Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently installed the Buddy Club Short Shifter. The install was simple and straight forward. I had a couple reservations about doing this mod so I held out for quite some time.

First off, the stock shifter is a work of art in my eyes. The connected feeling is as good and for the most part better than nearly any other vehicle I've owned. It's tight and solid. My biggest worry was I've seen a couple great reviews on the BC Short Shifter and I've also seen some others that were okay but mentioned the quality is obviously not on par with the OEM shifter.

My reason for buying it is I also love the look and feel of a short throw. Keeping the revs up between shifts is important obviously as you start getting further and further down the tuning path.

So yesterday I'm sitting there with my stock shifter removed. As I'm examing the stock right next to the Buddy Club I could see what people were seeing in terms of finish but to be honest not by much. The fit and finish of the BC wasn't bad. The plastic was solid and wasn't suffering from any warps. Weighting was nearly equal. About the only difference was the "seams" if that's what they're called. They are just a little more pronounced on the BC one versus stock. As I was going through the motions back and forth, side to side I noticed however the BC was kind of "clicky-clacky" :laughing:. I couldn't help but think that this was what people were mentioning when they said the OEM shifter felt more solid. I noticed that on the OEM one Honda puts 1 triangular silver deading material on the driver side of the shifter. I can't imagine it's anything other than a deading material. It looks identical to the eDead product with it being a black rubber-butyl type of material on the backing and silver on the face of it. I can't think of any other purpose it would serve. For a second I didn't even notice it I think because I thought I put it on there when I deadened my floors.

So I grabbed my box of eDead and Teklite material from my install. I luckily had a lot of left over material. I only used about a sq ft of material (keep in mind there are inches of material on the stock one). I started cutting the eDead into sections that would nearly cover 75% of the exterior of the BC shifter. After applying the eDead I couldn't believe the difference. The shifter now felt as solid, if not more than the stock one. :thumbsup:

Don't know if anyone's tried this yet. If you haven't and you have some extra deadening material laying around I'd highly recommend it. The only difference I feel is the spring tension moving the BC shifter side-to-side. The spring isn't quite as tight on the BC vs stock. Not a biggie in my eyes.

Hope it helps.

·
king of rentals
48,362 Posts
i wish u took pics

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whats the triangle on the stock piece
LOL. Are you joking? Did you read the write up or just look at the pictures?:rotfl:

From my post above.

I couldn't help but think that this was what people were mentioning when they said the OEM shifter felt more solid. I noticed that on the OEM one Honda puts 1 triangular silver deading material on the driver side of the shifter. I can't imagine it's anything other than a deading material.

·
Weightlifting Master
3,311 Posts
that clip where the right shifter cable connects is responsible for that sound, duct taping down should fix it thats what I did with my BC and Revo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts