Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im 17 and I just bought a 2006 rsx base and the struts are bad should I just buy some Coilovers or buy the oem struts and if I do buy Coilovers will the ride be harsh???

·
Registered
978 Posts
We can give you opinions all day, but it again comes down to what you want and can afford. You will get several different answers, and still won't be able to make a decision. There are countless reviews on here to reference. I read everything I could find for over a month before choosing what I currently have.

Coupe of no brainers
  • Struts/coilovers with linear springs will always ride stiffer than OEM or the aftermarket equivalent (progressive springs)
  • "Coilovers" implies height or dampening adjustability. This is typically for performance. Don't buy something you don't need.
  • Price does matter. You get what you pay for.
  • Just because you've heard good things about "brand x" does not mean it's true, or that it's better than "brand y".
I personally thought the base factory suspension was too bouncy and uncomfortable because of it. It is relatively soft though.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I’ve been doing research I’m just stuck I don’t know what to do and I was hoping to get help from my fellow community
We are your fellow community. I will trade you a complete LOW mileage 60.k TYPE S suspension Front/Rear struts and springs For cheap! This will get you started and give you an iota as to what a few more bucks down the road can do? Better than nothing now a-day's! Go mfarmakis17. I see you still have your sense of humor! I've been robbing body shops and selling masks online for 350$ in my spare time....lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We can give you opinions all day, but it again comes down to what you want and can afford. You will get several different answers, and still won't be able to make a decision. There are countless reviews on here to reference. I read everything I could find for over a month before choosing what I currently have.

Coupe of no brainers
  • Struts/coilovers with linear springs will always ride stiffer than OEM or the aftermarket equivalent (progressive springs)
  • "Coilovers" implies height or dampening adjustability. This is typically for performance. Don't buy something you don't need.
  • Price does matter. You get what you pay for.
  • Just because you've heard good things about "brand x" does not mean it's true, or that it's better than "brand y".
I personally thought the base factory suspension was too bouncy and uncomfortable because of it. It is relatively soft though.
We are your fellow community. I will trade you a complete LOW mileage 60.k TYPE S suspension Front/Rear struts and springs For cheap! This will get you started and give you an iota as to what a few more bucks down the road can do? Better than nothing now a-day's! Go mfarmakis17. I see you still have your sense of humor! I've been robbing body shops and selling masks online for 350$ in my spare time....lol
I’ll think on that I’mma just replace the struts with oem struts then put some lowering springs on go from their but I really appreciate the help

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd be down for a trade.
Denver

·
Registered
978 Posts
I’ll think on that I’mma just replace the struts with oem struts then put some lowering springs on go from their but I really appreciate the help
Ok that's one thing that I do not recommend... springs rates need to match the dampers or you will have shitty ride, shitty handling, and worn out struts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok that's one thing that I do not recommend... springs rates need to match the dampers or you will have shitty ride, shitty handling, and worn out struts.
Welp how else am I supposed to lower my car I mean I could do Coilovers but idk of the ride is gonna be harsh. I was looking at some Tein Coilovers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tbh I just give up I want to do this then something pops up to where it’s not gonna be right then I want lowering springs but it’s gonna mess up the struts so I just give up

·
Registered
978 Posts
Tbh I just give up I want to do this then something pops up to where it’s not gonna be right then I want lowering springs but it’s gonna mess up the struts so I just give up
This is why I previously said you should buy whatever you want and can afford. What's wrong with the teins? Most threads state that they don't ride that stiff, but you knew that because you did the research, right? Don't let me change your mind dude, I'm just relaying what I've experienced and learned from reading on here.

·
Registered
331 Posts
:) Well said 17. Dude I bought some inexpensive lowering springs on E-b** and they did just fine by me for some time. I have a TypeS and had a lot on my wish list to do. As stated it takes time and money. It will take some effort if you want to make that base quick. If your OK with that for now spend your money on handling. 17 is your guy. You got a great car as a "base" to build on know matter what you do....Is that a 5 speed? If not your screwed and I would just put gas in it and be happy...J/K :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:) Well said 17. Dude I bought some inexpensive lowering springs on E-b** and they did just fine by me for some time. I have a TypeS and had a lot on my wish list to do. As stated it takes time and money. It will take some effort if you want to make that base quick. If your OK with that for now spend your money on handling. 17 is your guy. You got a great car as a "base" to build on know matter what you do....Is that a 5 speed? If not your screwed and I would just put gas in it and be happy...J/K :)
It’s a auto 😬😬 but hey I still love the car

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought tien lowering springs h.tech with kyb shocks and they rode good and been on the car which my bro owns now for more than six years no problem. When I bought my type s I bought used type r springs and struts and they were amazing for oem. I just installed bc coil overs and I love them so far. It all depends on what your needs are and what you plan to do with the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tbh I just need some Coilovers that are comfortable to ride on because when I bought the car the struts were bad and I do buy Coilovers do I need a camber caster plate
I bought tien lowering springs h.tech with kyb shocks and they rode good and been on the car which my bro owns now for more than six years no problem. When I bought my type s I bought used type r springs and struts and they were amazing for oem. I just installed bc coil overs and I love them so far. It all depends on what your needs are and what you plan to do with the car.
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well it depends how low you want to go. I got BC Coilovers BR series w/o extreme low kit w/ 10k front and 12k rear spring rates. They come with camber plates in the front only. You need to get rear camber arms if you want to straighten the rear tires up again. My coilovers drop my ride height about 1.5 inch at default settings(can go lower or higher). They ride amazing they feel almost oem.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If I buy Coilovers do I need a camber casting plate too?
I'm 1.0 rear 1.5 frt. No plates. In the rear I do have adjustable camber arms. ONE thing...NOT every shop can do a proper alignment especially if it's modded some won't touch it. I would look and TALK to locals as to who they use in your area. Straight out where your at. Get some KYB's Some tien springs (think twice about droppin' it in the weeds!) Mine is comfee but a parking block will catch my stk. frt. lip. I have to lift the car to get a jack under it. Handles good looks right It is a daily driver when It's not being worked on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well it depends how low you want to go. I got BC Coilovers BR series w/o extreme low kit w/ 10k front and 12k rear spring rates. They come with camber plates in the front only. You need to get rear camber arms if you want to straighten the rear tires up again. My coilovers drop my ride height about 1.5 inch at default settings(can go lower or higher). They ride amazing they feel almost oem.
Cause I’m just tryna lower it like 1 inch

1 - 20 of 23 Posts