Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've had my turbo on awhile and I'm just starting to notice that after running across town or something for awhile, at a red light with the car running, oil (white smoke) is burning and coming out my exhaust. I tapped the return line as high as humanly possible when I installed the turbo. I'm not leaking oil anywhere.

Why is my turbo burning oil...sometimes?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Brillo said:
Ok, I've had my turbo on awhile and I'm just starting to notice that after running across town or something for awhile, at a red light with the car running, oil (white smoke) is burning and coming out my exhaust. I tapped the return line as high as humanly possible when I installed the turbo. I'm not leaking oil anywhere.

Why is my turbo burning oil...sometimes?
ME FREAKIN' TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Same things happenin' to me man....How long after you had the turbo did it start happening? It started smoking for me randomly..like the way you explain...but it got worse and worse...and eventually started slowly leaking oil from where the engine oil bolt is. I hope we can figure out why it's happening. People tell me it's probably the piston rings and that's making me mad cause I never ran lean with boost ever so far...=((( Lee said it might be the turbo seal. In that case we'll need new turbos. I hope turbonetics will send it for free.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just reading your posts.

I think we have the same problem. I want to try the incline thing too.

It's happening to me when I run the car for awhile and say I go on a trip then let it idle to cool off the turbo and then all the sudden smoke starts coming out. It stops when I rev the car good. But lately it's been a little more and it's embarrasing.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stage I and never higher that 7 psi...but sometimes spike to 9psi.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dude..it's been so tough for me. I haven't had any big problems...but always this little stuff. I wish it would go away so I can enjoy the car for just a few weeks or something.

·
Out on bail
3,816 Posts
dam that sucks. do these "minor" problems happen to everyone? I dont wanna get a kit that makes me work on it all the time :(. but yea, good luck on that man, i hope you get it all fixed.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Brillo said:
But lately it's been a little more and it's embarrasing.
That's exactly how i feel

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm almost wishing I did supercharger just b/c it would eventually give me the 300hp horses that I wanted and not givin me all these fits.

Just be prepared to baby your car alot and work on it as soon as you spot problems if you get turbo.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's I guess a given till you've just gotten more experience with turbos and can diagnose problems faster.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
let's see if I can list some:

fuel injector fitments
fuel leaks at pump
misfiring
idling issues
CEL's
and more

·
Out on bail
3,816 Posts
one more ?, did you install it yourself or have someone else do it. could these problems have been solved if the first installation was flawless?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I installed it myself and yes some things could have been avoided if it wasn't for my install. But I have never installed a turbo before and some problems came from the kit. Like having to get hoses long enough, no directions for install, no fuel rail spacers and injector o-rings that came with it that were too small.

Things like misfiring and fuel leaks at the pump could have been avoided with a better install and more knowledge of turbos.

·
Out on bail
3,816 Posts
oh ok, im planning on making a trip to turbochargers.com, and they seem to know what they are doing so maybe my problems will be minimal.

how long ago did you get the kit?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put it on the week before NOPI. So I've had it for 5 months.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Cybernation uses high quality Turbonetics turbo with an experienced failure rate of only 2%. Sometimes turbo seals will fail there is nothing we can do except offer our assistance to get them replaced or repaired. We sold approximately 200 Turbonetics brand turbos last year and had fewer than 10 that smoked. This is certainly not an epidemic rather it is the exception not the rule. There are many members on this board that run our kits. If this had been a major problem it would be widespread and well known.

Cybernation recently released a 40 page installation manual to aid the installation efforts with our kits. We recommend you get the kit professionally installed to avoid self-inflicted problems.

XxThInKxX,

Keep in mind that when you add over 110-140+whp to a stock car that the maintenance will obviously be greater. The greater the power, the more responsibility it comes with. If you don’t intend to look under your hood then a do not get a turbo. They are quite a bit of Cybernation owners on this forum and if you are considering Cybernation then do a search and private message a few people and get a better feel for how people feel about their kits. High performance comes with its fair share of challenges, we always do our best to minimize problems and as anyone who dealt with us will tell you we stand behind our products and we provide the best support to our customers.

·
Registered
235 Posts
XxThInKxX said:
oh ok, im planning on making a trip to turbochargers.com, and they seem to know what they are doing so maybe my problems will be minimal.

how long ago did you get the kit?
If you talk to anyone about turbo's you might as well just call cybernation and get all the info. from them. They know what they're talking about. Bad turbo seals can happen to anyone. This is rare. This can happen with any other turbo kit too. Any turbo seal has the possibility of goin bad.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts