Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know what it sounds like in a base with a cai when it hits vtec. Also can you hear it before vtec. I have always wondered if it got noticably loud like my type-s did with the v2 at vtec.

Thanks,
Dustin

·
I am a non smoker
1,684 Posts
yea on the base, the Vtec is set on 2200, it isnt even a 1/4 of the sound like the Type-s, dont ever look forward to the vtec sound with intake on a base because you wont hear it well.

·
B Like Mike
9,330 Posts
DallasRSX said:
yea on the base, the Vtec is set on 2200, it isnt even a 1/4 of the sound like the Type-s, dont ever look forward to the vtec sound with intake on a base because you wont hear it well.
actually, i have an sri...and i can feel it AND hear it at 3000rpm's...at 2800rpm thats when the 1st intake lobe starts to opens up....and then at 4500rpms(?)...thats when the bigger one opens up...base rsx's only have vtec on the intake lobe...and type s has it on the intake and exhaust lobe...thats y theirs is much louder....and it doesn't matter if you have an auto or manual...ITS STILL VTEC! :drool: ...and your post was poop...

·
I am a non smoker
1,684 Posts
u kno the funny thing is, i just got a SRI from my brother for a graduation gift in the mail, i will be putting that on after i take my car into the dealer to see whats wrong with it...thanks for clarifing (sp) this

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well that kinda sucks you don't hear the cross over. I think she is gonna be disapointed since my type s is such a noticable crossover.

Ok well can you guys/girls with autos feel the power increase?

Also does the intake give you a new sound (ie throatier)

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
RSXPiiimP said:
actually, i have an sri...and i can feel it AND hear it at 3000rpm's...at 2800rpm thats when the 1st intake lobe starts to opens up....and then at 4500rpms(?)...thats when the bigger one opens up...base rsx's only have vtec on the intake lobe...and type s has it on the intake and exhaust lobe...thats y theirs is much louder....and it doesn't matter if you have an auto or manual...ITS STILL VTEC! :drool: ...and your post was poop...
hahaha where do you get your information?

Base iVTEC does NOT have anything to do with dual intake runner manifold opening or switching. Long runner is always open up to 4700rpm, then SWITCH to short runner. It is one runner or the other, not one open and then another. According to you, if the first one doesn't open til 2800rpm, then how do you get air into the engine to begin ignition?

The K20A3 uses plastic dual length intake runners similar to the GSR The short runners provide an additional 5-10 ft. lb of torque between 3000-5000 rpm. The short runners contribute to top end power from 5000-7000 rpm.

The switch to short runners is made at 4700 on increasing revs and back to long runners at 4500 on descending revs. The throttle body is 60 mm in diameter. The long runner is 38mm in diameter by 540 mm. This is quite narrow and provides a high intake velocity, peaking torque at 4000 rpm. The short runners measure 40 by 270 mm.

Base iVTEC has to do with valves.

Under 2200 rpm, this engine is a effectively a 12 valve engine, and over 2200 rpm it is a 16 valve. There is no VTEC mechanism on the K20A3 exhaust valves.

Basically, this head does not breath well compared to the K20A2. It seems designed for low end torque, emissions and economy.

The K20A2 head uses three cams per pair of inlet valves on both the exhaust and inlet. The low lift cams on this head are probably very similar to the high lift cams on the K20A3. The high lift cams engage at 5800 rpm and disengage at 5600 rpm.

http://www.hondata.com/techk20general.html

I don't know about you guys but I can't hear iVTEC in my base. It is impossible. The switch to second intake runner just get slightly louder, but then again it may be your engine noise increasing as rev increase.

·
I am a non smoker
1,684 Posts
i just installed my sri.,....when i took it out on a cruise, it was weird becuase once traffic freed up, i did a 2nd gear punch, and it started to go good, but after 5k i could feel this noticable pull....anyone kno what im talking about? it was like after 5kishhh...

·
On a mission from God
1,564 Posts
Yeah around 5k you feel some pickup on the base, the second runner opening? Base Vtec certainly doesn't make any noticable noise at 2200, i don't even feel any gains at that point.

Intake does give you a throatier sound though, I love mine <Neuspeed> nice deep tone, not loud unless you really get on it.

·
On a mission from God
1,564 Posts
allmotor-s said:
The only reason you feel pick-up after 5k is because you're getting near the power band. There is no vtec on K20A3s.
And i know the pickup @ 5k isn't vtec, base vtec kicks in much lower, and I'll say it for you, yes, type-S vtec is much better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.