Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
arent people scared of hydrolocking if u have CAI?
i only know this happened on odie. what about other peeps?
what do we do to prevent this? ( ex. dont drive into a pile of water) what else?

·
ep3 or what
194 Posts
just dont drive fast when its raining. you dont want water splashing under your car...yaH im kinda scared of hydrolocking too but i havent gotten water in my engine....yet

if you really want to prevent it, you can get a bypass valve like the ones aem provides for their intakes. or you can get injen standard intake (SRI) and then get the cold air extension (CAI) so you can take off the cold air extension when it rains.

but for me, i just drive carefully in the rain

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn that plan is too expensive. i wanted to get the INJEN CAI coz it gives more power but im afraid of hydrolocking. im posting this to convince myself to get a injen cai

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The cases of this happenning are few and far between because you would have to almost completely submerge the cai in order for the car to do this, and that is not very likely. The fear is there but it shouldn't be something you should be afraid of unless you live in an area where floods are normal which you aren't.

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
btw

hydroplaning = tires don't touch pavement and sliding on a sheet of water

hydrolocking = cai sucks up water

i think everyone knows what you're talking about though :)

V2! hehe

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh im sorry i did put it on the thread but i mispelled it on INSIDE THE my post. im sorry ill changed that. thanks

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
i've never heard of people hydrolocking their cars because they have cold air intakes? has anyone ever had this happen to them?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
ombastic said:
i've never heard of people hydrolocking their cars because they have cold air intakes? has anyone ever had this happen to them?
A friend of mine did this but as I stated the cai or cold air intake had to be completely submerged for this to happen. It is very rare.

·
Registered
24,670 Posts
yea it's pretty rare. we've had i think 3 instances of someone doing it on these forums. i think all of were big puddles and tried to drive thru.

·
28,750 Posts
tech9 - I thought the AEM Byplass Valve didn't fit on the RSX intakes? And just wondering, its probably possible to modify it to fit the Injen right?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
If you're on the highway or something, and there's no way to get out of the way of the huge puddle, then I would suggest putting the clutch in and shutting the car off. Flat out, may not be the best for the car, but the suction from the engine will be cut off and no hydrolock. IF you live in missouri or some big flood area go with a v2, but other than the that it's not a big issue and the CAI gains are irresistable :)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
pints99 said:
If you're on the highway or something, and there's no way to get out of the way of the huge puddle, then I would suggest putting the clutch in and shutting the car off. Flat out, may not be the best for the car, but the suction from the engine will be cut off and no hydrolock. IF you live in missouri or some big flood area go with a v2, but other than the that it's not a big issue and the CAI gains are irresistable :)
If it would be unavoidable yes that would probably be the best bet.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
What about just letting it idle? Would that be enough suction to hydrolock the engine by coasting through a puddle? (Just ankle deep.)

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Doesn't really matter at what RPM you are at, if the bulk of your filter is underwater the pressure will be high enough to suck up water instead of air.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ive been drive through slush and snow at high speeds for the last 3 years and still no hydrolocking. I drive through puddles as well. u seriously have to submerge your filter in the water ( which is what? a foot deep?) to suck up water. if u guys r still worried, stick with your stock intake box. most short rams decrease hp

·
Stunnahood Co-Founder
2,531 Posts
Just dont drive into any lakes, rivers, or ponds and you will be straight. I just drive around in a high gear if its raining heavily (I dont go over 2500 rpms and try to say around 2000 rpm's)
-Tony

1 - 20 of 170 Posts