Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i've had this problem since the day I bought my car and I initially thought it was the smell of burning oil and since then i've fixed the small oil leak that I previously had. Whenever I get in my car and roll down the windows I get this horrendous burning smell, it almost smells like plastic and toxic odors so I almost never roll down my windows. I also get pretty bad gas mileage but that part isn't killing me but it may have something to do with the underlying burning gas smell. It smells so bad, not like fresh gas or a boat gas fumes, like toxic gasses. Where do I begin to start solving this problem? I drive a 02 RSX TYPE S.

Please helpppp

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've had the car for over 5 months and the smell is still there, so there is no way anything is stuck to the cat and burning for that long either.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've also got my car throwing the bad 02 sensor code p1163 or something like that. But I replaced both 02 sensors and it's still throwing me the code. Does this mean I have a bad Cat converter?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I've also got my car throwing the bad 02 sensor code p1163 or something like that. But I replaced both 02 sensors and it's still throwing me the code. Does this mean I have a bad Cat converter?
Not sure about the smell you mentioned... but did you clear your code for the O2 after replacing it?

I've smelled a burning plastic kind of smell most days on my way home from work, but I believe it's the vehicles around me riding their brakes down the hill. I believe the clutch will have a similar scent if you're on it all of the time. The cat would smell like sulfur, so I don't think that's your problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I reset it a few times, about 50 miles or so after the reset it will come back. I'm pretty good on the clutch, and I could leave it in a gear on the highway and the smell will still be there. Does that process eliminate that it could be that?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's definitely got a fuel sort of smell to it, not oil though.. the smell gets worse, goes from a fuel smell to a more plastic burning smell as I drive more in the same trip... I've never had any major problems though, every day I drive her and it handles well, just stinks!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The clutch could be on its way out. It could also be your brakes, so I’d start there. The calipers can stick if they’re not lubed enough.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The clutch could be on its way out. It could also be your brakes, so I’d start there. The calipers can stick if they’re not lubed enough.
Oh wow brake calipers? Yikes that's scary. I just heard a noise for the first time driving home yesterday, it sounded like a very fast scraping, almost like a loose bearing that you can hear spinning, it's only when weight is distributed to one side of the car more than the other though. Could this be a result of my calipers sticking, which is why it's making a crazy spinning "hissing" noise, it's very rare, i only heard it 4 times on a 30 mile drive for a maximum of 2 seconds out of time.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but it wouldn't hurt to look. I had a similar sound coming from my rear brakes just before they needed to be replaced.

Have you tried pinpointing the scent after you've parked the car?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I've tried but the smell is only so strong while i'm driving, once i'm parked, it's almost completely gone, no lingering. I'm going to get my brakes checked out this weekend, hopefully that's the problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, when i'm on the highway I usually stay in 5th gear for the most part, which i'm on the highway for most of my drive. So I really don't think it could be my clutch..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you find out the problem my car is doing the same thing smells like gas/ fumes mix together and I also get bad mileage on gas

Also, when i'm on the highway I usually stay in 5th gear for the most part, which i'm on the highway for most of my drive. So I really don't think it could be

1 - 12 of 12 Posts