Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you guys feel about buying a car off of Ebay?

Pros and Cons to this?

Any positive or negative stories relating to people you know or even yourself who bought a car off Ebay?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
havnt done it but from my understanding i thnk u juss pay like a 500 deposit and when u go to pay 4 the car n person, if u dont like it or there is something worong with it that wasnt metioned u get ur deposit back so i mean u cNT REALLY GET SCAMMED

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
havnt done it but from my understanding i thnk u juss pay like a 500 deposit and when u go to pay 4 the car n person, if u dont like it or there is something worong with it that wasnt metioned u get ur deposit back so i mean u cNT REALLY GET SCAMMED
Not everyone goes to look at the car before actually buying it. That's the whole point of buying cars off of Ebay. Sometimes someone's dream car is 2,000 miles away and they can't just fly a plane over there to check it out, so they trust the seller is being truthful, they pay for it, and have it shipped out to them.

Anyways...I was just asking.

I go on Ebay often, and always notice that there are sooo many nice cars on there, unlike what I usually see in autotrader and such. So I was asking myself if I would ever do it.

It doesn't seem as if you get much of a better deal though. You would think buying off ebay you get a better deal because you can bid for cars and get them at lower prices. But all sellers put "reserve prices" on the cars, which means even if you win the bid, if you don't match the reserve then you don't get the car. And usually they make the reserve price, about what you could find that car for on average, anywhere else. So how exactly do you save money by buying a car off ebay?

·
Robsrsx
478 Posts
How would you guys feel about buying a car off of Ebay?

Pros and Cons to this?

Any positive or negative stories relating to people you know or even yourself who bought a car off Ebay?

If I can't actually see it and feel it I try to stay away, even if it sounds like a good deal. JMO

·
Wanna see my war face?
9,528 Posts
one of my friends got his 3000GT VR-4
off of e-bay
he did lots of research, communicated with the owner, checked it out personally, drove it. the works
in the end it was a good choice

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
one of my friends got his 3000GT VR-4
off of e-bay
he did lots of research, communicated with the owner, checked it out personally, drove it. the works
in the end it was a good choice
Was the car in the same area as your friend? Or in a completely different state?

Also...

does anyone know how people save money by buying cars off of ebay? I know people are always saying that because you can bid instead of buying outright, you can save a lot of money and get the car for cheaper. But reserves are set and if you bid and win, but don't meet the reserve, you don't get the car. So how exactly do you save money when the reserves set are usually about the same price that you could get the car for outright?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why did you mention that selling your car on Ebay is genious? I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the benefit is of buying a car on ebay. It doesn't seem like you really save any money. But I thought the main reason people bought cars on ebay was to get a deal?

·
Semi Kind of Retired
222,529 Posts
Why did you mention that selling your car on Ebay is genious? I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the benefit is of buying a car on ebay. It doesn't seem like you really save any money. But I thought the main reason people bought cars on ebay was to get a deal?
Well, compared to the traditional way of selling cars through for sale signs and even Cars.com and Autotrader, eBay has it's benefits...

1- No test drives needed, no noobs f up your car
2- A deadline to sell the car, people know it won't be for sale forever
3- You'll get a lot more hits (my opinion)
4- You can cancel the auction at any time for any reason as long as you say that somewhere in the auction. So if there's like 2 minutes left and you're 3,000$ under what you expected to get, you can just cancel it and repost the auction

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, compared to the traditional way of selling cars through for sale signs and even Cars.com and Autotrader, eBay has it's benefits...

1- No test drives needed, no noobs f up your car
2- A deadline to sell the car, people know it won't be for sale forever
3- You'll get a lot more hits (my opinion)
4- You can cancel the auction at any time for any reason as long as you say that somewhere in the auction. So if there's like 2 minutes left and you're 3,000$ under what you expected to get, you can just cancel it and repost the auction
But if you set a reserve...doesn't that mean that even if someone wins the bidding, if they don't meet your reserve, then you don't have to sell the car to them?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts