Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'm planning to buy Acura RSX.
This is gonna be my first car. Please, help.

There is an Acura RSX 2006, 130k mileage, no accidents. As per seller, maintained well, oil changed every 4k miles. The condition is good, only a pea-sized rust on the roof. Runs good. New tires. Leather interior. I know that might be not all that you need to know about the car, but please, advise if $6000 is a lot for the car? Is the rust fixable?

There is another car 2005 for $5700. the mileage is 147k. There is a bit of rust under the passenger wheel and a bit underneath a spoiler. Normal wear and tear on the car. Leather interior. No accidents. Please, the same advise for this car. Would really appreciate.

Another Acura is 2006 for $4800 with 110k mileage. There are 2 rust spots. One on the hood a size of a pea, the other is on the right side bumper joint. Cloth interior, normal wear and tear, there are some small scratches. No accidents.

I would really appreciate if you guys could advise on each car and the best option between them. I really want an Acura RSX. Please, answer as detailed as you can.

Thank you.

·
283 Posts
In my opinion, the one with the least amount of miles is also the cheapest, so the third one seems like the most viable choice. But it all comes down to what you want out of the car. Do you want an RSX just to drive? do you plan on modding it, and how much money are you willing to invest in repairs and such. Rust is never good, but it is definitely fixable or replaceable

·
RSX Offroad Crew
451 Posts
Where do you live? Is rust normal on most cars after awhile there (like in Illinois/Ohio etc)?

The rust on the roof isn't a bad thing, but you want to make sure the whole underside of the car isn't f**ked. Like how do the sway bars and lower control arms look, etc.

Other than that, I'd go with what DC5_USMC said and pick up the one with lower miles. If it's well maintained, trust me that an Acura RSX with 110,000 miles is just getting started. I bought mine with 100k on it, and it still runs just as good now at 212k.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for the reply.

The car with a rust on the roof is based in Illinois. Of course, I will need to check the underneath the car as well when I see it.
I live in Indiana and I will need to travel to see the car.

Also, there is another car with 96k mileage. But the car fax report says that there was an accident involving the left side impact in 2007. The guy is selling it for $6000. No rust, clean title.
Please, advise. I do not know if I can check what kind of impact the accident did on the car. If I show this car to an Acura dealer, will they be able to tell me if the is good or not, considering the accident?

Yes, I want the RSX to drive. Not going to mod it. The one with low mileage that DC5_USMC advised does not have a leather interior. I really want it with leather interior.

Thank you.

·
GJS
131 Posts
Also, there is another car with 96k mileage. But the car fax report says that there was an accident involving the left side impact in 2007. The guy is selling it for $6000. No rust, clean title.
Well it's been 10 years since the accident, if it's still in good working condition then you'll be good. Ask if they know what happened and if they do then inspect the areas it was hit. See how the body work lines up, if it's flush or not.

But that looks like it has a good amount of miles and if it has no rust I would go with that one. But wouldn't offer $6000, offer less.

I prefer not to have any rust, I had a 240sx that had rust on the roof and just got worse and started to leak when it rained. I would get in and I would sit in a puddle of water or it would be super humid and smell nasty. Miss that car though lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it's been 10 years since the accident, if it's still in good working condition then you'll be good. Ask if they know what happened and if they do then inspect the areas it was hit. See how the body work lines up, if it's flush or not.

But that looks like it has a good amount of miles and if it has no rust I would go with that one. But wouldn't offer $6000, offer less.

I prefer not to have any rust, I had a 240sx that had rust on the roof and just got worse and started to leak when it rained. I would get in and I would sit in a puddle of water or it would be super humid and smell nasty. Miss that car though lol
It is a second owner and he does not know what happened. I understand that it's been 10 years. But still not sure. He is selling the car because he can walk to work. Not a very convenient answer as we still need cars apart from getting to work and back.
Really don't know what to do.

Do you think an Acura dealership can tell exactly if it's in a good shape regarding the accident?

·
GJS
131 Posts
It is a second owner and he does not know what happened. I understand that it's been 10 years. But still not sure. He is selling the car because he can walk to work. Not a very convenient answer as we still need cars apart from getting to work and back.

Do you think an Acura dealership can tell exactly if it's in a good shape regarding the accident?
I doubt it and if they do look at it they might charge you some type of fee.
Do you have a friend that works in body shop or know someone ?

I would do a visual test and push in the body panels to see if they are flimsy or not lined up. Test drive the car and run it hard.
Does the car fax tell you which place made the repairs. If it's a dealership you should be good.
I bought mine that was in a fender bender several years ago. Repairs were made in dealership and I did notice the bumper on one side was not 100% lined up. But you can barely notice unless you look for it. I couldn't complain because I chewed the guy down a lot on price and the paint and interior was in great condition.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I doubt it and if they do look at it they might charge you some type of fee.
Do you have a friend that works in body shop or know someone ?

I would do a visual test and push in the body panels to see if they are flimsy or not lined up. Test drive the car and run it hard.
Does the car fax tell you which place made the repairs. If it's a dealership you should be good.
I bought mine that was in a fender bender several years ago. Repairs were made in dealership and I did notice the bumper on one side was not 100% lined up. But you can barely notice unless you look for it. I couldn't complain because I chewed the guy down a lot on price and the paint and interior was in great condition.
No, it just states - 12/10/2007 New York
Damage Report
Accident reported
Involving left side impact

nothing about repair job after that.

I'm okay to pay for the inspection by the acura if that helps me to find out if the damage was severe or nothing to do with a mechanical part.

·
Registered
20 Posts

I was just coming on here to suggest taking it to a dealership for an inspection.

Yes, there is a fee, as they are providing you with a service. I had mine inspected at an Acura dealership before purchase. It was about $70, and I feel it was a thorough inspection. They were an unbiased third party that didn't just tell me what I wanted to hear so I could buy it. Found out both rear shocks were leaking, which helped me negotiate the price in my favor. Car is getting a new clutch and rear shocks at the moment. If you're going to keep this car for the long haul, it may be worth investing a few dollars to make sure you know what you're buying.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was just coming on here to suggest taking it to a dealership for an inspection.

Yes, there is a fee, as they are providing you with a service. I had mine inspected at an Acura dealership before purchase. It was about $70, and I feel it was a thorough inspection. They were an unbiased third party that didn't just tell me what I wanted to hear so I could buy it. Found out both rear shocks were leaking, which helped me negotiate the price in my favor. Car is getting a new clutch and rear shocks at the moment. If you're going to keep this car for the long haul, it may be worth investing a few dollars to make sure you know what you're buying.
Came back to add, this is great if you don't know what you're looking for. I'm good at maintanence and really basic/cosmetic stuff. I have what I need to keep it looking clean and running smoothly day to day.

As for the accident, are they the original owners? Do they have pictures of the accident? My new to me RSX was in a minor fender bender in the last 18 months. I saw pictures of the original damage, and a list of repairs. Most were cosmetic, like the bumper being slightly damaged, and they were repaired flawlessly. If you can, get more info. It'll help you make an informed decision.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Came back to add, this is great if you don't know what you're looking for. I'm good at maintanence and really basic/cosmetic stuff. I have what I need to keep it looking clean and running smoothly day to day.

As for the accident, are they the original owners? Do they have pictures of the accident? My new to me RSX was in a minor fender bender in the last 18 months. I saw pictures of the original damage, and a list of repairs. Most were cosmetic, like the bumper being slightly damaged, and they were repaired flawlessly. If you can, get more info. It'll help you make an informed decision.
No, they are the second owners and they don't have any info regarding the accident.
All I know through carfax that the airbags did not deploy, there were no frame damage.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is another car which is sold by a dealership for $6900 with 124k mileage - 2005, excellent condition per seller, clean carfax, 2 owners and no rust. They offer the car with 6k miles or 180 days warranty.
Do you guys think I should go for that? How much I can reduce the price from a dealer? They don't usually reduce much, do they?

Say they reduce the price to $6500. What do you think about this car comparing to others I mentioned earlier in my posts?

·
GJS
131 Posts
I would never buy from dealer unless it's a new/newer car, they have a bunch of fees and you'll get hit with taxes. If you buy from private seller you can avoid a lot of taxes.
You wouldn't even be able to have it checked somewhere else like you want to. My friend was shopping for an RSX and the ones at the dealership were the most expensive and in the worst condition.
If you do go see it and it's in good condition, I would low ball it big time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would never buy from dealer unless it's a new/newer car, they have a bunch of fees and you'll get hit with taxes. If you buy from private seller you can avoid a lot of taxes.
You wouldn't even be able to have it checked somewhere else like you want to. My friend was shopping for an RSX and the ones at the dealership were the most expensive and in the worst condition.
If you do go see it and it's in good condition, I would low ball it big time.
Agreed. They are some greedy sons of .... well you know. You can get a much better deal from a private seller, just be patient.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agreed. They are some greedy sons of .... well you know. You can get a much better deal from a private seller, just be patient.
Thank you guys. Yeah, the price is high at the dealer.
The best option I see is the one that had an accident in 2007. No frame damage, no rust, no airbag deployed, 96k mileage.
The car is not registered because he is selling it and not driving. I was thinking to get the car to Acura dealershop to check it out, but now I can't. Any advise on how I can check it out? Also, how can I test drive it wilit registration? Anybody knows? Please, advise.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts