Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
San Diego OG RSX
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well i took my car to get an Oil Change and the next day when they gave it back to me. I saw it had about a 3 inch gash on the front bumper under the drivers headlight. I was very pissed but luckily my service rep is a cool guy and he offered to get it fixed.

They gave me a loaner car (TSX) :thumbsup: for a week and today i went to go pick it up and the gash was gone. I couldn't even tell where it was. It seems like they repainted the whole bumper.

Now im wondering...the paint seems kinda bumpy (orange peel?) and dull. It has no shine compared to the rest of my car. It isnt that noticeable but i am a perfectionist (arent we all?) when it comes to my car. So it get me wondering....

What do you recommend i do to get it looking shiny and glossy like the rest of my car? Is it safe to wax my bumper even though the paint is still fresh? Would a clay bar take care of the bumpiness of the paint? Any help appreciated

·
San Diego OG RSX
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i got a whole package deal but i think if you calculate it out Lojack cost me about 500..if memory serves me right.

·
San Diego OG RSX
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But can someone please still give me a reply on the bumper...its starting to look shiny now that i look at it...but how long do i have to wait before i wash the car or wax or all that other stuff. Its still fresh paint as of thursday the 29th.

·
Yeah ok
343 Posts
toxicvtec said:
But can someone please still give me a reply on the bumper...its starting to look shiny now that i look at it...but how long do i have to wait before i wash the car or wax or all that other stuff. Its still fresh paint as of thursday the 29th.

I was told not to wax fresh paint for at least 30-45 days....minimum. i had the same problem with the front lip on my old s-10 xtreme..i had it repainted, but it looked like shit to me, it felt rough and was dull....noone else noticed, but i think it was because the didnt use as many clear coats :dontknow: ...but shit happens, have an rsx now.

·
I am a non smoker
5,202 Posts
haha, i was a inch close to buying a xtreme way before i got surprised with my new rsx....their nice and fun little trucks, but i like my rsx a billion times better...

·
i ❤ macro.
15,894 Posts
That is correct. You should wait about a month before waxing your car since the fresh paint hasn't yet "cured".

I'm not sure what to say if it feels bumpy. If it was just repainted it should feel as smooth as a baby's butt. They worked on your car, but you are not sure if they repainted it or what they did? I know if it was my car I'd have to know exactly what was being done to it before they do it.

In any case, I would go back to the dealer and ask them what they did and inquire as to why it has a rough-like texture. Perhaps they will buff it for you. If they don't do anything, at least they will have your complaint on file. Before you wax it (this is after a month +), you should use a claybar to see if the rough feel is just surface contaminants. If that's all it is, the claybar should be able to remove it.

·
San Diego OG RSX
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well the bumpiness isnt really that bad...i guess its because im comparing it to the rest of my car...which is very smooth. When i look up close to the painted surface, i see a few specks of black dust or something of that matter. I guess when its been a month and i can start doing stuff to it, i will claybar and im sure it will get it off. Then a few coats of zaino should do the trick... :eek:

I think im just being too picky...even though i should be since they are the ones who put a gash in my bumper. They offered to fix it, no problems, i didnt have to say much:

Me: I didnt have this mark when i gave it to you guys. (pointing at the mark)

Service Advisor from Cush Acura: Wow that is very bad, we will take care of it. Here is a loaner car (drops keys of a 04 TSX auto with navigation in my hands)

Me (in my mind): ::shrugs shoulders:: aight, im down for this :thumbsup:

·
San Diego OG RSX
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so how do i go on to clearcoat it? if that is the case...is there a clear coat out there i could apply that applys like a wax ?

·
Registered
108 Posts
EternalBlue said:
That is correct. You should wait about a month before waxing your car since the fresh paint hasn't yet "cured".
I used to think the same thing, but then I started working at a Car Dealership (10 years ago) and "right or wrong" we always waxed brand new cars for customers. You know that service/package "sealant" that car dealerships are always trying to upsell customers to? That is essentially a coat of wax on a brand new car. We also waxed cars that just came back from the body shop (hoods, bumpers, etc.). We never had any "fallout" from doing this practice, hell, the body shops did it too. Guess my point is when you initially picked up your car from Acura, more than likely they applied a coat of wax to "impress" you when the car was delivered and the paint may or may not have been 1 month old at the time.

That being said, I'd personally wait the 30 days regardless. It also sounds like you have another issue on your hands with the dealer. They damaged the car, they fixed the car, you are not satisfied with the car so they are 100% liable to work with you until you are 100% satisfied. Belive me, in my 5 years of the car dealership business I saw some shady things (i.e. sales people had other workers stand in front of a dent in a car until the customer got in and drove away, that way when the customer called the next day the dealership could just claim that they weren't responsible b/c the car left the lot). If you allow them to pawn off unacceptible work, it is only going to benefit the dealership.

As a matter of fact, I just had a month long battle with my local Acura dealership due to their attempting to do a shady deal with me (damaged vehicle dealer traded from another state). I'll post that at a later date if I decide not to get my lawyer involved.

Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts