Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont know anything about building a box.. LOL but i would like help building a new box for my woofer. i have tried looking at the RE box calculator as well as the Torres one. they all seem so confusing. i dont know when u would need to point your sub up and have the port down?? any help would be greatly apreciated.

Oh and the sub is a P1 15 inch Fosgate 8 ohm woofer.

and i have a prime 500.1 amp

sealed box. 1/0 gauge from the alternator to a stinger spv35 battery then 4 gauge fosgate wire to the amp.

This is what i came up with but i dont know if it will work ?

·
bleep-bleep bleeeep
1,631 Posts
I've been an audio engineer for longer than I care to admit. And I've seen more home made speaker cabinets/subs thrown in the dumpster that I can remember. It's not rocket science. But most folks seem to have a really hard time making it sound good. Even when you reverse engineer a store bought one; it just doesn't sound the same.

By the time you buy all the shit and spend all the time; you may realize that it would have been easier/cheaper to just buy one.

All I'm saying is beware. It ain't as simple as it looks.

-scott

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh. So what would you recomend? Paying a professional to huild and tune the box for me . Or do you think it would be worth the en devour building my own box?

·
The Audio Guru
12,945 Posts
Go to a custom box builder esp if you have never built a ported box before.

Personally I would not bother as the equipment you are running as it is pretty entry level and I would spend my money on a better sub then a better amp as you are not getting any power to that sub if it is 8 ohm as at 4 ohm a 500.1 is only doing 250watts so at 8 ohm you might be giving it 150 watts, get a 4ohm DVC sub and run at 2 ohm to get the full 500 watt potential out of the amp.

·
Burr
2,020 Posts
If he's looking for some fill and a bit of low end, ported p1 wouldn't be a bad choice.

And it's a 15, so distortion will be low.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I went with locotony advice and went ahead and bought new woofers.
I went ahead and bought a fosgate t0d212 700 w rms and 1400w peak. They both should be here by monday morning now I need to find a good enought amplifier to push these bad boys. Been looking around and I saw a fosgate amp 1200w rma at 2 ohms. Wondering if that would be good enough to push both of my subs?

·
The Audio Guru
12,945 Posts
I would never Have bought fosgate subs unless it was a hell of a deal, too many other brands that are cheaper and will produce better SQ and SPL. As for an amp soundstream rubicon 1.1600D or PPI sedona 1.2000D don't know what your price is though.

If it was Me I'd get a pair of dual 4 Sundown SA-12's ported tuned to 32 hz or so of a sundown sax-1200d amp.

·
Burr
2,020 Posts
You could've done better with your money, but they're not bad subs.

I also would've went with just 1.

Honestly, you should've just kept what you had and had a good enclosure built for it.

Not hard to get loud and sound good in a hatch

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bought some more 1/0 cable about 10 feet 5 for the amps and battery I have and 5 for the big three upgrade. I already have a stinger battery not sure about the highoutput alternator maybe down the road. And I should be getting a custom box made by a shop here in stockton, for around 160 bucks..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update! Started building my own box. Pictures will be postes later. Using .75 inch mdf board torres box calculator and my own tools! Im going to wrap it in grey and blue suede

1 - 20 of 31 Posts