Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I bought my car at 10,800 miles...now its about 14,850 miles and I'm starting to hear the brakes squeal a little now for the first time...when should I change my brakes? Considering the milage bought and used... Any input would be nice.. =)

·
San Diego OG RSX
2,812 Posts
I would say take it to the dealer to see if they will cover it under warranty. Or your brakes are very dirty and you need to brake cleaner to get the grime buildup.

Does this happen only when you push the brakes or even when you are not pushing the brakes?

·
CRSX Father of Two
4,874 Posts
Brake squeal can be caused by 2 things:
1) Dirt or grime between the brake pad and rotor
2) Squealer bar on pads is touching rotor.

If #1, get some brake cleaner and spray all your pads
If #2, get new pads.

I'd say take one of the front wheels off and look at your brakes. See if the squealer bar is touching the rotor when the brakes are not engaged. If so, replace those pads ASAP. Damage can occur if this is left unattended.
A large percentage of your braking power comes from your front brakes, so they will wear faster than the rears. A new brake pad is around 1/4 inch thick. You can look at them without taking them off the car and tell if they need to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have 10k on my RSX and the front brakes have been squeling for a couple thousand miles, usually only when I first start driving. I drive kinda hard and an going to need a brake job soon

·
SHIFT_
5,022 Posts
I complained and they replaced the front/rear pads...this was two years ago with 19k/kms...

They will squeal after awhile...just use a rough sand paper and lubricate the pads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts