Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Yes, thats my email.
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my dad just bought a Suzuki Boulevard M50(800 cc).

He isn't around much so its almost as much my bike as it is his. I bought a helmet/jacket/shoes so I have all the gear figured out. We did the basic rider course in May.

So my question is, when coming to a light, what should I do? I can't tell if I should roll to a stop and then shift to neutral. Shift all the way to first then shift to neutral when rolling. Shift into neutral from 2nd and then coast to a stop? They didn't talk about it in the class.

One thing I'm noticing is that i pretty much have to shift down before the light because the bike doesn't like to change gears once it stops rolling.

·
MY OTHER RIDE IS A VETTE
8,922 Posts
down shift as u r slowing to a stop. I put the bike in neutral. or u can go down to first and hold clutch in as u come to a stop, then upshift to neutral. or hold the clutch while in first gear if it's just a stop sign instead of stop light. you'll figure it out.

the ? u have about shifting while stopped has been covered in the new rider sticky. Basically the bike like a bicycle and a car likes to be moving to shift. U can manually roll the bike back and forth from dead stop position and shift to get the bike to into the gear u want.

·
Yes, thats my email.
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
down shift as u r slowing to a stop. I put the bike in neutral. or u can go down to first and hold clutch in as u come to a stop, then upshift to neutral. or hold the clutch while in first gear if it's just a stop sign instead of stop light. you'll figure it out.

the ? u have about shifting while stopped has been covered in the new rider sticky. Basically the bike like a bicycle and a car likes to be moving to shift. U can manually roll the bike back and forth from dead stop position and shift to get the bike to into the gear u want.
I know I should find this myself but I read the "I'm about to buy a bike sticky" and it only talks about buying a bike. Is that information contained in the responses?

·
stay classy south jersey
507 Posts
I've only been riding for a month so take this with a grain of salt... but I've been driving stick for a while and its pretty similar in this case.

If i know the light is going to turn green before i come to a stop then I downshift, letting the clutch out after each downshift so I'm in the right gear to accelerate.

If i know i'll be stopped for a while i'll downshift without letting the clutch out and stay in first.

If I'm lazy or my hand is getting tired I'll put it in neutral and sit up straight with my foot on the rear brake

8,021 Posts
keep it in first until you stop. I usually engine brake in 1st until I'm stopped but I have it in neutral before I put my feet down. It becomes second nature after a while

·
Retired OG
100,341 Posts
So my dad just bought a Suzuki Boulevard M50(800 cc).

He isn't around much so its almost as much my bike as it is his. I bought a helmet/jacket/shoes so I have all the gear figured out. We did the basic rider course in May.

So my question is, when coming to a light, what should I do? I can't tell if I should roll to a stop and then shift to neutral. Shift all the way to first then shift to neutral when rolling. Shift into neutral from 2nd and then coast to a stop? They didn't talk about it in the class.

One thing I'm noticing is that i pretty much have to shift down before the light because the bike doesn't like to change gears once it stops rolling.
What you'll notice is if you let the clutch out just a little bit, you'r gear change will click. So when you are trying to downshift (sitting still) and it won't, let the clutch out and get trying until it does, it'll grb before the clutch engages. Or roll forward just a hair, easily done by letting out the clutch like I described above and walking forward.

·
Retired OG
100,341 Posts
i leave it in second. mine jerks violently if i put it in first while im rolling.
Depends on how fast you are rolling, under 15 shouldn't be too bad, but think about sitting still and going to first, that's pretty violent. As long asa your speed in relavance to the gear you want to go into is "normal" you should be able to go into any gear at any taime, as long as it's speed appropriate.

aka, you can't go intol first at 100, but at a normal 1st gear speed like 0-25, should be fine.

I know most sportbikes can go like 65 in first, but that would put an awful lot of strain on that poor clutch.

·
DC5-R (車両型式に&#1
2,744 Posts
shift to the right speed you are cruising at..or eles if you put it in the wrong gear and have to give it gas the bike will take off..without you..

·
Yes, thats my email.
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm dieng to ride. Fuck you hurricane fay. I want to try out these techniques for when I don't get downshifted in time.

·
Registered
505 Posts
?? This doesnt sound right. Can you explain? Are you just dropping the clutch or not rev matching?
i rev match the same way as i would in a car. but it feels like the bike jerks as soon as i put it into first before i even get to rev and let go of the clutch. everyone says that my bike sounds wierd, like a bunch of little rocks in a dryer.

·
LOL wut
8,728 Posts
i rev match the same way as i would in a car. but it feels like the bike jerks as soon as i put it into first before i even get to rev and let go of the clutch. everyone says that my bike sounds wierd, like a bunch of little rocks in a dryer.
lol wtf? get that shit checked

Reactions: mr.05'tsx
8,021 Posts
what rpm are you trying to drop it into 1st? If you're too high of an rpm, it'll sorta lock you out and you'll hear the gears click/grind together. If you're too high, pull the clutch in then rev it a bit and let hte clutch out

·
MY OTHER RIDE IS A VETTE
8,922 Posts
that's not right.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts