just enough to aid the smooth flow of power needed for autocrossing runs.

Here are a few of the possibilities, but I don't recall the regs on these:

1) Brake pads/rotors- easy to self-install, easy boost in performance from one major aspect
2) Exhaust system- some extra power possible, might give me a little extra oomph in the right spots
3) Minor suspension modifications- somewhat more difficult to make it work properly, but would certainly aid performance on course

Again, I'm not completely brushed up on the regs with these, so if anyone has any advice, feel free to jump in here. I'm planning on getting in many more races this season, but not going to modify until summer starts creeping up my ass. I've got a little time to think about it, plan it out, so I want to do it right, and very much UNDER budget, which is very low to begin with.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Josh said:
I'm not sure what minor mods the suspension your talking about so I would have to say keep the brakes fuctioning well.
Do you recall what the limits were on brake modifications to stay in Stock?

Also, the kinds of modifications I meant were possibly bigger sway bars, but I seem to recall that you couldn't modify the front bar without leaving stock.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. That should make it easier.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Now is that all within stock?

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Josh said:
Hmmm, this sounds like a very doable plan. I already checked out the rotors and pads, that should be doable with some good solid work at the end of the semester to boost funding. Hopefully I can figure out the suspension soon too, but we'll see what happens. If I get into the Coast Guard, it may just be the brakes. Won't have time after getting into OCS, might have to just leave it stock otherwise.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
I intend to be a cone-killer as long as I can still drive stick. ;)

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Alright, talk to me, what's this whole break-in technique you guys are talking about?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.