Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

Broken stud

Tags
broken stud
606 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  steguis 
#1 ·
so this weekend was the last houston autox i could attend this summer and well first wheel i take off, front drivers side, third lug i loosen feels crossthreaded. After talking some people i go ahead and take it off and stud snaps.

Dont remember crossthreading it at last track day cause i try to be careful. but w/e so i didnt get to run.

just wondering how many of you have done the same thing? lots of people recommended ARP studs and some TL open ended lugs. and yes i did search and saw all the other threads, none in this section

#2 ·
If you crossthreaded it, you're SOL anyway.

Broken studs normally happen from over-torquing when you put them on OR putting cold nuts/wheels onto hot studs. If you've got aluminum or titanium race nuts then switch on OEM nuts that have been sitting around while you're running, well, as the nut heats up and the stud cools down, it can stretch and weaken the stud.

I always let my car cool for a bit, then hit everything down there with the 'ole water sprayer before I do anything.

-Dan!!

#4 ·
putting on oem nuts while racing will be doing what for me? i'm almost positive i didnt crossthread it but thats only reason i thought it wouldnt come off. i torque to 90 with a torque wrench everytime

i was using gorrilla locking nuts i got off ebay, guess that could be it too

#3 ·
I suspect the crossthreading or overtorquing would be the factor.

88,700km - lots of racing miles and lots of taking wheels on/off but no problem with broken studs.

Sometimes it may just have been a weak stud. I know Nissans (Sentras at least) have fairly weak studs and should definitely pay attention to how you torque them.

Also, even though you didn't overtorque at that event, if it was overtorqued - especially if it was severely overtorqued previously, that would've been enough to weaken the stud.

My friend torqued his wheel with an impact gun (air compressor, no torque sticks). His studs broke, but they didn't break until 3 months later. But then all 5 were like sheared off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.