Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Did a search and couldnt find what i needed...

One of the male RCA heads to my amp has a pin that broke off... i dont know how...

I lost output from my rear left and went to check the connection - but when i pulled it out, the pin stuck in the female side and broke away from the male end.

My question is... can I splice in a new head? or do i have to go through the hassle of taking my interior apart to replace all the wiring?

*side note - one of my buddies said even if I did splice it, id lose quality - is that true?

Cheers!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Honestly, I think you could splice in and possibly not tell a difference (depends on how good your work is). But personally, Im not a fan of splicing at all and would be much more comfortable and feel better about the install if a new RCA was run.

Did the male end of the RCA actually break off in the amp?

While I dont recommend this to anyone who doesnt have a decient experience with electronics or electrical work: I bought an Eclipse 4-channel amp years ago, from a friend who had the RCA tip break off in the amp's female connection. I ended up opening up the amp, removed the circuit board, unsoldering the RCA connections all together from the circuit board, and being able to press out the tip. Obviously then had to resolder the connectors back into place, and reassemble. But the amp still worked great afterward, just a pain to deal with. I got the amp at a great price, as it was practically un-usable at that point.

·
The Audio Guru
12,945 Posts
depends on the type of RCA cable a standard single wire with ground is not a problem, when you strip the outer insulation the center pin is the wire with the insulation (usually white or red) ground is the stranded wire not in the insulation and attaches to the outer portion of the rca, Should not have any quality issues unless you use too much solder. with twister pair you need to be a little more careful as one wire is ground the other the positive (for lack of a better term) and in some brands it is a bitch to tell the difference between the two. People have been and still do build their own RCA's esp when you get into uber high end installs where you want custom lengths.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts