Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
affirmative. imagine putting a bag over your head and expecting yourself to breathe once you have used up all the air in the bag. then think about how much suction your car makes (usually 24inmg if stock engine) and think if the bags limp characteristics can overcome that type of vacuum.

the only way you will hydro lock is if the filter is completely submerged in the water. picture your filter being 6 inches long. put it half way into water, now you have a 3" long filter. the air will simply come through that top 3 inches of the filter and not suck in any water. it is simple physics. even if a small amount of water was intrroduced into the intake, it would simply cool down the intake air, evaporate, and your engine would be fine. i used to spray a massive amount of water/methanol into my k20 with no issue.

a better solution may be to fabricate a shield that prevents water from hitting the filter directly and then having an effective drainage spout that would re-direct any water that got by, into some type of drain and back onto the ground. if you have puddles higher than your air filter, just dont drive the car.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Buy a hydro shield. It’s a mesh pre-filter that’s been treated with water repellant chemicals. They usually last around 2 years.

This won’t prevent hydrolock, but it helps.

·
Curious Gooner
3,700 Posts
The only solution is to buy a SRI. While the Hydroshield is nice and all, it still wont prevent hydrolock should you suck up too much water.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Here's my Injen CAI with the hydroshield. Pretty much if you get a lot of rain, you should get a SRI. The hydroshield won't save you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks man looks like mine. Sad thing is I already hydrolocked my car the other day. Not sure to sell the car as is or what. Found a 370z I'm interested in but don't want to let go of the RSX. Car finally started but theres's some black smoke coming from the exhaust, any ideas on what it could mean?

·
05' Base Auto = :(
69 Posts
I doubt you truly hydro locked your engine. What you describe sounds like something that happened to me. Likely what happened was that your air intake filter became saturated with water, like a wet washcloth over your mouth, and your car couldn't breathe. Likely though you did suck up some small amount of water, or just moisture and you NEED to immediately get your oil and oil filter changed. Check your oil dip stick, your oil will likely look like light brown chocolate milk. Your car probably started working again because the air filter partially dried out and the air is able to pass through it again.

Get your oil and oil filter changed, then buy a hydro shield or change over to a Short Ram Air Intake or don't drive when there is heavy rain or standing water.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I doubt you truly hydro locked your engine. What you describe sounds like something that happened to me. Likely what happened was that your air intake filter became saturated with water, like a wet washcloth over your mouth, and your car couldn't breathe. Likely though you did suck up some small amount of water, or just moisture and you NEED to immediately get your oil and oil filter changed. Check your oil dip stick, your oil will likely look like light brown chocolate milk. Your car probably started working again because the air filter partially dried out and the air is able to pass through it again.

Get your oil and oil filter changed, then buy a hydro shield or change over to a Short Ram Air Intake or don't drive when there is heavy rain or standing water.
Thanks man, and yeah I think I had just clogged her up with water which caused it not to run. I thought the mechanic changed the oil but they will today. I'm ready to hit VTEC again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts