Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys coming up in may i am going to my first track event at Pocono with the PCA (dad has a 996 turbo) at $250 a person i figured i take my car and learn how to drive something with out destroying the Porsche.

my question is what DOT. fluid and pads would you recommend. i have until next Saturday to get them i am going to the tech session to get this stuff done

·
Not a Newb Member
613 Posts
You should use DOT 3 brake fluid. I like to use ATE fluid, but in reality, any brand will likely be fine for your first track day - as long as it is new and the system has just been flushed/bled.

For brakes, you should be just fine with any high end street pad for your first event. Heck, I used Hawk HPS for my very first track day... If you want to spend more money on a track only pad, I have had good luck with Hawk DTC-60. Lots of stopping power, no fade, etc. It's always a good idea to bring a spare set of pads as backup too.

Have fun!

·
Bańned
12,106 Posts
You should use DOT 3 brake fluid. I like to use ATE fluid, but in reality, any brand will likely be fine for your first track day - as long as it is new and the system has just been flushed/bled.

For brakes, you should be just fine with any high end street pad for your first event. Heck, I used Hawk HPS for my very first track day... If you want to spend more money on a track only pad, I have had good luck with Hawk DTC-60. Lots of stopping power, no fade, etc. It's always a good idea to bring a spare set of pads as backup too.

Have fun!
im with this guy and its brakes!!!

·
My torque is low like
12,935 Posts
ok guys coming up in may i am going to my first track event at Pocono with the PCA (dad has a 996 turbo) at $250 a person i figured i take my car and learn how to drive something with out destroying the Porsche.

my question is what DOT. fluid and pads would you recommend. i have until next Saturday to get them i am going to the tech session to get this stuff done
First day...learning to race? just bleed the system with stock fluid and you will be fine. Check your pad life first and replace them with stock if needed. I highly doubt you will out drive your brakes and if you do you will need pads that wont work at street temps anyway so good luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would stick with the stock but it has to be replaced anyway so i figured i put a higher temp in. i am not new to the concept of racing so ill see how hard the instructor will let me push it

·
My torque is low like
12,935 Posts
i would stick with the stock but it has to be replaced anyway so i figured i put a higher temp in. i am not new to the concept of racing so ill see how hard the instructor will let me push it
So then go with as high a temp pad as you think you can deal with daily. I use Hawk HP+ and they are about as far as I would go although Axxis ultimates were nice too.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think for the first time ill stick with the stock. i know my dads talking about buying all the tools and i have another car i can drive so i wont have a problem with changing stuff around. ill just through some DOT 3 in

·
Auto-X'd EP3
124 Posts
eh... I'm the opposite state of mind as some of you guys. if its pocono you will be getting up to some good speed on the oval part, I am all about being over prepared. Rather then have your weekend cut short because of shitty brake pedal or roasted pads I would upgrade what you can for cheap insurance.

A good set of higher temp pads, and fluid will do wonder for your brakes. I used ATE super blue, and my first event a few years ago I used Hawk HP+ and was good to go. Remember though when your new to a track or to a car your generally on the brakes more/creating more heat even if your at less overall speed. Stock pads would freak me out, once they lose their bite, your going to have a hell of a time with the car. Your not going to be going 70mph then stop, Pocono is going to get you past 110, and while its not a break intensive course you will want something that can handle the heat of multi run track day.

I run most of my HPDE with the various PCA clubs and they are all a great bunch have fun!

·
Member member
3,136 Posts
im a fan of tuning after you encounter a problem, however, since you need brake pads anyway, why not go with a decent street pad like a hp+ or the new stop-tech pads?

thats basically what i did. i needed new pads a little while before my first auto-x season started. rather then go oem again (i was having problems with pad deposits on the rear brakes so i wasn't too keen on that idea), i upgraded to an entry level performance pad and have been happy since.

fluid will be fine as long as it's fresh. im still using dot 3 since the dry boiling point is basically the same between dot 3 and dot 4, i just replace it once a year. i can get enough to bleed my whole system (including clutch) for under $5 at my local parts store.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i think for my first event iam going to go with the fluid (its getting low) i am not sure if its ever been replaced and the car has 25000miles

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts
Dirt cheep high temp brake fluid = Ford Heavy Duty. no joke, its got a crap wet boiling point, but new its right up there with ATE (+500 deg). so if you are on a budget, its probably your best bet.

·
cone head
1,452 Posts
Yeah you're better off getting mid-price stuff and changing it more often than something exotic... best thing you can do with brake fluid is change it before/after heavy track use.

As for pads, I got them free but I'm liking the EBC Yellowstuff so far. They work fine for the street and stop well when cold and are absolute brick walls for stopping the car when warmed up! They are quite dusty though - but good news is it's a non-metallic compound so shouldn't damage the finish on fancy wheels...

·
Not a Newb Member
613 Posts
As for pads, I got them free but I'm liking the EBC Yellowstuff so far. They work fine for the street and stop well when cold and are absolute brick walls for stopping the car when warmed up! They are quite dusty though - but good news is it's a non-metallic compound so shouldn't damage the finish on fancy wheels...
Sweet to hear that they work well - just curious, have you had the chance to put a lot of heat into them yet, such as on track or hard repetitive braking? I am wondering if they fade when hot. If not, I will put my set on for a track day use.

(Sorry to jack the thread)

·
90's BMW
127 Posts
im a fan of tuning after you encounter a problem, however, since you need brake pads anyway, why not go with a decent street pad like a hp+ or the new stop-tech pads?
Does anyone know of anyone that has used the new stoptech street pad and yes i did search first. if so how does it compare to axxis ult. ill probably have to change mine out before the end of the year between autoxing for 2 clubs and a couple HPDE's.

·
Member member
3,136 Posts
Does anyone know of anyone that has used the new stoptech street pad and yes i did search first. if so how does it compare to axxis ult. ill probably have to change mine out before the end of the year between autoxing for 2 clubs and a couple HPDE's.
it's an improved axxis ultimate. member ktec is the one that first told me about them.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts