Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Señior Memberish
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some of you might know, i had a pretty nasty clunk in the passanger rear of my car. I took the damper off once just to tighten the preload a little and to lock the body with a hammer and screwdriver, but didn't once think to check the top-hat.

So if anyone has a clunking noise coming from their rear coilover, this is the solution i had personally..

The top hat i guess screws onto the damper (which i didn't know), and it was one turn off from fully tight. The person who installed the rears for me im assuming didn't know that either. So when i took it off again, and shook the top hat, it was basically like a washer around a pencil.

So there you go. this thread is just in case someone searches buddyclub clunk, for ideas. :thumbsup:

·
K24 > K20
4,605 Posts
So as some of you might know, i had a pretty nasty clunk in the passanger rear of my car. I took the damper off once just to tighten the preload a little and to lock the body with a hammer and screwdriver, but didn't once think to check the top-hat.

So if anyone has a clunking noise coming from their rear coilover, this is the solution i had personally..

The top hat i guess screws onto the damper (which i didn't know), and it was one turn off from fully tight. The person who installed the rears for me im assuming didn't know that either. So when i took it off again, and shook the top hat, it was basically like a washer around a pencil.

So there you go. this thread is just in case someone searches buddyclub clunk, for ideas. :thumbsup:
Yup i just discovered this myself about a month ago, used some red loctite and reinstalled :thumbsup:

·
[email protected]~13psi on Alcohol
1,531 Posts
thanks. i think this explains the weird noise that has been plaguing me the past couple weeks. i thought it was something in my trunk

·
Registered
2,206 Posts

Oh nice I have that same problem only from my drivers side. gotta do this soon its so annoying
what about the front?
If you have a clunking from the front you can take a 19mm and tighten the bolt on the tophat (under the hood)

·
fucks.given =< 0;
3,773 Posts
Sounds like inner perches are loose! Gotta remove whole strut assembly and re assemble to specs.

·
sigh
12,700 Posts
kind of off topic but when you guys are preloading the springs, are you tightening the locking nut down to a point where the sprint won't rotate? i'm a little confused on the method... the springs are already 200mm. so... is the spacing between the area the springs rest in 200mm?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts