Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Free crack giveaway?
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched already but couldnt find anything, so please dont flame me.

I have an 05 NBP. After washing with a mild car soap, I find the whole front bumper and most of the hood is covered with bug splats. This shit has been on for over 4 months as I havent cleaned my car in a while. Its on there like a mother effer, wont dissolve in soap water.

Whats the best way to get it off without damaging the paint? I have heard people suggest claybar before, but the Acura service guy told me to buy some "bug splat remover chemical." He also told me to never use wax on a black car, only polish.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
First of all never leave bug guts on the car for a long period of time. They will actually eat through the paint. Now i own a nbp also and i unserstand how it sucks to remove them from our paint. I recommend poor boys bug squash to start. If you still have some persistent bugs then try some claybar. Good luck and always try to remove bugs right away.

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-b...ww.autogeek.net/nsearch.html&query=bug+squash

·
Complete Part Out
16,861 Posts
The acura service guy you spoke to has no clue what he is talking about. DO NOT use any chemicals like that on your paint unless they are specifically meant for use on paint. I've seen these chemicals dull paint. Check out superiorcarcare.net. You can also use a clay bar ( i LOVE these, highly reccomend) or a bug and tar sponge which they sell on that website. Make sure if you use anything on your paint that will remove wax or if you clay bar it, then follow that up with a good wax or sealant. BTW, i have an 05 nbp and although it's a bitch to keep it clean, nothing looks better :thumbsup:

·
Free crack giveaway?
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seth812 said:
The acura service guy you spoke to has no clue what he is talking about. DO NOT use any chemicals like that on your paint unless they are specifically meant for use on paint. I've seen these chemicals dull paint. Check out superiorcarcare.net. You can also use a clay bar ( i LOVE these, highly reccomend) or a bug and tar sponge which they sell on that website. Make sure if you use anything on your paint that will remove wax or if you clay bar it, then follow that up with a good wax or sealant. BTW, i have an 05 nbp and although it's a bitch to keep it clean, nothing looks better :thumbsup:
Amen brother, it does look good for 15 seconds when its clean, but my next car wont be black dude, its just too much of a bitch that needs pampering.

·
Registered
161 Posts
For this I have always used WD40 believe it or not.
My last car was very dark metallic and you never knew I used WD40 on it. Use WD40 and a dish scubber from your kitchen and dont rub to hard.

I used to be a auto detailer and DONOT use ANY hard chemicals on your paint. WD40 is just a light oil. It dissolves the bug splat easily. You can also use WD40 to remove very small paint scuffs too.
Good luck.

·
Car Care Extraordinaire
2,147 Posts
As others said try the claybar first. If not I would try a Bug & Tar Remover.
I would be a little cautious with those Bug & Tar sponges. I had one and while it removed all the crap, it marred the hell out of my car.

Oh ya and you should :stfu: the guy working at Acura. Always polish your car and never wax it? :dontknow:
I tell you that got some really dumb people working at these places.

·
Four Rings
5,094 Posts
use a little elbow grease with your regular washing mit and car soap. You really shouldnt leave that crap on your car too long as its obvious now, it gets really hard to get off. If its a lot, i would clay...if not...id use rubbing alcohol and then re-wax the affected area. Good luck:thumbsup:

·
Bowchickabowwow !!!
152,614 Posts
:( no car wash in 4 months?

·
Projectors....Mmmmmm
2,271 Posts
I had the same problem with my old black civic. The bugs on it were permanently part of the paint. I got most of them off but then there were some that wouldn't come off. You can see the stains on the paint. I didn't want to try those chemicals to get bug stains off cause I was scared it might ruin the paint. So I just kept washing and washing and washing it. scrubbing those little bastards off. I know better now with my rsx though. Everytime I see a bug, I use that Meg's detail spray.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I realize this is a little late and you've probably removed the splatter, but for future reference...

Never EVER use "elbow grease" on NBP. This will cause marring. Even using the wrong type of claybar, and/or the wrong claying technique, will marr your finish.

The first thing to do is a pre-soak. You want to get the splatter as "soft" as possible so that the particles will come off in as few strokes/dabs as possible. A claybar will definitely remove the splatter, but for every stroke of the clay that you do the hard particles will be in contact with your paint until you knead it.

I soak with my detailing spray for two to three minutes. I substitute WD40 if the splatter/contaminant is a little tougher. Once it's soft, there's a greatly reduced chance of marring during removal. Follow with protectant.

If you can't get the splatter to soften ... then use the clay bar. Be prepared to polish and use LSP if marring is caused and you're extremely particular about your finish.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Glad I dont have black....whew!!!! My g/f does and its a beeeeyatch to keep lookin nice.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
42,973 Posts
Trooper said:
For this I have always used WD40 believe it or not.
My last car was very dark metallic and you never knew I used WD40 on it. Use WD40 and a dish scubber from your kitchen and dont rub to hard.

I used to be a auto detailer and DONOT use ANY hard chemicals on your paint. WD40 is just a light oil. It dissolves the bug splat easily. You can also use WD40 to remove very small paint scuffs too.
Good luck.
i used wd40 also and it does work :thumbsup: try it out, not to much and make sure to wash the area afterwards

·
Registered
466 Posts
try the sponge from walmart in the car cleaning section with the net over it they seem to come right off with that on mine!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with the folks who recommend the claybar. You can't go wrong with it; it will definitely work. If you get some chemical that may or may not work you might end up spending more money later on something else. Just get yourself a claybar and remove all the gunk from your car the first time. After you claybar it be sure to put at least one coat of wax or polish on as the claybar will remove everything down to the clearcoat.

Also you need not claybar your entire vehicle if you don't want to spend hours on it. Just clay the areas desired and wax or polish after.

·
Registered
161 Posts
All you have to do is spray is offending bug with WD40 and let it sit for 5 minutes and wipe it off.
Works perfectly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts